Michigan indoor Exhaust/Intake dilemma

• Thread starter marcd455
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
marcd455

marcd455

So I have a 10x12 indoor grow in my basement. Currently the room is sealed VERY well and just installed a 10" carbon filter and fan exhaust system. Now the dilemma begins, we are not sure where to ehaust/intake from. I originally wanted to remove a basement window and exhaust and intake directly outside but being in Michigan with drastic seasonal temperature changes we are concerned with pulling in freezing temp air during winter. Option 2 was ehaust into basement and passive intake for fresh air in the grow, my concern here is I absolutely do not want a stinky house and I do not want weed that has a "basement flavor". So our solution to option 2 was exhaust into a small "lung room" that can clean the air and recycle it back into the grow room and refilter through a HEPA filter before reentering the grow. Option 3 was ehxaust directly outside and NOT draw air from outside for intake, this will obviously create negative pressure in my home and is not really ideal for me, still has the issue of basement flavored weed. So basically what I'm asking is how are guys dealing with air exchange in regions that have extreme changes in outdoor temps? The most important things to me are 1) grow must get best quality clean air possible and 2) absolutely no stink in my home. I will attach a couple pics of the grow although the issue is basically fundamental.

Harvard

Harvard

I intake from basement (lung room, air conditioner and co2 burner) and exhaust out chimney. Didn’t want ethylene dumping back into basement.

marcd455

marcd455

Intake from outside is a bug farm waiting to happen.
Being that you exhaust out of your home and intake within your home you are obviously creating a negative pressure inside your home. right? and if so do you notice any downsides to this?

marcd455

marcd455

I intake from basement (lung room, air conditioner and co2 burner) and exhaust out chimney. Didn’t want ethylene dumping back into basement.
also, how big is your grow room and how big is your lung room?

marcd455

marcd455

also, how big is your grow room and how big is your lung room?
is it possible to exhaust into a lung room. Carbon filtered exhaust into a lung room where temp/humidity and co2 are adjusted appropriately then recycled as intake air?

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
is it possible to exhaust into a lung room. Carbon filtered exhaust into a lung room where temp/humidity and co2 are adjusted appropriately then recycled as intake air?

This is what I’d recommend.

DistyDemon

DistyDemon

Never ever ever exhaust thru the chimney stack unless you wanna die from carbon monoxide poisoning! Please stop recommending ways to get people killed.

My building is in Detroit. I use the ENTIRE basement for my grow. I 100% do NOT ever ever exhaust out of my building, period! I'm 10 yrs grower in a basement setting.

Harvard

Harvard

Being that you exhaust out of your home and intake within your home you are obviously creating a negative pressure inside your home. right? and if so do you notice any downsides to this?
No I haven’t, I always used a passive air intake before I added co2 and air conditioner. Now I run hyper fans for intake and exhaust with filters.

Harvard

Harvard

Basically my setup except I exhaust it out roof. I was worried about any gasses if any.

Harvard

Harvard

Never ever ever exhaust thru the chimney stack unless you wanna die from carbon monoxide poisoning! Please stop recommending ways to get people killed.

My building is in Detroit. I use the ENTIRE basement for my grow. I 100% do NOT ever ever exhaust out of my building, period! I'm 10 yrs grower in a basement setting.
Really? Why is that?

Pondracer

Pondracer

I have a very similar situation but my basement has no odor (mustiness etc) mainly because my HVAC leaks like a sieve lol. I previously built a small room years ago and used HPS in a glass tube that took in air from the outside and exhausted outside. It was sealed so the outside air never touched the plants. This worked very well. Fast forward about 15 years and now I am LED. Negative pressure is bad for me because I have fireplaces etc and it just brings in smell. I had to go with carbon filtration and hope for the best. I can say after this first run that it will work, but you have to design the filtration path correctly. I am fortunate in that I can vent into a sub-basement area too, but still there is zero smell in the house. Intake is from the livable side of the basement area and exhaust is into the subbasement side. I would look at GOOD quality carbon filters and adequate CFM as an option.

DistyDemon

DistyDemon

Actually the ONLY thing that gets vented out of my basement/building is my portable ac exhaust.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Do you mean not to tie into a gas furnace or gas hot water heater exhaust?

Cause i have been intaking inside air and blowing it out a brick chimney from my basement for 6 summers. In winter the exhaust is directed under the living room for supplemental heat.

DistyDemon

DistyDemon

Yup

The backdraft can/may cause your furnace or h20 tank pilot light to go out and fill the space with carbon monoxide.

Do as you wish, it's not my life or grow.

This has been talked about in full detail many years back.

Harvard

Harvard

My unuesd fireplace chimney has nothing to do with my furnace or hot water heater. It’s a sealed solid pipe out the roof. I didnt say anything about my furnace or hot water vent. They are separate, you don’t run your furnace or hot water heater vent into a chimney. You don’t know what your talking about!

Latest posts

Top Bottom