Mental and Physical Health Support Thread

• Thread starter Kanzeon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
resurrecting this. how's everyone doing?
Hanging on. I'll admit I've been struggling the past couple months mentally. Mostly about stuff we can't discuss here, but im sure you catch my drift.
Been happily distracted with my latest grow, but honestly without that I'd be likely consumed with anxiety about what's going on in the world right now. It's always there in the back of my mind.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Hanging on. I'll admit I've been struggling the past couple months mentally. Mostly about stuff we can't discuss here, but im sure you catch my drift.
Been happily distracted with my latest grow, but honestly without that I'd be likely consumed with anxiety about what's going on in the world right now. It's always there in the back of my mind.
for sure. right there with you man. been hitting the bottle a bit heavier again to cope, which isn't really coping since it has a compounding effect. having the plants helps a little. not much, but with most everything being automated, there's minimal mothering required. just don't want this thread to die off, think it's important members here know there's somewhere to get some support (so long particular topics aren't discussed).

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I would lose my mind if I did not force myself to avoid all Krapvid encounters and we quit watching the news because its all one sided anyway so whats the point?
Since I quit listening to everyone tell me how truly bad it is, my stress level has dropped to almost zero. Yes, the world is changing, but it always does that, always has. When we come to terms that our favorite portion is changing, then we drop the upset for a deep internal peace. Change your mind to think of this as an opportunity to better the slice of world you affect.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I would lose my mind if I did not force myself to avoid all Krapvid encounters and we quit watching the news because its all one sided anyway so whats the point?
Since I quit listening to everyone tell me how truly bad it is, my stress level has dropped to almost zero. Yes, the world is changing, but it always does that, always has. When we come to terms that our favorite portion is changing, then we get upset. Change your mind to think of this as an opportunity to better the slice of world you affect.
news is such a terrible thing. at least, in this era. maybe that's always been the case, dunno, didn't live through WWII when propaganda was equally as big. my biggest struggle now, since i've returned to checking headlines, is i want to be aware of the evils in the world so i can be prepared to protect my kids accordingly. when i was a single bachelor, it was different. world happenings were just that, world happenings. still maintain the mentality that if it doesn't directly impact my household, i don't care, but some shit on a macro scale can and does have side effects -- like getting a hold of a bag of pears. kids have been begging for pears for two months, i simply can't get them at the stores locally. it sucks.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

news is such a terrible thing. at least, in this era. maybe that's always been the case, dunno, didn't live through WWII when propaganda was equally as big. my biggest struggle now, since i've returned to checking headlines, is i want to be aware of the evils in the world so i can be prepared to protect my kids accordingly. when i was a single bachelor, it was different. world happenings were just that, world happenings. still maintain the mentality that if it doesn't directly impact my household, i don't care, but some shit on a macro scale can and does have side effects -- like getting a hold of a bag of pears. kids have been begging for pears for two months, i simply can't get them at the stores locally. it sucks.
This is a major part of the reason we are leaving Hawaii for the mainland. We want 5 acres where we can grow what we need. 5 Acres is enough space to have 3 cows, half a dozen goats, chickens and a huge veggie garden. With what I know about homesteading, we should never have to go into town again. We can make our own fuel (LP gas) to run generators. Walipini's will let us grow year round. We have been working on this for almost 4 years now and it's almost time to go. We have so much stuff designed to eliminate utilities.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah, it's the fact that it IS directly affecting my household now that has my anxiety ramping way up. I could potentially lose a lot of business over this nonsense. Got letters in the mail last week asking to validate my status, to which I replied with a fat middle finger. My wife can't work with certain employees who consider her a vector, even though she's the owner of the store, kids are being ostracized from their peers. None of this is fucking Bueno at all.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
This is a major part of the reason we are leaving Hawaii for the mainland. We want 5 acres where we can grow what we need. 5 Acres is enough space to have 3 cows, half a dozen goats, chickens and a huge veggie garden. With what I know about homesteading, we should never have to go into town again. We can make our own fuel (LP gas) to run generators. Walipini's will let us grow year round. We have been working on this for almost 4 years now and it's almost time to go. We have so much stuff designed to eliminate utilities.
right there with you. i actually just found one of the last remaining 20 acre lots for sale in northern WA that i'd love to own. don't need that much land, five acres would be ideal, and could still produce enough surplus to run a farmer's market and generate revenue to cover the monthly expenses. getting off grid as much as possible so that whatever social catastrophes happen will have a significantly reduced impact. still want the kids to be close enough to schooling and the opportunity to do what they want with their lives.

but their mom and i are tired with the city. tired with society. tired of being tired. kind of at a point anymore, and i even told my manager this today, that if another ball drops, i'm pulling all my retirement money, paying whatever fucking taxes and fines for early withdrawal and falling off for a year. just tired.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Yeah, it's the fact that it IS directly affecting my household now that has my anxiety ramping way up. I could potentially lose a lot of business over this nonsense. Got letters in the mail last week asking to validate my status, to which I replied with a fat middle finger. My wife can't work with certain employees who consider her a vector, even though she's the owner of the store, kids are being ostracized from their peers. None of this is fucking Bueno at all.
careful, we can discuss that in a more private quorum. it is bullshit, nonetheless.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I finish up my contract here with school in Dec. That gives us 2 months to get everything cleaned up, shipped and ready to roll. We have a temporary place from my new job while we find something we want. They want me to start in March, so I'm aiming that way and we will see what happens.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I finish up my contract here with school in Dec. That gives us 2 months to get everything cleaned up, shipped and ready to roll. We have a temporary place from my new job while we find something we want. They want me to start in March, so I'm aiming that way and we will see what happens.
good luck. i've known a few people that moved to the islands from the mainland, and it can be a real shit show. not sure about coming back this way. can't imagine trying to move across a massive body of water, but don't blame you for getting out of Hawaii. from what i hear, unless you're a native islander, you're treated like absolute garbage on top of the insane cost of living. had the opposite problem in new mexico, kinda. was the only white kid on my bus, and grew up dirt poor. not a lot of opportunity to get on in life if you're not of hispanic lineage (by name) and even the opportunity that is there is either in drugs or fucking someone else over. hopefully the new job pans out well and yall land somewhere conducive to finding a good quality of life.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Cancel culture is just exactly that, the cancelling of any semblance of civilized culture.
"And that's all I have to say about that." ~ Forest Gump
the powers that be have made it clear certain flu subjects are not to be discussed in any form in the public forum. it is what it is, rather abide by the rules and keep this thread running than have it fall into the abyss and lose an account i've had for over a decade, same with @Dirtbag. not quite OG's around here, but been here long enough to see plenty go away from not playing by the rules.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

good luck. i've known a few people that moved to the islands from the mainland, and it can be a real shit show. not sure about coming back this way. can't imagine trying to move across a massive body of water, but don't blame you for getting out of Hawaii. from what i hear, unless you're a native islander, you're treated like absolute garbage on top of the insane cost of living. had the opposite problem in new mexico, kinda. was the only white kid on my bus, and grew up dirt poor. not a lot of opportunity to get on in life if you're not of hispanic lineage (by name) and even the opportunity that is there is either in drugs or fucking someone else over. hopefully the new job pans out well and yall land somewhere conducive to finding a good quality of life.
The new job is in Missouri, and part of it has to do with homesteading. LOL

tobh

tobh

Supporter
The new job is in Missouri, and part of it has to do with homesteading. LOL
oh man... lived in Misery for a bit. KC is a cool city, if it weren't for the effects of gentrification. Reminded me of Phoenix a bit, albeit a bit more grungy. Plus, that's tornado central. Plenty of area to get lost though. Just make sure you have a great insurance policy and a stocked bunker to hunker down when the serious storms roll through.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I'm married to a local and I tend to pick up the local accent and slang fairly quickly, so I've not had too much issue with being treated badly, but I know it does happen.
And yeah, it costs me $50 to open the fridge door and let the light turn on. Insane.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

oh man... lived in Misery for a bit. KC is a cool city, if it weren't for the effects of gentrification. Reminded me of Phoenix a bit, albeit a bit more grungy. Plus, that's tornado central. Plenty of area to get lost though. Just make sure you have a great insurance policy and a stocked bunker to hunker down when the serious storms roll through.
Lived in tornado alley for much of my life. We always had some sort of storm shelter.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Lived in tornado alley for much of my life. We always had some sort of storm shelter.
they come with pretty much every property out there, afaik. thinking of that place reminds me of Twister.

when i lived out there was the year Joplin got decimated by that F5 tornado. it was supposed to hit KC, and blew over. shit was terrifying. wrote off that region of the US shortly after, just not my flavor lol

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

they come with pretty much every property out there, afaik. thinking of that place reminds me of Twister.

when i lived out there was the year Joplin got decimated by that F5 tornado. it was supposed to hit KC, and blew over. shit was terrifying. wrote off that region of the US shortly after, just not my flavor lol
Tornado alley, Hurricane east coast, Wildfire west, Volcano islands... Everywhere you live there is some form of natural danger.

BionicKroniK

BionicKroniK

What about dried pears, the ones in the package in the produce section? 🤔 Well, that's where ours usually are, I love those too...👍😎

Top Bottom