MH basics

• Thread starter Jalisco Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ttystikk

ttystikk

One big basic with metal halide; NEVER dim them. The bulbs just can't take it and age and deteriorate rapidly.

lucky weed

lucky weed

before, the Metal halides are the preferred light for both vegging and flowering time but because of the higher efficiency of of high pressure sodium lamps, they're now used less frequently indoors

J

Jalisco Kid

No, I have only used the Blue in veg since it is not a vert lamp,so I have not bothered researching it out more. JK

J

Jalisco Kid

I have not looked at the specs for a while to see if they changed but mine are made to run horizontal. I like them in veg and would use them in late flower if they were vert. JK

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

No, I have only used the Blue in veg since it is not a vert lamp,so I have not bothered researching it out more. JK
The hort blue is not a vertical lamp? Do you mean it must stay in the horizontal position when on? Sideways?

urbanfog

urbanfog

currently using 2 x600 MH for first 2-3 weeks of stretch, then HPS then final weeks of MH/HPS combo

J

Jalisco Kid

before, the Metal halides are the preferred light for both vegging and flowering time but because of the higher efficiency of of high pressure sodium lamps, they're now used less frequently indoors
Not in my world. JK

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

Do you have info to back that?
I know for a fact hortilux says never to dim bulbs. HPS or MH. They are designed to run a certain way, and to run optimally that way. If you just didnt care about the life of your bulb or you replace every grow then dont worry about it. But if your trying to grow the best medicine possible, stick with switching bulbs.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I know for a fact hortilux says never to dim bulbs. HPS or MH. They are designed to run a certain way, and to run optimally that way. If you just didnt care about the life of your bulb or you replace every grow then dont worry about it. But if your trying to grow the best medicine possible, stick with switching bulbs.

From what I understand about dimming bulbs is that you wind up with a different spectrum, but that shouldn't cause your bulb to put out less lumens. Now setting your bulbs to the max setting, super lumens, will most certainly cause a shorter lifespan for that bulb as you are pushing it harder than it was designed for.

While you may KNOW FOR A FACT......all I am asking is to see some COLD HARD data on it. Not trying to be a dick, or start any drama. I just wanna see the science in WHY dimming a bulb would hurt it's lifespan.

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

From what I understand about dimming bulbs is that you wind up with a different spectrum, but that shouldn't cause your bulb to put out less lumens. Now setting your bulbs to the max setting, super lumens, will most certainly cause a shorter lifespan for that bulb as you are pushing it harder than it was designed for.

While you may KNOW FOR A FACT......all I am asking is to see some COLD HARD data on it. Not trying to be a dick, or start any drama. I just wanna see the science in WHY dimming a bulb would hurt it's lifespan.
Definitely. I'm no scientist but I trust the hortilux crew has some scientific background or contracted scientific help. I hope this helps explain some of the questions you had.

"Is it okay to use a 1000w hps bulb with a 1000w ballast dimmed to a 750w or 600 setting?
We do not recommend dimming HID lamps. HID lamps will operate when dimmed but the spectral quality of the lamp will change in a negative way.

HID lamps are designed to operate at a specific wattage. When you flip the switch, or turn the wattage dial, you are reducing the operating wattage of your lamp. This reduces the temperature inside the lamp and causes some of the chemical reactions inside the lamp to stop. This has a dramatic and negative impact on the quality of the light being produced by your lamp.

If you want to reduce the power of your system we recommend using a lower wattage lamp and operating it at its proper wattage. This way you can reduce power without sacrificing the quality of your spectrum and ultimately the quality of your plants."

- See more at:

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

Definitely. I'm no scientist but I trust the hortilux crew has some scientific background or contracted scientific help. I hope this helps explain some of the questions you had.

"Is it okay to use a 1000w hps bulb with a 1000w ballast dimmed to a 750w or 600 setting?
We do not recommend dimming HID lamps. HID lamps will operate when dimmed but the spectral quality of the lamp will change in a negative way.

HID lamps are designed to operate at a specific wattage. When you flip the switch, or turn the wattage dial, you are reducing the operating wattage of your lamp. This reduces the temperature inside the lamp and causes some of the chemical reactions inside the lamp to stop. This has a dramatic and negative impact on the quality of the light being produced by your lamp.

If you want to reduce the power of your system we recommend using a lower wattage lamp and operating it at its proper wattage. This way you can reduce power without sacrificing the quality of your spectrum and ultimately the quality of your plants."

- See more at:

Oh boy! ! Bout to TURN UP my bulbs. .GOOD info. .

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

- See more at:

While I agree that it does change the spectrum, I think that life span should not be affected, but I could very well be wrong. Or......Hortilux could just want you to buy more bulbs.;)

fractal

fractal

May I ask what MH lamp you would recommend for vert use?
I ran the daylight blue horti vert for a bit. Gave me a sunburn.

Horti Blues are the only lamp that can compete with the Redding, CA summertime sun ! I used to bring my plants in to the shed from july-late august to veg my indicas bigger and they never slowed down at all, kept putting out massive fans 24/7 with those Hortilux Blues. The only kind of Blues that you want to have !

neverbreak

neverbreak

While I agree that it does change the spectrum, I think that life span should not be affected, but I could very well be wrong. Or......Hortilux could just want you to buy more bulbs.;)

i agree bro, i don't reckon the life of a bulb should be reduced by dimmin it, doesn't make sense to me...but i could also be wrong lol

neverbreak

Top Bottom