Mayo Clinic adds marijuana to it's lists of Meds...

• Thread starter MtGrownCanna
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MtGrownCanna

MtGrownCanna

Marijuana as medicine: Consider the pros and cons
mayoclinic_com_sm_3.gif

Marijuana — Understand the facts about using marijuana for nausea, pain and other medical problems.
People have used marijuana as a medical treatment for thousands of years. Such uses extend even to modern America. Marijuana was listed by the U.S. Pharmacopeia, the organization that sets quality standards for approved drugs in the United States, until the 1940s, when political pressure against marijuana's recreational use triggered its removal.

Despite the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling that state laws allowing medicinal use of marijuana must bow to federal law banning it, proponents still tout this controversial plant's ability to treat pain, nausea and other uncomfortable side effects of medical treatment as well as some disease symptoms.

Marijuana 101: The plant and its components
Marijuana refers to the dried flowers, leaves, stems and seeds of the Cannabis sativa plant. These parts contain the compounds that produce the mind-altering effect that recreational users seek when smoking or ingesting the plant — but they also provide components with potential medical benefits.

Marijuana contains at least 60 chemicals called cannabinoids. Researchers are evaluating how effective some of these cannabinoids might be in controlling symptoms of certain medical conditions. For example:

• THC. An abbreviation for delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, THC is the main component responsible for marijuana's mind-altering effect. It also may help treat signs and symptoms such as nausea and vomiting that are associated with a number of medical conditions.
  • Cannabinol and cannabidiol. These compounds have some of the properties of THC, but cause less psychoactive effects — the high.
  • Dronabinol (Marinol). Dronabinol (dro-NAB-in-ol) is a man-made version of THC available by prescription. It's used to prevent nausea and vomiting after cancer chemotherapy when other medicines for these side effects don't work, and to increase appetite in people with AIDS.
How it works
When smoked or ingested, THC and other cannabinoids in marijuana attach to two types of receptors on cells in your body — like keys in a lock — affecting the cells, once attached.

CB1 is one such receptor. CB1 receptors are found mainly in your brain, especially in areas that control body movement, memory and vomiting. This helps explain why marijuana use affects balance and coordination and impairs short-term memory and learning, and why it can be useful in treating nausea, pain and loss of appetite.

The other type of receptor, CB2, is found in small numbers elsewhere in your body, mainly in tissue of the immune system, such as your spleen and lymph nodes. The function of these receptors is not well understood. They may serve as brakes on immune system function, which may help explain why marijuana suppresses your immune system.

After you smoke marijuana, its ingredients reach their peak levels in your body within minutes, and effects can last up to an hour and a half. When eaten — the plant is sometimes mixed with food — the ingredients can take several hours to reach their peak levels in your body, and their effects may last for hours.

The prescription drug dronabinol, which is taken as an oral capsule, takes effect in about 30 minutes and can continue to stimulate appetite for more than a day.

Possible medical uses
Scientists studying marijuana's potential medical uses have found that it may help treat a variety of conditions.

Nausea
One of THC's medical uses best supported by research is the treatment of nausea. It can improve mild to moderate nausea caused by cancer chemotherapy and help reduce nausea and weight loss in people with AIDS.

Younger people may find marijuana more useful as a treatment for nausea than do older people — who may not tolerate its mind-altering side effects as well. The prescription form, dronabinol, also may produce psychological side effects that make it inappropriate for some older people. Doctors generally prescribe several kinds of newer anti-nausea drugs with fewer side effects before resorting to dronabinol.

Glaucoma
This disease — the third-leading cause of blindness in the United States — is marked by increased pressure in the eyeball, which can lead to vision loss.

In the early 1970s, scientists discovered that smoking marijuana reduced pressure in the eyes. Exactly how the cannabinoids in marijuana produce this effect isn't known. Scientists have discovered CB1 receptors in the eyes, which may provide clues for future research on how marijuana affects glaucoma.

Your doctor can prescribe other medications to treat glaucoma, but these can lose their effectiveness over time. Researchers are working to develop medications containing cannabinoids that can be put directly on the eyes — to avoid the mind-altering side effects and other health consequences of smoking the plant.

Pain
People widely used marijuana for pain relief in the 1800s, and several studies have found that cannabinoids have analgesic effects. In fact, THC may work as well in treating cancer pain as codeine, a mild pain reliever. Cannabinoids also appear to enhance the effects of opiate pain medications to provide pain relief at lower dosages.

Researchers currently are developing new medications based on cannabis to treat pain.

Multiple sclerosis
Research results on the effectiveness of cannabinoids in the treatment of the tremors, muscle spasms and pain of multiple sclerosis (MS) — a disease of the nervous system that can cause muscle pain — are mixed. A 2003 study found that cannabinoids significantly reduced pain in people with multiple sclerosis.

Some scientists feel that more research may show cannabinoids useful in treating MS. Marijuana may protect nerves from the kind of damage that occurs during the disease. They also suggest that animal study results, knowledge of CB1 receptors in the brain and users' reports of decreased symptoms after using marijuana support this possibility. However, others advise caution in using marijuana to treat MS, given the modest therapeutic effects cannabinoids have demonstrated so far and the potential of long-term adverse side effects.

Not without risks
Though some doctors and patients suggest marijuana has a legitimate use, the United States government disagrees. Federal law recognizes marijuana as a Schedule I drug, which classifies it as one of "the most dangerous drugs that have no recognized medical use." If law-enforcement officers find you with the drug in your possession, the penalty can range from a small fine to a prison sentence.

Along with the legal implications, smoking marijuana poses several health risks, including:

• Impairment of thinking, problem-solving skills and memory
  • Reduced balance and coordination
  • Increased risk of heart attack
  • Heightened risk of chronic cough and respiratory infections
  • Potential for hallucinations and withdrawal symptoms
Also, marijuana smoke contains 50 percent to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke and has the potential to cause cancer of the lungs and respiratory tract. Marijuana smoke is commonly inhaled deeper and held longer than is tobacco smoke, increasing the lungs' exposure to carcinogens.

These risks should be taken into account when considering the use of marijuana for medical purposes. If you are experiencing uncomfortable symptoms or side effects of medical treatment, especially pain and nausea, talk to your doctor about all your options before trying marijuana.

A

A20Grower

Please tell me if I am missing anything. Marijuana is a schedule class 1 drug, no recognized medical benefit.

The language in A20 specifically states that insurance companies are not obligated to pay for claims arising from the use and abuse of a class (schedule) 1 drug.

While it's nice to see more Americans that are okay with marijuana, there is simply too much money going into the criminal justice/courts/prison industrial complex to make it just go away.

Also, if you are hurt on the job your disability may be affected by 50% if drugs are detected.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Why is Mayo saying that cannabis smoke has the potential to cause cancer of the lungs when there is evidence that shows the opposite, that it may in fact be effective against cancers, including those of the lungs?

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Frustrating when individuals are more informed than these agencies.

Maybe I'm alone in this frustration but I'm tired of seeing cannabis described as marijuana. Some research into the popularization of the term show it is partly responsible for a lot of confusion which led to cannabis being made illegal in the first place.

I'm also tired of doctors saying "medicine /science doesn't know why cannabis works" to excuse the fact that they have not researched it's potential benefits. Researchers have discovered and we know exactly how cannabis compounds react in the body, why they are effective and why there is no central nervous system depression associated with even the most massive doses. We have even discovered the natural neurotransmitters that cannabis compounds mimic (anandamide, etc.), the enzymes which destroy those natural compounds (FAAH), and all the associated negative bodily reactions that happen as a result.

Tired of doctors thinking they know more about a patients health than the content of the patients experience.
In other words I've seen ignorant doctors demonize cannabis when it's been the only effective agent in the patients arsenal. One person I've supplied for several years stopped taking cannabis at her doctors suggestion after more than 4 years of consistent use- 2 months later she's under observation in psych because she ate a bottle of her husbands anti anxiety drugs followed by a bottle of his pain killers. This is a former emergency room nurse who's been looking after her ailing husband the last decade- in short, she is one of the strongest and most positive humans I've ever encountered. Two months on suggested pharmaceutical medications and she almost succeeded in ending her life.

Doctors have since discovered she had an allergy to coconut fat which was exacerbating the inflammation associated to her medical condition.

DaFatBoy

DaFatBoy

Absolutely crazy.. my mom has lung cancer and to see her want to try cannabis and be so in fear of losing her job. Texas laws are crazy

MtGrownCanna

MtGrownCanna

My wife said she talked to a few doc's yesterday about it, and their perception now is eating mmj makes people crazy, and they came to this conclusion based on two stories. Ridiculous. How many people drink alcohol and then beat the shit out of their wives?? When my wife gave them the low down, they didn't want to believe her.....so sad how close minded American doc's can be. How many years has Israel done research on cannabis? Almost half a century! We all know when a drug has side affects like death and/or schizophrenia, research is halted. Our medical community needs to wake the fuck up. The LD50 in rats is something like 50 pounds. Imagine the size of the joint that would kill 50% of humans......

Big pharma from England is working on cannabidiol sprays passing through the FDA as we speak.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It's times like this that make me *so* happy I was raised by a medical doctor and dietitian. I am fully able to engage others, not quite on their level but close enough to fool 'em. I've even been asked if I'm an MD (and an attorney, one of the last times I went to court for my son someone asked me if I was their public defender).

But I tell you what, the person I wish would really make himself heard more loudly, nationally, is my own recommending doctor. He is so PASSIONATE about it! And he's very well educated, having graduated from USC.

And, it's not just American doctors who can tend to be close-minded. I have found that anyone who is very well educated tends to believe what they learned through their education and dismiss anecdotal evidence or evidence that contradicts what they'd been taught. I'm not vilifying traditional education, but once your mind has closed down, what more can you possibly learn?

UCMETOO

UCMETOO

I think your right on point SEAMAIDEN, it is not that they are educated, its that they stopped the effort to remain at the fore front. I'm working with family in Minnesota, that head up the AG dept. at MSU. They are very ingaged, and even accutely aware they have much to learn and understand, and are making a huge effort to help organize guidlines for the new MMJ program coming online soon. They sought out a ton of commercial growers while visiting to get a real look at what is practice, what is law, and where the two meet and fail to meet, all in an effort to see the new program bypass the worst of the learning curve,.......

Just imagine medical becoming legal to sell, without one guideline in place for production, that's what is happening now,.....No oversite on pesticides, mold or spore % or even nutrient elements. Thats exactly whats going on there as we chat. All i can say is thank god for the Educated professionals that give a shit!

MtGrownCanna

MtGrownCanna

This was posted May 7 of this year....

Insys to Advance Development of Pharmaceutical Cannabidiol (CBD) to Treat Epilepsy in Children and Adults
Hires Mark Davis as Senior Clinical Director to Oversee Program
PR-Logo-Marketwire.gif

PHOENIX, AZ, May 06, 2014 (Marketwired via COMTEX) -- Insys Therapeutics, Inc. INSY -4.28% announced today plans to advance development of its pharmaceutical Cannabidiol (CBD), a synthetically produced and over 99% pure form of cannabidiol, to treat epilepsy in children and adults. Insys has engaged a large international Clinical Research Organization to provide development and regulatory services and has hired Mark Davis as Senior Clinical Director to oversee this program.

Insys plans to file an Investigational New Drug (IND) application with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the second half of 2014 for CBD for the treatment of epilepsy. In pediatrics, Insys plans to pursue development of treatments for Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome and Dravet Syndrome, which are orphan indications.

"We are excited to take these important steps, which we believe pave the way to advance our pharmaceutical CBD candidate into clinical trials to treat these severe forms of epilepsy," said Michael L. Babich, President and Chief Executive Officer. "We have a unique opportunity to produce a tested and controlled pharmaceutical cannabinoid treatment that can make a substantial difference in the lives of patients with epilepsy."

"As a further indication of our commitment to bring to market our pipeline of innovative pharmaceutical CBD therapies that potentially provide significant medical benefits to patients, we are pleased to announce the appointment of Mark Davis as Senior Clinical Director," said Mr. Babich.

Mr. Davis has more than 30 years of experience in pharmaceutical/biotech and medical device development, most recently at Medicis Pharmaceutical Corporation (now Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc.) as Executive Director of Clinical Research. Prior to that, Mr. Davis spent 12-years at Amgen in various senior level positions including the Associate Director of Clinical Research. He also held additional senior clinical positions at Topica Pharmaceuticals, Onyx, Medtronic and Stiefel Laboratories. Mr. Davis has a Master's in Biomedical Engineering from the University of Utah.

Insys has the capability to manufacture pharmaceutical CBD in its Austin, Texas manufacturing facility. Insys believes that it is the only U.S. company with the capacity to produce pharmaceutical CBD in large quantities.

In addition to the use of this pharmaceutical cannabinoid for the treatment of epilepsy, Insys is evaluating its potential utility in several other indications, including:

This one is up and going in several other countries.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom