Meanwell Drivers shut down when they exceed XX F???

• Thread starter LittleDabbie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Do these cheap chinese made meanwell drivers shut down when they exceed a set temp range?

Yesterday, 1 of my LEDS was dead, the driver was hot as hell, I estimate 120+ I touched it.. mistake.. hurt.. hot..

Plugged that SAME driver into another led board. NO GO.. Plugged in another drive into that same led spot.. lights up just fine..

TODAY............ After 12+ hours of cooling down, I plugged the fuckin driver in to take pics of the dead light and guess what..

IT FUCKING WORKS..

What the fuck?

I can't warranty the light cause its not broken??

I'm hating chinese made shit more and more.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter

Well the answer would be yes, according to there data sheet these fucking things have like 5 protections built in, the very last being OVER TEMP. BUT....... It don't say WHAT temp it has to reach for how long, It also says power cycle to reset, but i did that and it still didn't work. So it must have to cool AND power cycle..

I'll keep digging i also reached out to mars and asked them what the fucking temp these have to hit to trip power protection like that..

basscaptain

basscaptain

Well the answer would be yes, according to there data sheet these fucking things have like 5 protections built in, the very last being OVER TEMP. BUT....... It don't say WHAT temp it has to reach for how long, It also says power cycle to reset, but i did that and it still didn't work. So it must have to cool AND power cycle..

I'll keep digging i also reached out to mars and asked them what the fucking temp these have to hit to trip power protection like that..
my Guess is yes the whole unit needs to come down to a about room temp....

The Reason these need to be off the heat sinks/pie pans......
with a real heat sink that would not happen.....

it will happen more and more now........ is there anyway to rewire and move that driver ????
sry bro... you don't need this................................

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
my Guess is yes the whole unit needs to come down to a about room temp....

The Reason these need to be off the heat sinks/pie pans......
with a real heat sink that would not happen.....

it will happen more and more now........ is there anyway to rewire and move that driver ????
sry bro... you don't need this................................

Yeah i can remotely mount the driver, I got new lights coming so these ones can get fucked and i'll remotely mount the new ones assuming i can.

But yeah this should never have been an issue, Given the lack of engineering put into these products tho im hardly surprised by any of this, in fact im shocked i don't hear more of this shit happen when people hit 100% brightness..

On the up side, I get new lights and my brother gets these peices of shit to deal with now lol hopefully he can grow something decent and toss me a few nugs to compare.

Freaky75

Freaky75

I've got a small fan blowing on mine . Not same one but hot as hell all the same . Works a treat bud . Happy growing

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I've got a small fan blowing on mine . Not same one but hot as hell all the same . Works a treat bud . Happy growing

Yeah i ended up mounting 2 fans up there (plezzzzzzzzzzz lord don't let em fall!) blowing right over both drivers, Haven't checked temps yet but I would think that would lower the temps a lil :D

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Ok checked the temps again since the fans are on, One side is around 110-120 (prolly needa mount it better but whatever)

The other side is 90-100F

solution! :D

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Have you considered a Peltier effect cooling device to mount on your heat sinks or the drivers themselves?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

That's part of the price difference. Hlg uses heatsink double the thickness for a reason. Like I said these budget lights put out good light but you will sacrifice quality and other issues when compared to others. I'm not bashing them just saying if ppl think they are getting similar quality they are not.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
That's part of the price difference. Hlg uses heatsink double the thickness for a reason. Like I said these budget lights put out good light but you will sacrifice quality and other issues when compared to others. I'm not bashing them just saying if ppl think they are getting similar quality they are not.

Buy cheap buy twice....

Dr.B

Dr.B

Yeah i can remotely mount the driver, I got new lights coming so these ones can get fucked and i'll remotely mount the new ones assuming i can.

But yeah this should never have been an issue, Given the lack of engineering put into these products tho im hardly surprised by any of this, in fact im shocked i don't hear more of this shit happen when people hit 100% brightness..

On the up side, I get new lights and my brother gets these peices of shit to deal with now lol hopefully he can grow something decent and toss me a few nugs to compare.
That's where I shunt off my obsolete growing clutter too... 🤣🤣🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom