MendOG-Two clones-4x4 tent, Timber Daisy quintet, two Earth Boxes.

• Thread starter stp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
stp

stp

This is my fifth grow with these lights and this tent. I got a tiny bit of powdery mildew last time so I stripped the tent, peroxided everything twice, bought new charcoal filter, new AC clip fans, and chlorine gas treated the tent for two weeks between.
I had two clones growing in a small tent while I wrapped up the drying from the first MendOG grow that I did not diary on here. Oopsy.
This is MendOG from Paco at Crunch Status Confirmed in Colorado. They are supposed to be short finishers but the last round they were three weeks longer from the suggested 7 week.
I am re-using living organic soil I originally got from BAS but have ammended/refreshed with a lot of organics, added a little more perlite, then brewed a tea, innoculated, threw arugula and banana peels in as a treat for the crawlers then covered it with the EarthBox plastic mulch covers. They already had straw mulch on each that I forgot to mention.
After a week of hanging out, I dug holes and planted the two clones just now. Dimmed lights and sprayed them with some Mad Farmer Silicon.
I'm ready to try out this SCROG thing using two clones. I got too much larf last time and I am hoping to eliminate that this time by doing a SCROG.
These clones have been treated once with Dr. Zymes as part of my IPE. In the past I used Neem/Clove/Dr. Bronners Mint soap, but I think I like Dr. Zymes better with no residual or potential stomata clogging issues. Part of the soil recipe includes neem and Karanja Cake as IPE too.
One of the clones struggled, they both did not love the power of the soil in their second move from solo cup to 4" squares. Leaves crinkled on both plants one was impacted more. I thought about ditching the smaller one and doing something else from seed, but I like to run same strain so I can utilize the tent to dry in. If I had two different strains I risk staggered harvest and where do I dry half the batch while the other half finises...can't do that. Here's to a mildew free grow this time. I am not bagging on the strain at all, but I have never had that until I tried a new strain. Yes, I did let the room get away from me for a day (81% rh) so I will take the credit for promoting it. I also did not have a super clean room, I was running ok airflow, so it was a recipe for disaster that I caught and mitigated to almost ZERO. I had to check daily and sometimes that took and hour. Sometimes I would chop so much that I wondered why I had not chopped all this earlier. I ran sides touching the tent, it was a mess. I never saw any mildew on buds, but that is when it all started. I caught it on a leaf and that is the only place I ever found it, but I sprayed while budding with Dr. Zymes and that shit saved my ass!
I even DUNKED immediately after harvest just to be safe and KNOW I had no mildew and I will tell you what, you can't tell a bit, the terpenes are fantastic, and the smoke is sooooo smooth!
I have all these bags of store bought weed that I will mix in between mine and wow, the store bought is so much more harsh and it makes me cough my brains out so much that I think my neighbors are gonna call rescue on me. I don't even like smoking anyone's shit anymore, I am a freaking herb snob now I guess.

Last thing to add about what I learned in my last grow. I was not testing PH of the water I was giving them. It was off like (high) that I started seeing signs and the fix was not adding some magic nutrient, I just started bringing the high ph water down and the problems when away. I was watering plain R/O water and I've now started blending R/O with tap, it seems to help stabilize PH and it can add the Cal/mg you are missing by using pure R/O.
I am getting lazy about buying water from the filter box down the street and may start growing straight tap soon, but our shit is HIGH PPM and has chlorine. If I plan on adding stuff to my water then I will use a more pure R/O mix, if I am just doing water fill, I may use a lot more tap and see how it goes like that. Still testing PH both ways before watering/feeding. These boxes are also NOT designed to be "fed" the idea is the roots drink from the res at the bottom, and the other roots find whatever food they need in the soil buffet and eat what and when they want. I've fed some fermented peach last time, but nothing much because I also do not want to jack up the reservoirs with a bunch of food residual build-up, there's no real designed way to clean these out during a grow.

This grow I will be incorporating some new stuff and breaking some of the rules when it comes to growing in Earth Boxes. You are not supposed to water from top down. I am going to add some teas, some silicon, cannazyme, and terpinator into the cycle this time around. In my opinion, some of this stuff works better in soil and direct to roots, but they are gonna get it both ways, yeah, I'm dirty like that.

Stay tuned.

Mendog2 start
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
This is my fifth grow with these lights and this tent. I got a tiny bit of powdery mildew last time so I stripped the tent, peroxided everything twice, bought new charcoal filter, new AC clip fans, and chlorine gas treated the tent for two weeks between.
I had two clones growing in a small tent while I wrapped up the drying from the first MendOG grow that I did not diary on here. Oopsy.
This is MendOG from Paco at Crunch Status Confirmed in Colorado. They are supposed to be short finishers but the last round they were three weeks longer from the suggested 7 week.
I am re-using living organic soil I originally got from BAS but have ammended/refreshed with a lot of organics, added a little more perlite, then brewed a tea, innoculated, threw arugula and banana peels in as a treat for the crawlers then covered it with the EarthBox plastic mulch covers. They already had straw mulch on each that I forgot to mention.
After a week of hanging out, I dug holes and planted the two clones just now. Dimmed lights and sprayed them with some Mad Farmer Silicon.
I'm ready to try out this SCROG thing using two clones. I got too much larf last time and I am hoping to eliminate that this time by doing a SCROG.
These clones have been treated once with Dr. Zymes as part of my IPE. In the past I used Neem/Clove/Dr. Bronners Mint soap, but I think I like Dr. Zymes better with no residual or potential stomata clogging issues. Part of the soil recipe includes neem and Karanja Cake as IPE too.
One of the clones struggled, they both did not love the power of the soil in their second move from solo cup to 4" squares. Leaves crinkled on both plants one was impacted more. I thought about ditching the smaller one and doing something else from seed, but I like to run same strain so I can utilize the tent to dry in. If I had two different strains I risk staggered harvest and where do I dry half the batch while the other half finises...can't do that. Here's to a mildew free grow this time. I am not bagging on the strain at all, but I have never had that until I tried a new strain. Yes, I did let the room get away from me for a day (81% rh) so I will take the credit for promoting it. I also did not have a super clean room, I was running ok airflow, so it was a recipe for disaster that I caught and mitigated to almost ZERO. I had to check daily and sometimes that took and hour. Sometimes I would chop so much that I wondered why I had not chopped all this earlier. I ran sides touching the tent, it was a mess. I never saw any mildew on buds, but that is when it all started. I caught it on a leaf and that is the only place I ever found it, but I sprayed while budding with Dr. Zymes and that shit saved my ass!
I even DUNKED immediately after harvest just to be safe and KNOW I had no mildew and I will tell you what, you can't tell a bit, the terpenes are fantastic, and the smoke is sooooo smooth!
I have all these bags of store bought weed that I will mix in between mine and wow, the store bought is so much more harsh and it makes me cough my brains out so much that I think my neighbors are gonna call rescue on me. I don't even like smoking anyone's shit anymore, I am a freaking herb snob now I guess.

Last thing to add about what I learned in my last grow. I was not testing PH of the water I was giving them. It was off like (high) that I started seeing signs and the fix was not adding some magic nutrient, I just started bringing the high ph water down and the problems when away. I was watering plain R/O water and I've now started blending R/O with tap, it seems to help stabilize PH and it can add the Cal/mg you are missing by using pure R/O.
I am getting lazy about buying water from the filter box down the street and may start growing straight tap soon, but our shit is HIGH PPM and has chlorine. If I plan on adding stuff to my water then I will use a more pure R/O mix, if I am just doing water fill, I may use a lot more tap and see how it goes like that. Still testing PH both ways before watering/feeding. These boxes are also NOT designed to be "fed" the idea is the roots drink from the res at the bottom, and the other roots find whatever food they need in the soil buffet and eat what and when they want. I've fed some fermented peach last time, but nothing much because I also do not want to jack up the reservoirs with a bunch of food residual build-up, there's no real designed way to clean these out during a grow.

This grow I will be incorporating some new stuff and breaking some of the rules when it comes to growing in Earth Boxes. You are not supposed to water from top down. I am going to add some teas, some silicon, cannazyme, and terpinator into the cycle this time around. In my opinion, some of this stuff works better in soil and direct to roots, but they are gonna get it both ways, yeah, I'm dirty like that.

Stay tuned.
Welcome to the farm, lots of help here if you need it from other farmers who may have done something like your style in the past. I'm Promix and GH synthetic nutes....easy....... follow a recipe and grow weed otherwise I'd be buying....lol

Reactions: stp
stp

stp

Welcome to the farm, lots of help here if you need it from other farmers who may have done something like your style in the past. I'm Promix and GH synthetic nutes....easy....... follow a recipe and grow weed otherwise I'd be buying....lol
I do a lot of stuff myself. Roast my own coffee, grow my own herb, make my own deodorant…haha. Nothing quite as smooth as what I grow compared to store bought.

stp

stp

I added the tea to the soil and let it sit a few days then put the plants in and now I have this all over. I first thought mites but I’m not sure what this is. I think they are alive, but they are coming out of the boxes. Sorry the video is bad

stp

stp

Spring tails—-not bad, but means my soil was probably way too wet. They exploded with all my refresh and tea, Rootwise, kashi, etc… so I sprayed floor of tent with some peroxide, pulled the mulch covers off one corner and sprayed/wiped edge of boxes, they are everywhere. They have been jumping off the boxes to the floor! See next video. I turned on the dehumidifier to raise temps. We’re about to get really wet for a few days here in San Diego so it’s already cool, I need dry heat. I had also filled the reservoirs almost immediately (2 days) after watering the soil with my tea, so I just siphoned both boxes and the goal is to dry things out, that will hooefully reduce the life in the box a little and make my plants happier. They are sad right now, critical care time.

Last edited:
ezenzyme

ezenzyme

lovin this dawggg!!! ohhh yeah!!! Thats some serious living soils there buddy!! whatcha going to do about spring tails? Building up populations of BT helps, also you can get H Mites and different predatory soil dwelling bugs that i have had tons of success with. Looks like the rez in the box gotcha this time! This growing method i like to see as organic DWC. Wonder what would happen with a fogger or bubbler in there, possibly a lifting moveable organic soils tote on-top of a dwc or misting rez!?!?! @Moe.Red ?!?!

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

That there is a shit ton of springtails. Crazy how quick their population booms. IME it's because there is too much raw organic material. Soil needs to break down more, that could be why the plants are sad. Or way too wet, like you said. What do the plants look like?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

lovin this dawggg!!! ohhh yeah!!! Thats some serious living soils there buddy!! whatcha going to do about spring tails? Building up populations of BT helps, also you can get H Mites and different predatory soil dwelling bugs that i have had tons of success with. Looks like the rez in the box gotcha this time! This growing method i like to see as organic DWC. Wonder what would happen with a fogger or bubbler in there, possibly a lifting moveable organic soils tote on-top of a dwc or misting rez!?!?! @Moe.Red ?!?!
Not sure I’m following. Fogging organics into soil?

stp

stp

So the soil was refreshed with everything organic, so yeah, there was a lot going on, In that refresh I have Gnarly Barley, Rootwise, Gro Kashi....Kelp meal, yeah...a lot of stuff. I mixed that in, watered in rootwise again....covered it and waited a week, uncovered it and hit the whole thing with a tea brew, put the mulch covers back on and let it sit about 10 days, planted the really health clones and BAM....issues. Yellow leaves, curling, sad....then the bloom of these critters. I have since removed the plastic mulch tarp, drained both reservoirs which didn't really have any critters in the water as I siphoned it out. I turned on the de-humidifier and have been running it dry sort of like flower RH dry. The smaller plant is coming around, the bigger one looks sad and shitty but I think she will make it too. The soil in one box is drying way faster than the other is. As far as "what to do" with the Springtails, I wasn't to worried. As the soil dries out, they seem to disappear/die. I also wiped down boxes and lightly hit the very top with some peroxide, I think that kills them.
I need to dry out the soil faster, like I need a heating rod to shove in the soil or something????

stp

stp

I have never had issues doing living organic in these Earth boxes, I love them, super easy. I just got lazy and sloppy in my prep this round. Hard to stay tight/clean/disciplined when it's just a small tent and for personal use. I let the tent go last time, this time I am back to lab standards.

stp

stp

Current state of despair but still hopeful and I believe they will make it. One is already turning darker green and perking up!

014E4C81 8067 4A6B AA88 9407643B0C70
2B57CC0E AF14 4A8B 8F1C 626E594E59D8
03B4D3D6 F347 48E1 9A45 FA6601E3D4F3
7001C3EB BCB3 4D9C AE4D 7F56CF38F1B7
43BA4F34 E733 41C0 881D FEDA59059593
3370EC2D 8415 4532 BED7 6F394C68C9AA
96A1284A 16BA 4273 B01F 0573119E18C3
stp

stp

Here we are about 5 weeks into flower. I’ve been doing RO water, calmg, Terpinator, and Organics alive P soluble fert. I did a couple waterings with some Mad Farmer Silica but that stuff makes the PH shoot off the charts, pain to get it back down, so I’ve stopped the silica. The blend of what I give it each day is different. The plants are in a stage where they drink 2.5 gallons of water per plant per day.

8A486335 8A75 4C17 9BE2 7EAF756BD8DE
Top Bottom