Methods for cleaning or sterilizing seeds

• Thread starter Bib4tuna
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Ive had a terrible run of luck with seeds this year. I ordered a 5 pk of strawberry cough from ILGM & none of them germinated so I sent back for replacement seeds. I just received the new seeds yesterday & had them soaking in cup of warm water on germination pad. Id told my girlfriend about the cup but shes a clean freak & while on one of her frenzies dumped all my seeds down the drain! I managed to recover 4 out of 5 from taking apart sink drain trap but they were covered in nastiness. Are there any recommended methods for cleaning seeds. I wanted to use dawn dish soap but wasnt sure if it was good for the seed. I want to clean them tho incase theres any bacteria on seeds. I desperately want these to sprout. Any info appreciated as always!

Homesteader

Homesteader

Nice save brother! That is devotion to the sport.

I like turtles! actually I love them. We raise eastern painted.
The seeds should be good without any cleaning. I would put them in a damp paper towel and plastic bag after wiping away any grime.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
Well... Use this... Guilt grip is still grip

Rinse the seeds, they will be fine. They can survive most things

karolanne

karolanne

As others said, just rince and they will be fine. BTW, I usually start my seeds in a damp paper towel. You just need to add some water on the paper towel eveyday. Some place the paper towel in a ziploc bag, other place it in the refrigirator.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

You can always "sterilize" seeds by putting them in 3% peroxide. I can't say it's necessary, but it won't hurt them.

The fungi and other possible microbes that want to kill your seedlings are always there and they're waiting for conditions to favor them. Those conditions are generally caused by over-watering.

I have a friend who used to water with 3% peroxide, through the first few days to a week. The plants didn't seem to mind at all.

sambapati

sambapati

You can always "sterilize" seeds by putting them in 3% peroxide. I can't say it's necessary, but it won't hurt them.

The fungi and other possible microbes that want to kill your seedlings are always there and they're waiting for conditions to favor them. Those conditions are generally caused by over-watering.

I have a friend who used to water with 3% peroxide, through the first few days to a week. The plants didn't seem to mind at all.
I recommend this after suffering plant dieback and using the 3% solution in a shot glass first for 1 hour, then into the proper dark glass 48 hours.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Nice save brother! That is devotion to the sport.

I like turtles! actually I love them. We raise eastern painted.
The seeds should be good without any cleaning. I would put them in a damp paper towel and plastic bag after wiping away any grime.
Nice,thats actually a snapper. You cant tell but he was huge! Me and my daughter found him walking by the rd.so I took him & put him in a pond back in the gas well rd.behind my house. I rinsed them like yall said & put them back in cup of warm water. I posted a sticky note on cup this time,lol.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

I recommend this after suffering plant dieback and using the 3% solution in a shot glass first for 1 hour, then into the proper dark glass 48 hours.
Seeds had already been in warm water for over 24 hrs before they got dumped. Probably goin on 36 hrs now. Most have cracked and one has tail emerging slightly. Should I remove from water now & maybe move to paper towels or leave in cup another day? In the past Ive always put in cup til seeds floated to bottom then moved to paper towels & usually had %100 germination but those last seeds from ILGM didnt sprout at all so im doubting myself. When I told support from ILGM seeds didnt sprout they told me to leave replacement seeds in cup until tail emerges 3mm. Ive never left in cups until tail emerged before so wasnt sure if this was good idea.

Ponky

Ponky

I put all my seeds into 500 ml of water. I place that on my cable box (it's always warm) and 2 to 5 days later they're all sprouted. I always wait for them to sprout a tail before transplant.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

There is actually a whole system called plant tissue culture. Essentially cloning in test tubes starting with as little as a single cell. One of the benefits is that they are able to eliminate virus and bacterial pathogens from being passed along. Step one is to sterilize the cells. This works with seeds too. Typically using bleach.

I'm sure you are fine, but the process of sterilization can be carried out with zero harm to seeds or plant matter if done correctly.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
glass of Ro or tap water with about a 7-10% strength hydrogen peroxide put seeds in leave for 8-10 hours dont worry if they sink or not means nothing. than plant in small cup on a small bed of peat on the soil than cover over with peat and soil, place under light not close! regular 18/6 hrs, seedling heating matt plugged into timer also as when lights out so is heating matt, small fan moving air, 77-83 degrees and 70% ish humidity..
sit and wait, should be no more than 4 days, some the next day.
if done right you’ll never touch the seed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom