Medicinal benefits of Delta8-THC

• Thread starter monkeymun
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
monkeymun

monkeymun

There's been a great deal of interest in CBD recently, but not so much focus on some of the other cannabinoids.

Delta8-THC is an analogue of Delta9-THC with antiemetic, anxiolytic, appetite-stimulating, analgesic, and neuroprotective properties. Ok, so what does all that mean? An antiemetic is a drug that is effective against vomiting and nausea. An anxiolytic (also antipanic or antianxiety drug) is an agent that inhibits anxiety. An analgesic, or painkiller, is any member of the group of drugs used to achieve analgesia — relief from pain. Neuroprotection refers to the relative preservation of neuronal structure and/or function. This term can be used rather loosely, and in this instance I was unable to ascertain the type of nerve cells Delta-8 THC supposedly confers protection to.

Clearly evidence is mounting Delta-8 has various important medicinal qualities. That said, Delta-8 is a metabolite of Delta-9 which typically forms in the last two weeks of flower and the isomerization is not caused by an enzyme but occurs spontaneously and is considered degradation. Formation of CBN occurs through further degradation of either Delta9-THC or Delta8-THC, which is caused by oxidation.

Gandalfalfa

Gandalfalfa

It's practically impossible to get around this issue and incredibly frustrating that so many hard earned growing hours get wasted on degraded THC products like you’ve mentioned above. But its a natural occurrence, the plant is going to do this and there is no chemical or nutrient that can prevent it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thanks for posting this, I'll be sharing it with some other peeps new to the canna-world and who are focused entirely on CBD. I keep trying to tell them, there's a whole SUITE of cannabinoids that we can use and that have medicinal properties.

goliath

goliath

this is why legalization and allowing pharma to commercialize weed could be a good thing. in a few years you can just go to a chemist an buy pure thc9 or thc8 or cbn or whatever. its the way of the future.

monkeymun

monkeymun

Actually if you’ve been keep up to date with the literature (I don’t mean press releases which are just marketing garble) these pharma companies are struggling to find a suitable way to stabilize delta-9-THC. There are several recent papers where is has been shown to degrade rapidly. It seems the trichome is actually best left as is, and is a more suitable containment vessel for THC than bottle, tablets or what have you.

monkeymun

monkeymun

It’s been a while since I’ve read them but will have a quick search and see what I can post up.

entropy99

entropy99

Thanks. Reason I ask is I’ve stopped smoking and started taking an oral med, but it has been giving me inconsistent effects.

SexOG

SexOG

For all the effort its better to just grow more potent strains IMO. It’s all in the genetics. If you have a strain that makes 3 x more thc than the typical skunk who cares if a 1/3 of it eventually oxidizes to CBN.. you’re on a roll anyway. And anyway, people generally have no clue how much CBN is in their weed. Once someone is high they are high and it becomes irrelevant.

neverbreak

neverbreak

it’s not just losin a large proportion of yer thc to cbn. thc is the decarboxylated derivative of the acid, thc-a. heat is what catalyzes the decarboxylation (either smokin or bakin in cookies) but this doesn’t mean all the thc-a is decarboxylated. in fact various reports are, dependin on the state of the weed n smokin method, only a fraction is decaboxylated, n only a fraction of that enters the blood stream through the lungs or gut.

neverbreak

Prince Blanc

Prince Blanc

THC will not decompose into CBN if its compressed and frozen. You don't have to make hash to do this. In fact if you look at the cannabinoid profiles of hash compared to FRESH buds you will see there is often a higher ratio of degraded products because of the extra processing that has occurred.

Gandalfalfa

Gandalfalfa

I am all about growing less and making use of what little I can produce under two lights. I don't waste anything. I make oil from the leaf and stem and store my buds with desiccant in sealed jars in my wine cellar. If i knew of an easy way to convert all the other cannabinoids into thc via some easy chemical process I’d be all about that but from what I’ve read it’s not that easy.

Supercharge

Supercharge

You’re better off preventing the THC from turning into CBN in the first place.

Purpz

Purpz

Here you go found this on another site…

"Dissolve the hash oil in absolute ethanol or pure methanol in the ratio of one gram extract to ten grams solvent. There must be no water in this solution, as the next step is the addition of one drop of 100% sulfuric acid per gram of extract. Add the acid slowly, drop by drop, stirring slowly and completely, with a long glass stirring rod. Place a Pyrex pot containing the extract-alcohol-acid solution into the refluxing apparatus and reflux for two hours. The acid will not evaporate and will remain in the Pyrex pot. Allow to cool. Take the cooled solution, pour with an equal volume of water and 1/2 volume of petroleum ether into the ether-extraction apparatus (separation funnel). Allow to settle, and drain the ether extract layer. This leaves an ether-extract-acid mix from which the acid must be purged. To accomplish this, pour the ether-extract-solution into four volumes of 5% sodium bicarbonate solution (1 gram bicarb. in 20 grams of water). This will neutralize the acid, releasing CO2 and leaving a solution of sodium sulphate. Allow this to settle into layers, then drain the ether-extract layer. Mix the ether-extract solution with an equal volume of pure water and let it separate. Drain off the ether-extract layer. Evaporate the ether and what remains is hash oil in which all of the cannabinoids have been converted into THC."

..never tried this. Not an organic chemist. But fuck, if it works, here’s your miracle solution.

neverbreak

neverbreak

hmmmm.. don’t know who originally came up with that but this is not a good idea. first of all u’d need to isolate the thc - hash oil is a complex of several terpenes/cannabinoids etc - could be done with chromatography but not in your garage. furthermore just how is an acid supposed to selectively reduce aromatic ring back to its previous form, ie the addition of 4-h atoms?

neverbreak

Prince Blanc

Prince Blanc

I agree. You can convert CBD to THC with acid, but I don't see how this can be done with CBN. Unfortunately, CBN is very stable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom