Marijuana Users Not High Priority for President Obama

• Thread starter DoobieDuck
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Darth Fader

Darth Fader

Nice job explaining back to me what I just explained to you, but taking about 10 times as many words to do so. Dude, not my fault if you can't present your thoughts clearly and coherently. I'm getting tired of having to correct you so often and it's making me feel guilty and mean.

You don't hold hands, you make technically false statements and then try to shift your talking points to dance around and ignore them when corrected. Here's a quick example, you refer to federal law trumping state law, implying the supremacy clause, and then follow it with an incoherent and incorrect statement: "Meaning that ANYTHING that is illegal on the state level as it regards weed--is also illegal Federally."

But to return to the original premise. Obie-smokadoobie is still going after MMJ worse than Bush. He might not have to prosecute MMJ dispensaries if he can destroy them thru threats to landlords, the IRS, and banking. So for anyone to view his latest actions as any type of benevolent reversal, or coming out against prohibition as Presidents Carter and Clinton ARE DOING, is foolish as this is the same parsed doublespeak we've already heard from him. As a "scientist" (LOL) I would think you'd know better. Rah-Rah! Sis-boom-bah!!

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

darthfader: If a year goes by or say two, amd obama holds true to his word will you admit to you being wrong?

squiggly

squiggly

"Meaning that ANYTHING that is illegal on the state level as it regards weed--is also illegal Federally."

I meant within the current scope of discussion--which is these pending cases. They all broke federal law, there is no question--and the accusation by the federal government is that they also broke state law (which caused them to prosecute the federal crime).

I honestly don't understand what is so hard about this. Logical debate isn't about playing semantics. One of the principle concepts is keeping the scope narrow, and seeking to understand an argument within it. You're just looking to pick apart the things I say, rather than what is meant by them.

My meaning has been the SAME throughout. The feds say they're doing this because the people broke state law, and you can't prove differently--no matter how much you wring your hands or hate Obama about it.

Conversely, I've picked apart the things you mean, rather than how you've chosen to say them. If it was worth getting every syllable correct--I'd get right to that, but it's not--and this conversation is not.

Also, you're just plain wrong if you think Obama is hitting MJ harder than Bush.

Your bias exposes itself SO CLEARLY with that statement--and demonstrates that you really don't know what the fuck you're talking about. So ridiculous.

I can't remember ever having a reasonable exchange with you--and it's clear we aren't going to start now. I think you're a dumbass and you think I'm one.

Ignored.

I'll make sure to un-ignore you to shove your face all the fuck up in your wrongness when the time comes for that, though. Hope you're still around when that happens :) Peace until then!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
As for the letters, you're 100% correct. There was a lot of damage done there, so I don't want to just brush it off either--that's definitely significant. In terms of people who have had CHARGES levied against them, in every case the DEA/Justice Dpt has stated very clearly it is their intent to demonstrate that these facilities were operating outside of the confines of the laws IN THEIR STATES.

It is important to point out that prosecutions are being carried out federally, but with respect given to state laws. IE, the federal government has said that it intends to prove that these dispensaries operated in a way which was incongruous with state law.

No matter how you flip that coin, the law is the law. If it turns out they're bullshitting and all they're doing is trying to throw a wrench in things--well then paint me pink and call me a posy.

My guess is that the guys broke state law--time will tell.

If the justice deparment intends to prove this, its only possible through some type of surveillance/sting operation--which was an assumption on my part. Perhaps I'm wrong on that, but I doubt it (if the J.D. is telling the truth--which I imagine they are). I can't think of any other type of evidence that would hold up to the standard they set forth. When the ball starts rolling heavy in some of these trials we'll see if I have to eat my words, or you have to eat yours. Someone's eating something, though.

This is all opinion so far as the both of us are concerned right now, because not many details have been released.

Honestly, I don't feel a zealous need to protect Obama anymore--he's been re-elected, you're stuck with him :)

Now, more than anything, I'm just hoping I was right about the dude--time will tell. I never come into politics expecting anything much. As I've stated many time before, Obama was the better of two not-so-good choices that we had in this country--I'm far from singin' the dudes praises.
Harboside, then, you're asserting was operating out of compliance with state law? If that's the case, wouldn't the issue then fall under the purview of the state of California? And if that's the case, as it is with an acquaintance of mine, a hospice nurse who's being prosecuted in Tuolomne County for selling for profit, why hadn't the state taken up the cause? In fact, how is it that now the city of Oakland itself feels it has sufficient stake in this claim to go after the feds themselves?

From the IRS collecting taxes, which implies they accepted the fiscal basis, to the state's stance on this, the whole thing stinks and is declaration, proof positive that Obama is nothing resembling a man of his word. In other words, I don't think I could disagree with your assessment of the situation more. The DoJ is prosecuting whom it damn well pleases, irrespective of whether or not they're following state law.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Obama is 100 times worse on MJ than bush ever was,at least in california anyways,i dont know where you live squiggly.Its easy to talk shit on the internet but i have a feeling if you were to meet darth in person you wouldnt be shoving his face in anything,your ass would be running in the other direction,lol.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Yeah squiggly, your def not in cali and many clubs and towns won't even allow clubs...bama has done nothing to stop it if anything he comments one way and the actions go the other. Live here and see it firsthand and than tell me bama is good on mmj, lol

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
And squiggly, if your gonna say bama isn't in charge of those goons busting legal state clubs; than why the fuck is obama saying anything about mmj if he can't do anything or control anyone about it, it's smoke in the air man

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

darthfader: If a year goes by or say two, amd obama holds true to his word will you admit to you being wrong?

What word? And wrong about what exactly? I do think he is sincere when he says he won't use federal resources to go after individual users, but when has the federal government (as opposed to the state) ever made users a priority? A: Never. The DOJ also said last last month after the election that "Enforcement of the Controlled Substances Act remains unchanged." These two statements are completely compatible with each other. The DEA/feds will continue the drug war, and users will continue to not be a federal priority. IOW, business as usual.

If you're wondering if I can admit to being wrong, sure I can, but I insist that you be willing to so the same. "I was wrong" are some of the most powerful words that exist, they allow you to evolve past your errors.

I don't put a lot of stock in faith, so I doubt I would feel wrong about not having it. I mean really, you guys have a lot of nerve to expect us to start cheering for Obama after stuff like this.

No this just sounds like the same carefully parsing of words we heard 4 years ago, as lawyers and politicians famously do (depends on what the definition of is is). Is it within the realm of the possible that he is, in fact, a secret drug-war emancipator carefully biding his time, but what is there beyond blind faith to support that theory? No, skepticism is clearly the right call given the evidence and experience (fool me once ...).

I will sing his praises as soon as he makes clear, declarative statements opposing the prohibition policy like Carter & Clinton are currently doing.

squiggly

squiggly

Harboside, then, you're asserting was operating out of compliance with state law? If that's the case, wouldn't the issue then fall under the purview of the state of California?

It would--but not if there's a federal case and a US Attorney seeking to prosecute it.

And if that's the case, as it is with an acquaintance of mine, a hospice nurse who's being prosecuted in Tuolomne County for selling for profit, why hadn't the state taken up the cause? In fact, how is it that now the city of Oakland itself feels it has sufficient stake in this claim to go after the feds themselves?

The feds and the states don't always agree. I see this as a good thing.

From the IRS collecting taxes, which implies they accepted the fiscal basis, to the state's stance on this, the whole thing stinks and is declaration, proof positive that Obama is nothing resembling a man of his word.

What it means is they won't turn down free money. Big surprise.

I really must disagree politely with you here. I think the biggest problem here is that people haven't even listened to what the man said. Near as I can tell, he's done exactly what he said he would do--it's just that ya'll don't like it.

Now those are two different things. If you don't like him because you don't like what he's said--that's fine, but that's very different from "he didn't do what he said he'd do".

I think the big issue here here is that no one yet has the proof to show whether his administration has followed his words or not. We can all guess as much as we like, but until some of these cases move forward and we see the evidence--it's going to be really difficult to "call his bluff" so to speak.

I'm not defending him and saying he's done nothing wrong--I'm saying you can't prove that he has YET. Basically I think everyone should hold their horses.

There is a difference between being an activist and a zealot, and people would do well to remember it.

In other words, I don't think I could disagree with your assessment of the situation more. The DoJ is prosecuting whom it damn well pleases, irrespective of whether or not they're following state law.

Again, respectfully, I disagree with you and ask you for proof (which is a loaded question, because I know ahead of time that you don't have any).

That doesn't make me "right". What it says is we don't know yet. There just isn't enough evidence out there. We know a good portion of whom has been arrested--but many of the whys are yet to come.

Once again, all I'm suggesting is that we should hold off on the assaults until there is some solid proof that the pres has done something incongruous with what he actually said.

I don't want to be an asshole, but here's something you probably can't do.

1. Show me a quote, taken IN CONTEXT, from the president pertaining to drug policy.

2. Find me an action by his administration that goes counter to what he said in the quote.

3. Again, CONTEXT--which means that no qualifying statements should be left out. This SHOULD NOT be about playing semantics, but rather about addressing his ACTUAL meaning (which has been quite clear the entire time).

Because, to be honest, the skinny of it is that Obama has never said the feds were going to be lame-ducks on this. He said clearly that it's still federal law, and that he doesn't have the authority to say, "Hey everyone, don't enforce our laws--please?"

Really the best he can do is give some direction, but it should be noted that his administration DOES NOT have to listen to or follow that direction. He is not a king and they are not his court. I think this perhaps is the biggest misunderstanding in the whole thing. People attribute power to the president that he simply doesn't have.

He hasn't wavered on this guys, honest. The ENTIRE TIME he's been pointing the finger at congress and telling you that THEY need to change the law.

I'm sorry guys, but that's what the freakin' constitution says. Is it oppressive? Is it wrong? Do I hate it?

YES YES YES.

See I think that's the real issue. People aren't concerned AT ALL with what's been said, or what reality is--all they care about is the fact that people are being wronged (and I don't blame them).

Unfortunately this state/federal tug of war is murky water as it regards our law. You're seeing a manifestation of that.

Until you get some actual evidence that patients are being prosecuted, and people who operated within the confines of the law (state) are being prosecuted--there really is no opportunity to say whether Obama has gone back on his word or not, because the CRUX of his word rests on those two things.

He said patients would not be a priority, and those following state laws wouldn't be a priority.

I get it, your friends and acquaintances and facilities are under fire--no one is denying that.

Let's see the evidence.

Where is the proof that clears all of these defendant's names?

That's the missing link here. You'd all have us just take it on confidence that they didn't break the law--I'm sorry but that's not how it works.

I won't take that on confidence, and I certainly won't--by proxy--take it on confidence that the president is a liar.

If you can prove it to me, I'll be the first one to cry foul--believe that. I don't think Obama is untouchable--I think he hasn't been touched, yet. I'm MORE than open minded to the idea that he DID lie, it's just that you're all doing nothing but SAYING it.

Your words without proof are as good as his are to me--it's worth nothing.

My opinion on this is, effectively, in limbo--because the truth is that we just don't know yet. I'm not committing to one side or the other until the details pan out.

I DEFINITELY support the fight of all these defendants in all cases--because I think the plant should be legal and unregulated. Unfortunately, it isn't. I support them blindly--but I don't believe them blindly.

I'll need proof they didn't break the law just the same way THEY need that proof right now to be acquitted.

I'm going to wait until the cards are on the table, in a matter of speaking. You guys here are all just calling bluffs--the truth is you don't know up from down when it comes to whether or not these guys are innocent.

squiggly

squiggly

And squiggly, if your gonna say bama isn't in charge of those goons busting legal state clubs; than why the fuck is obama saying anything about mmj if he can't do anything or control anyone about it, it's smoke in the air man

Show me the quote you're referring to, and the proof positive he went back or against those words--and I'll be the first dude to be pissed along with you.

Again, I know ahead of time that you can't do this.

Honest, I get it why you guys are pissed. I get why you're looking for someone to blame it on.

If you want to know who to blame, look at your countrymen. We're the ones making the decisions when it comes right down to it.

Congress could change all of this, and our country hasn't made it a priority for them--period.

All I'm asking for here is a little congruence. Make what you're saying line up with what you can prove.

You guys want to assume the president into the ground--and it simply doesn't work that way. You, or someone, needs to PROVE IT.

Saying stuff is all well and good, but its just saying stuff--has no meaning without proof.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I'm not blaming anyone bro!! I'm simply saying why does it matter what Obama says verbally If he can't controll his minions as you have spoken many times. What is he saying that is new? Those letter sent to landlords have nothing to do with clubs breaking state law....how educated on california's club scene are you?

squiggly

squiggly

Live here and see it firsthand and than tell me bama is good on mmj, lol

Please let me clarify. I never said he was "good". I said he is better.

I said it's the best of two bad things.

The lesser of two evils.

None of these are rave reviews, mind you.

To my mind here's what's happening here:

You guys want a scapegoat, you choose Obama. You don't listen to what he says, you just sort of attack--or attempt to play semantics to bend his meaning around.

Now that I'm here, a much more clear and present scapegoat, you do the same thing to me. I've stated very clearly probably thousands of times on this board that I look at Obama as the lesser of two evils, and something that represented the best of two bad choices.

This has ALWAYS been my feeling about Obama (all the way back to his first election). What you might be forgetting is that I'm from Illinois and so I have a bit of a track record with the guy. I knew what to expect before he was elected, and I've always tread lightly as a supporter of his for this reason.

That doesn't matter to ya'll though. As soon as I ask you for proof, you make me out to be sucking the president's dick. Sorry guys, it doesn't work that way. I'm no better a scapegoat than he is. You're still going to have to prove it.

squiggly

squiggly

I'm not blaming anyone bro!! I'm simply saying why does it matter what Obama says verbally If he can't controll his minions as you have spoken many times. What is he saying that is new? Those letter sent to landlords have nothing to do with clubs breaking state law....how educated on california's club scene are you?

That's THE LAW, baba. They aren't his minions.

Earlier in the thread I already said the letters to landlords shit is fucked up--you've got no argument from me there.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
We are in full agreement on the letters as that was slimey...lol

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Again how is Obama better on MMJ? We had less interference under the two pres before him.

I like the guy too, but he hasn't done anything in his power for MMJ.

squiggly

squiggly

Again how is Obama better on MMJ? We had less interference under the two pres before him.

I like the guy too, but he hasn't done anything in his power for MMJ.

I think you'll find that if you do a REAL analysis of Bush vs Obama and you do the correct, scientific, analysis of it (which includes correcting for various factors--such as number of clubs, amount of product "legally" distributed)

You'll find that Bush kicks Obama's ass in this regard (in terms of interdiction efforts). The fact is that the boom of this industry has happened mostly on Obama's watch. He's in a unique situation in that way which defies in every way direct comparison to predecessors.

What my suggestion is, is that McCain would've done much worse (and that Bush would have under the same circumstances).

In fact I'll go further and say the boom flat out wouldn't have happened at all under either of these two--but I'll be clear and say that I'm guessing this as much as you're guessing the defendants in these federal cases didn't break the law.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I didn't say anyone didn't break federal laws in any standing case. Fuck I concede, your right.
Obama is better than an alternative of which we do not know. Been 16 years of clubs and it didn't all happen under Obama, there were a flood of clubs during Bush!! It started during bush, the flood of clubs. The econ downturn which was when? Was when Obama started this wasn't the biggest boom in club counts. L.A. before Obama had tons of clubs, and Bush didn't send those letters.

If you can prove the numbers of clubs during Bush years and the number in 2008 to now, I'm def open to see the facts. Would be interesting, sounds like you have done the analysis already as you keep saying Obama is better!

Let's just drop this, we will both argue to the end and neither of us really have the facts but I do see things with my eyes and I live where the shit is going down so I feel like I have insight or an idea of the political climate and clubs.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Also many towns that don't even have clubs or allow them nowadays all had clubs or multiple clubs in those town under Bush. That's a fact man.

There is a reason the delivery services have boomed during Obama, because the storefronts have been closed a lot.

squiggly

squiggly

Let me just offer a final word here.

What I'm attempting to be is a voice of reason. I don't really know whats going on in one direction or the other. It's my intention to suggest that neither do you guys.

Not that you're wrong, not that I'm right.

In fact I'm not trying to say anything is a certain way or not another way.

What I'm saying is that, within the scope of what's being discussed--you guys haven't made your case, and you are flinging some pretty serious insults and attacks on the back of your zero proof that you have.

When the dust settles, you guys might all be right--and I will be more than happy to admit you were always right, and jump on board with you in protest.

My mind is 100% open to the idea that you guys have gotten everything you've said here correct. I just don't think there's yet certainty in that, and so I'm still holding my cards.

By doing this I have probably the highest likelihood of ultimately being right--because I'm going to wait to make my judgment until the cards hit the table, not before.

Maybe I'm playing it safe and that's wrong, and I can agree that might be the case as well. If you guys end up being right, I will commend you for having been so from day one when the time comes.

I just don't think that time is yet here, and that is really my only argument.

I'm just wary of the GOP and pot policy more than anything--because I believe they have a proven track record of being against it. Not a guess, not cards waiting to hit the table--their cards are ALL OVER the table.

Hell, this is the group that originally made the shit illegal. It is their "family values" that keep it illegal now. Really they were the only justification EVER USED in the attempt to make it illegal in the first place, and they are the first line of defense against making it legal now.

To me there is no question in this, and so while Obama might not be the MJ hero we all wanted, I think he's significantly better than someone coming from a party who's precepts gave the ONLY justification for making this shit illegal in the first place.

While I think some of the things people SAY here are incorrect--I have no opinion as to whether or not their overall belief is correct or not.

I'm wary, I don't know if my belief is correct--but it IS my belief. I think it's a well-founded one.

Time will tell.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Only prob squiggly is the stuff I'm talking about has ALREADY happened, don't know what your waiting for. But maybe this time after the president repeated himself we'll see a different action, who knows, I hope we do!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom