MH/HPS used for heat in winter? will it work?

• Thread starter cruzin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cruzin

cruzin

I have a room in my barn thats insulated and I have to heat it with 2 500 watt baseboard heaters in the cold winter times. I came by some free 400 watt metal halide lights.

Question is: what is the chance of using those lights to heat with instead of the electric baseboard? The room is pretty tight but I still have to exhaust with humid or too hot but getting too hot in the winter dont happen.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have a room in my barn thats insulated and I have to heat it with 2 500 watt baseboard heaters in the cold winter times. I came by some free 400 watt metal halide lights.

Question is: what is the chance of using those lights to heat with instead of the electric baseboard? The room is pretty tight but I still have to exhaust with humid or too hot but getting too hot in the winter dont happen.

It can work but dont forget about lights out temps.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i use a 250 watt to keep my utility room warm,lights on it goes off,in your case hell ya use them,for lights out if you have it light proof already leave the light running during your lights out time outside the close section if you dig what im saying,in a barn no one would thing anything other than heat lights for animals

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Mh does throw off a good deal of heat, but your going to have problems with your rh.

BigCube

BigCube

When your lights go out, your temps will drop massively. Unless it's a sealed room, insulation doesn't matter.

The best way would be thermostat to control your heaters. You can buy them from Amazon. Set it to turn on at 19 and off at 23. Or whatever range you're happy with.

Anself Electric Programmable Thermostat Air Conditioning Cooling and Heating Temperature Controller with Sensor and Plug Socket

cruzin

cruzin

Thanks guys for all the replies, looking forward to winter for some fun.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
It will work as long as you keep the temps warm during the lights off period. One thing to consider, depending on your location, is the issue of condensation. If your walls get cold, moisture will start to condense even if your Rh isn't too high if the wall surfaces are cold. I had a buddy try this 30 years ago and it worked great, but he had nothing but black mold after the grow was finished from the moisture condensing out onto his cold exposed walls. The regular walls were fine but the ones that were colder got trashed.

Top Bottom