Matching I S To Drivers?

• Thread starter FutureGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FutureGrower

so I understand some basics but I’m not confident enough to make a purchase order just yet, and I was hoping somebody can help me

I know that watts = volts X current but on vero’s Website they only show 69.x volts @1.75afor the vero29 C’s. Then they show something closer to 1.1a but I really want to run a 1400mh for the added efficacy and to be honest just to save a little electricity.

If I run the lower drive current can I just calculate the number of cobs I want and multiply by 70 volts to see what driver will run them? Since they’ll be closer to 68 volts a piece what will happen with the extra volts in the driver?

Also do I calculate for driver losses? Say I have a 100v capable driver with a 10% loss, would i only calculate for 90v of cobs? I have the same question for for watts also.

Anyone who took the time to read and potentially reply thank you :)

F

FutureGrower

It’s supposed to be cobs to drivers for the thread title but I don’t know how to change it

Toaster79

Toaster79

Your driver has certain voltage range where it can supply constant current. For exact number of your cob forward voltage you'll have to have a look at datasheet. If you want to run your cobs at 1400mA wired in series you need to find a driver that will supply that current to the number of your cobs while in it's voltage range. For 4 veros that run at 68V at 1400mA at 50°C you need to find a driver that is gonna supply at least 272V at 1400mA. If it can supply few volts more even better. Check datasheets and do some math.

Regarding driver losses, those happen in the driver before the power is supplied to you cobs. So a 320W Meanwell running at full load is about 94% efficient. The other 6% are being turned into heat in the driver itself and are supplied from the wall. So basically your 320W driver should pull about 340W from the wall.

F

FutureGrower

Your driver has certain voltage range where it can supply constant current. For exact number of your cob forward voltage you'll have to have a look at datasheet. If you want to run your cobs at 1400mA wired in series you need to find a driver that will supply that current to the number of your cobs while in it's voltage range. For 4 veros that run at 68V at 1400mA at 50°C you need to find a driver that is gonna supply at least 272V at 1400mA. If it can supply few volts more even better. Check datasheets and do some math.

Regarding driver losses, those happen in the driver before the power is supplied to you cobs. So a 320W Meanwell running at full load is about 94% efficient. The other 6% are being turned into heat in the driver itself and are supplied from the wall. So basically your 320W driver should pull about 340W from the wall.

Thank you buddy! I checked vero's data sheets and they didn't have anything for the C's running @1.4a that's why I was wondering if buying something with a little extra volts would be bad. You answered my question perfectly thank you sir.

K

kansabis

IMG 20180620 121207
I run the vero29 d at 1400ma but the D's are 36volts so i can run up to 4 of em with my driver,actually anywhere from 2-4 and currently I'm running 3. Ledgardener has a tool that helps you match up drivers and cobs,even a few of the quantum boards,check it out sometime,it helped me out alot.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Thank you buddy! I checked vero's data sheets and they didn't have anything for the C's running @1.4a that's why I was wondering if buying something with a little extra volts would be bad. You answered my question perfectly thank you sir.

You have given voltage at 1100mA and at 1750mA. 1425mA would be right in the middle ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom