Marijuana Legalization Texas: House Committee Approves Bill Hb 2165

• Thread starter johnnyrotten
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten

The Texas House of Representatives Criminal Jurisprudence Committee on Wednesday approved a bill 5-1 that moves the state closer to legalizing marijuana for adults, reports ABC affiliate KSAT. Introduced in March by David Simpson, R-Texas, HB 2165 would remove marijuana offenses from Texas statutes.

If marijuana became legal in Texas, the state would join four others that have already adopted laws that regulate and tax marijuana like alcohol. Colorado and Washington have implemented the regulated cultivation and sale of marijuana, and Alaska and Oregon are in the process of doing so. In Texas, 58 percent of voters believe marijuana should be legal for adults and that it should be regulated like alcohol, according to a 2013 survey conducted Public Policy Polling.

Although some pro-legalization advocates are heartened by the bill's success, others say it's unlikely to become law this year.

Storm Raven

Storm Raven

What about all those fuckers in the can for thousand pound loads? Is Texas gonna walk away from their lucrative prison industry? Something tells me no..

I agree my friend but these politicians are in a catch 22. Always remember regardless of party all politicians have only two goals: 1. get elected, and 2. get reelected. They now see that the majority of citizens want it legalized so they realize it helps them with their two goals to support legalization. So we will see more and more from both parties supporting legalization.

johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten

its really surprising that it made it this far, I've got my fingers crossed for this one because if it happened in TX then national wouldn't be far behind.

johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten

What about all those fuckers in the can for thousand pound loads? Is Texas gonna walk away from their lucrative prison industry? Something tells me no..

Yeah, I think your right on this but I really think this could start to become a civil rights issue in Texas, I read somewhere that black males are arrested 35 times more for marijuana crimes than whites despite the same percentage of use and a smaller population size.

The drug war has failed the people of Texas and the United States, I mean who wants their kid to get jail time and a fine for a fucking joint? Not me, and I wouldn't vote for somebody that supported it either. The cops are getting beat down in the media nationally, videos are showing the truth about them and the citizens are getting pissed off about it and want change. It comes down to the politicians and whether they think they can get elected again if they don't.

S

Seed Buyer

States will start falling like dominoes. To much money on the table. Pretty much every state has some form of medical/decrim bill in the works. Most will not go overnight but its on the horizon.

zeke

zeke

So until then, may all of our incarcerated brethren find their state issued sleeping mats soft, their "not for human consumption " mystery meat nourishing, their Bob Barker supplied soap sudsy and their cellie less psychotic and rapey. Man, we need to get rid of these asshole politicians that use people as Election Day fodder.....

Storm Raven

Storm Raven

So until then, may all of our incarcerated brethren find their state issued sleeping mats soft, their "not for human consumption " mystery meat nourishing, their Bob Barker supplied soap sudsy and their cellie less psychotic and rapey. Man, we need to get rid of these asshole politicians that use people as Election Day fodder.....

I hear you my friend I just got out of prison for growing weed myself.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Not to hijack the thread, here is a more in depth look at this legislation.

texas-flag.jpg

AUSTIN, TX — A bill that would completely end marijuana prohibition in Texas was approved by a legislative committee in the Texas House on Wednesday.

The Texas House of Representatives Criminal Jurisprudence Committee voted 5-2 to approve the measure, which would strike most references to marijuana offenses from Texas law. The final vote came after the committee tweaked the bill to make clear that marijuana would still be illegal to consume for minors, except with parental supervision.

The proposal goes beyond marijuana legalization efforts in other states, which seek to tax and regulate the plant, instead allowing pot to be regulated like tomatoes, jalapeños, coffee, or any other crop grown in the state.

The bill, House Bill 2165, was introduced on Texas Independence Day in March by Rep. David Simpson (R-Longview), a conservative Republican from East Texas.

“Current marijuana policies are not based on science or sound evidence, but rather misinformation and fear,” Simpson said in March. “All that God created is good, including marijuana. God did not make a mistake when he made marijuana that the government needs to fix.”

“Let’s allow the plant to be utilized for good—helping people with seizures, treating warriors with PTSD, producing fiber and other products—or simply for beauty and enjoyment,” Simpson added. “Government prohibition should be for violent actions that harm your neighbor—not of the possession, cultivation, and responsible use of plants.”

If passed, the bill would repeal dozens of Texas laws related to marijuana prohibition. Instead of being considered an illegal drug, cannabis would be regulated like any common crop in the Lone Star State.

Nearly three out of five Texas voters (58 percent) support making marijuana legal for adults and regulating it like alcohol, according to a statewide survey conducted by Public Policy Polling in September 2013.

“Marijuana prohibition’s days are numbered in the Lone Star State,” said Heather Fazio, Texas political director for the Marijuana Policy Project. “Texas voters recognize that punishing adults for consuming a substance that is safer than alcohol is a waste of law enforcement resources and an affront to individual liberty.”

“State officials are increasingly becoming fed up with the failed federal government policy of marijuana prohibition, and they’re taking action,” Fazio said. “Like most Americans, most Texans are ready for a more sensible, fiscally sound marijuana policy.”

The committee’s approval of HB 2165 — which is unlikely to advance any further this year — comes just days after the same committee approved a measure to reduce penalties for marijuana possession, replacing the possibility of arrest for the possession of up to one ounce of marijuana with a civil fine of up to $250.

Top Bottom