Micro grow gender questions and oddities

• Thread starter BC_August
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BC_August

First off, i've had some bad experiences from this forum but apparently theres not many others that are actually busy/answer threads so im gonna give it another go.

I am a complete novice, im learning a lot but please go easy on me

I've had a micro grow going because i wanted to learn techniques like LST and topping etc. I wanted to dial this in so im ready for my proper grow, where i plan to grow three plants in a 3x3x5 tent, under around 250watt LED. I'm not looking for huge yields, this is my first proper attempt so even 2-3 oz per plant will be amazing.

im waiting for ruderalis indica (sensi seeds) to arrive from some recommended to me who in my country, im from New Zealand so ordering seeds from overseas is dodgy AF, because weed is still illegal here for some reason. Im wanting to grow this strain for its ease of growing and its high CBD content, as 3/4 of my yield will go to make balms/edibles/tinctures to help family and friends with arthritis, epilepsy etc. My package of seeds has unfortunately been either stolen from my mailbox or the courier lost it. I'm preying they got lost, as its not the kind of thing you want stolen from your letterbox, with your address on it...

So getting that out of the way.

I grew two plants, one turned out to be a runt so i focused on the healthier looking plant which looks great, responds well to training etc, the yield will be like 5 grams but thats not the point. This is purely for learning.

I put the runt in with my tomatoes in a smaller grow tent under 12/12 to see what would happen, it quite quickly showed that it was a female, hooray! although sadly i have no room to keep growing it under 12/12 so im re-vegging it with my tomatoes and see what happens.

what im kinda worried/slightly annoyed at, is the healthier plant, was flipped to 12/12 on the 15th of December, 9 days ago (NZ, we're in the future) and it has absolutely no signs of gender? could this be because of light leaks? i may have a few coming through the fans but my main bedroom light is red and very dim so wouldnt think that would be a huge problem.

i'm seeing a bit of stretch, but no pistils or balls. The only positive that i can see is the stipules are crossing over each other, which i heard was a good sign of them being female?

I've been defoliating a bit aggressively as the fan leaves were getting huge, too close to my fans and shading a lot of the plant. perhaps i should stop that?

im such a novice that i only realised about a week ago that when LED sellers say "400W" it doesnt mean mean 400watt. so the "100w" light ive been growing this under is actually 20watt, ive installed the "50w" version to add some light, so a whopping 30 watts of power lol. the plants barely 6" tall so maybe its enough?

While i wait for my guy to send some more seeds im germinating some seeds a mate sent me, he bred them and his description is this : "
Strain is pre skunk x pre skunk.
So Mexican x Colombian x Afghanistan." which doesnt mean a lot to me, apparently im gonna be a guinea pig.

have 6 in jiffy cups and 2 in plastic cups with holes for drainage and average soil. to my surprise, one of the cups sprouted first!

Anyway

TL;DR - how long should i wait for this to show its gender? will it show in another 2-3 weeks? should i stop defoliating?

269558657 599830667975111 470073308356676589 n

269518758 590603138692983 1645837885108118125 n

269546631 956552755263638 388750196944217944 n

269462692 274396368005581 6086955586080811845 n

Reactions: PK1
SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

Quite a read man. I have more questions than answers I think but I’ll try to help you out. Your lights are a little lacking in my opinion to try and flower those plants. Are you just putting them in 12/12 to try and see if male or female and then re-vegging ? You will definitely want to avoid any light leaks if your trying to flower. For a micro grow I think your defoliation is fine, how long have you had them in veg? I would defoliate in veg then let recover before putting in flower and then defoliate once stretch is over after flipping to 12/12 (about 2-3 weeks of 12/12) then I wouldn’t cut anything more off and let it do it’s thing and grow buds.

B

BC_August

Quite a read man. I have more questions than answers I think but I’ll try to help you out. Your lights are a little lacking in my opinion to try and flower those plants. Are you just putting them in 12/12 to try and see if male or female and then re-vegging ? You will definitely want to avoid any light leaks if your trying to flower. For a micro grow I think your defoliation is fine, how long have you had them in veg? I would defoliate in veg then let recover before putting in flower and then defoliate once stretch is over after flipping to 12/12 (about 2-3 weeks of 12/12) then I wouldn’t cut anything more off and let it do it’s thing and grow buds.
Thanks man

Yeah the big read was because in past threads on here ive had to explain myself every time.

This was an experiment and tbh im not sure how long it vegged for. This was all an experiment, im done with my LST and topping experiment (to get ready for my real grow, which is currently germinating, one has sprouted!). I flipped it because im done with it and was curious to see what would happen. i think ill wait a total of 2-3 more weeks and give up, that area can be my seedling box, while young, before going into main tent. which ive almost got dialed in, dehumidifer seemed to do the trick but we'll see.

because it'll be my first grow i wanted to experiment while getting my tent dialed in and "perfect". temps are all good, humidity is getting fixed. think i just need another fan.

just to repeat myself (not to be a dick just to get the point across) - i dont care what gender this is, im just confused as to why its not showing any signs yet.

as for my runt that started to flower (female) that, by the way is the same age as this one so def old enough to flower, ive put outside. we're getting 15ish hours of sun a day, where i live it rains a lot and the wind is literally insane (google "windy wellington") so ive put it sorta sheltered. should be interesting to see if will re-veg and once the light gets less, see what happens.

i've caught the growing bug, and its all i can think about.

happy holidays by the way, from everyone in NZ, we're in the fuutuurree lol

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

I understand the explaining yourself man. I understand now, it should reveg with that much light. Not sure why the one plant is not showing yet. I have herd males do tend to take longer to show the Sex and also grow taller which may explain why your seeing some sort of stretch. You will have to keep everyone updated with the first grow. This site is full of knowledge and people to help you along the way. Happy holidays from the past here in the USA lol

B

BC_August

I understand the explaining yourself man. I understand now, it should reveg with that much light. Not sure why the one plant is not showing yet. I have herd males do tend to take longer to show the Sex and also grow taller which may explain why your seeing some sort of stretch. You will have to keep everyone updated with the first grow. This site is full of knowledge and people to help you along the way. Happy holidays from the past here in the USA lol
thanks man, appreciate it :) - i've actually heard that males show sex earlier, but i guess everyone has different opinions huh :) it'll be a shame but im not too worried.

bought an oz yesterday to split with someone, found 5 bag seeds (well, 4, one was too young), 2 of them were the perfect colour and i like the strain, its bushy outdoor that im gonna grow indoors (FYI: in NZ, strain names aren't well known because of the legal status, we have 2 "Strains" here - bush or skunk. bush generally means grown outdoors and skunk indoors, quite primitive really but its that way because of legalities)

funny story - i bought an old cheap dehumidifier for my tent yesterday off FB marketplace, when i picked it up i left with a bud as a christmas present hahah, gotta love this country sometimes.

will for sure document my real grow :) i'm aiming for 9 oz off of 3 plants. i think thats a modest goal for a first grow

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

thanks man, appreciate it :) - i've actually heard that males show sex earlier, but i guess everyone has different opinions huh :) it'll be a shame but im not too worried.

bought an oz yesterday to split with someone, found 5 bag seeds (well, 4, one was too young), 2 of them were the perfect colour and i like the strain, its bushy outdoor that im gonna grow indoors (FYI: in NZ, strain names aren't well known because of the legal status, we have 2 "Strains" here - bush or skunk. bush generally means grown outdoors and skunk indoors, quite primitive really but its that way because of legalities)

funny story - i bought an old cheap dehumidifier for my tent yesterday off FB marketplace, when i picked it up i left with a bud as a christmas present hahah, gotta love this country sometimes.

will for sure document my real grow :) i'm aiming for 9 oz off of 3 plants. i think thats a modest goal for a first grow
Oh yeah that’s definitely a modest goal I got over 9 ounces off just 2 plants. I’ll keep an eye out for your real grow

B

BC_August

ill help where i can
thanks man appreciate it :)

found a bunch more bag seed which im pleased about, i like this strain and will be interested to see it grown indoors.

have 6 skunk seeds in jiffy cups, one skunk seedling under some shitty blurple bendy lights (about 15watts, one of the lights is fucked)

and 2 bag seeds directly in "soil" aka 2.5 jiffy cups soaked and ripped apart to make soil and put it tiny pots, with plastic overtop and holes in them for air.

and 6 bag seeds doing the paper towel method.

so some experiments hahah. was shocked that the first to pop was a skunk seed straight in random soil.

think the dehumidifier has solved humidity problem, will know tomorrow

once i have a bunch of seedlings, a few inches tall, 6 will be going in my micro grow box, pretty sure whats in there is male, if its female ill just make another box for seedlings, then when strong enough, tent time :) gives me time to save for another fan and possibly light (banking on boxing day sales hahah).

thinking about selling off my tomato tent and light and focusing solely on weed, although the tomato was/is a decoy and i do enjoy. dilemmas. im not rich, unemployed even so this is def a budget grow.

Oh yeah that’s definitely a modest goal I got over 9 ounces off just 2 plants. I’ll keep an eye out for your real grow
will only be growing under 220-250watts so i think 9oz in total is a good goal for a budget first timer hahah.

B

BC_August

sadly im fairly certain its a male :( and the runt was the female. ah well. was a fun experiment.

Top Bottom