Mid-Late Flower Deficiency or Nute Burn?

• Thread starter SweetLeafGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Greetings Farmers and Cultivators!

So I am coming up on the tail end of my 2nd grow, which has not been all that smooth, but I have hopes that I will still be able to achieve a respectable harvest.

I am especially having problems with one plant and the strain is MotherLode. I am growing in organic soil, feeding Roots Organics Terp Tea nutrients, MarsHydro TSW 2000 is the light and it's about 14" from the tallest flowers in the tent and about 16" from the closest flower of this MotherLode plant. I have struggled to keep up with this plant's nutrients needs without overfeeding. I did a fairly heavy top dressing about a week ago and then also fed moderately last time I watered. I am wondering if I overdid it a bit with these last two feedings/waterings because some of the already yellow leaves are starting to curl up and brown at the tips.

I am just finishing up week 7 of what is supposed to be a 10-11 week finish so there is still some time to hopefully correct whatever it is that is going wrong with this plant to get her to the finish line. Thank you for any help you might be able to give!

Mid late flower deficiency or nute burn
Mid late flower deficiency or nute burn 2
Mid late flower deficiency or nute burn 3
Mid late flower deficiency or nute burn 4
OldManGrower

OldManGrower

I think you will make it to harvest, but my opinion is too much nutrients. Do you have a ppm meter? Measure the ppm of the mixed nuts in water, then measure the runoff. If it’s the same or more, then you are feeding too much nuts. I would flush one a week through harvest. Then use 2/3 or 1/2 of the nuts you have been using.
I’m on my 6th grow and learn something after every grow. Don’t beat yourself up. I got carried away with nutrients and have made the same mistake in the past. Best of luck to you.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I think you will make it to harvest, but my opinion is too much nutrients. Do you have a ppm meter? Measure the ppm of the mixed nuts in water, then measure the runoff. If it’s the same or more, then you are feeding too much nuts. I would flush one a week through harvest. Then use 2/3 or 1/2 of the nuts you have been using.
I’m on my 6th grow and learn something after every grow. Don’t beat yourself up. I got carried away with nutrients and have made the same mistake in the past. Best of luck to you.
I hope to hear from others on this issue but I think you are right OldManGrower, at least that is my gut feeling. I am going to water this gal with more water than normal to get a good amount of runoff next time they need water and see if that helps me nurse her to harvest. Then light feedings for two more weeks before cutting her off for the finish.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
that looks like a nitrogen or a potassium deficiency. before over watering and removing more nutrients, you should find out what the ph and ec/ppm of the soil is. You can remove about an inch top of the soil and then put hand full in a cup. then add 50% water and blend it. should be a 1:1 ratio
than you would want to blend it few times through the night and in the morning the soil is settled at the bottom of the cup and the water will be on top. You can check the ph and the ec/ppm to find out the nutrient and ph level of soil with out overwatering.

I think you need more nitrogen in your feeding schedule like cal mag. @tobh what you think?

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

that looks like a nitrogen or a potassium deficiency. before over watering and removing more nutrients, you should find out what the ph and ec/ppm of the soil is. You can remove about an inch top of the soil and then put hand full in a cup. then add 50% water and blend it. should be a 1:1 ratio
than you would want to blend it few times through the night and in the morning the soil is settled at the bottom of the cup and the water will be on top. You can check the ph and the ec/ppm to find out the nutrient and ph level of soil with out overwatering.

I think you need more nitrogen in your feeding schedule like cal mag. @tobh what you think?
That is exactly what I thought PK1, which was why I did such a heavy top dressing about a week ago. A couple of weeks before that I also did a moderated top dressing. Both times, I did include some of the N rich Grow formula. I have also been feeding when I water. so when after the last feeding, the already yellowing leaves began to burn at the tips as you can see in the photos, I began to wonder if I gave her too much.

Thank you for the suggestion about the soil. I will do as you said and see where we are on the ph and ppm of the soil and post my finding here.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
That is exactly what I thought PK1, which was why I did such a heavy top dressing about a week ago. A couple of weeks before that I also did a moderated top dressing. Both times, I did include some of the N rich Grow formula. I have also been feeding when I water. so when after the last feeding, the already yellowing leaves began to burn at the tips as you can see in the photos, I began to wonder if I gave her too much.

Thank you for the suggestion about the soil. I will do as you said and see where we are on the ph and ppm of the soil and post my finding here.
you have tip burns and the leaves are turning yellow. I think not having enough nitrogin is what causing the tips to born from the light. but i can be mistaking hence why i wanted @tobh to give his thoughts

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

you have tip burns and the leaves are turning yellow. I think not having enough nitrogin is what causing the tips to born from the light. but i can be mistaking hence why i wanted @tobh to give his thoughts
I agree, since the leaves have been yellow like that for most of this grow when I had nitrogen deficiency earlier in the grow. They just started to burn like that yesterday and was worse today (after a heavy feeding) so that is why I wanted to bring it to the experts here at the Farm to see if there is anything I can do to salvage a decent harvest.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
the thing with soil is that everything takes a few days for it to work before showing signs. So if you just did a heavy feeding then in few days you will see the signs on the plant.

To be safe i would say, give it water 3x the pot size. This will clean out any salt build ups and most of the nutrient. Than give it a final batch of water with nutrients to bring the food back to the plant. however, this is going to upset the plant since the dirt is packet with water and no air.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

You look close enough to not be feeding and you should defiantly not be putting on high n top dressings anytime in flower. Your plants have clear burn, now burn really comes from high N feeds a excess of P and K tend to show up in different ways. Terp tea is a dry nutrient mix, so in water or top dressed it will take 4-7 days to pop off and will bang hard for a week approximately. Flush your plants and stop feeding them stuff man. I can tell you need to to more reading, time to hit the books son! Theres a ton of free information here and online that can help prevent amateur mistakes

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

You look close enough to not be feeding and you should defiantly not be putting on high n top dressings anytime in flower. Your plants have clear burn, now burn really comes from high N feeds a excess of P and K tend to show up in different ways. Terp tea is a dry nutrient mix, so in water or top dressed it will take 4-7 days to pop off and will bang hard for a week approximately. Flush your plants and stop feeding them stuff man. I can tell you need to to more reading, time to hit the books son! Theres a ton of free information here and online that can help prevent amateur mistakes
Roots Organics recommends a light feeding of N about half-way through flower, which is all the high N I gave them this particular feeding. This is my second grow with Terp Tea nutrients and I have noticed my plants pop the next day after feeding so what you said about 4=7 days later has not been my experience.

I admit that I have neglected the plants on this grow, which is only my 2nd grow attempt. I am just trying to salvage things if I can because I need the medicine. I know I am an amateur but I did pretty good on my first grow and got 8 oz of pretty good medicine. This grow has been different because I am in the middle of RSO therapy for cancer and it's been pretty heavy. I'm consuming the amount of oil equal to an oz of flower every 4 days and it's been a difficult time to learn and so I have just done the best I can under these circumstances. And ya, I do love the Farm, that's why I post here when I need help.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Totally and not trying to be overly critical, N is commonly completely cut out during flower and that is as bad as hitting them with a high N feed. I thought you ment you hit them with a veg feed during flower not a flower feed with more N than usual. There may be some guanos that are pretty available pretty quick but i highly doubt there is a noticeable difference the day after mixing dry nutes into water. There is a entire biome that has to break those nutrients down before they are really available to your plant, bacteria and fungi decompose the nutrients making them available often via the enzymatic pathway. so the actual release is really based upon your soils entirely, healthy living soils that are properly equipped still take time to break down raw nutes like that. Even with salts(that are avail immediately) it takes days to see the change on your plants, it take a week of so of proper feeding to correct mild N deficiency.

7munkee

7munkee

I am new to this indoor growing, but am an avid organic gardener outside in the summer. I live in Pennsylvania and cannot grow cannabis outside without fear of major budrot in the fall from our high humidity. When I do , I have to go outside EVERY morning and shake the girls like a screaming baby to remove the dew.

But I just finished an inside grow and had problems VERY similar to yours. Same discoloring and burns at the same time (during mid to late flower).

The diagnosis I came up with was potassium deficiency. Potassium deficiency, from what I understand, begins at the outside edges and turns the leaves yellows as it progresses towards the center of the leaf.

I hope someone with more experience than me helps you out because it will help confirm my own problem

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

You can check the ph and the ec/ppm to find out the nutrient and ph level of soil with out overwatering.
I made a slurry of some of the soil from this plant last night with roughly equal amounts of water and soil. The ph came out at 7.2 which I am thinking is way high and ppm of 3770, again probably too high. So I am guess I need to flush this plant as previously suggested?

Reactions: PK1
OLDSILVERTIP

OLDSILVERTIP

Roots Organics recommends a light feeding of N about half-way through flower, which is all the high N I gave them this particular feeding. This is my second grow with Terp Tea nutrients and I have noticed my plants pop the next day after feeding so what you said about 4=7 days later has not been my experience.

I admit that I have neglected the plants on this grow, which is only my 2nd grow attempt. I am just trying to salvage things if I can because I need the medicine. I know I am an amateur but I did pretty good on my first grow and got 8 oz of pretty good medicine. This grow has been different because I am in the middle of RSO therapy for cancer and it's been pretty heavy. I'm consuming the amount of oil equal to an oz of flower every 4 days and it's been a difficult time to learn and so I have just done the best I can under these circumstances. And ya, I do love the Farm, that's why I post here when I need help.
know the feeling with cancer thing,even if is a a s[ow pace stick with the RSO and read everything three times for me tis no RSO till next fall.most forums u miss 1 day and miss out on exatcly what you wanted too know! found out about my condition to late in the year to try for more weight.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
I made a slurry of some of the soil from this plant last night with roughly equal amounts of water and soil. The ph came out at 7.2 which I am thinking is way high and ppm of 3770, again probably too high. So I am guess I need to flush this plant as previously suggested?
ya, that sounds good. a flush would take the excessive nutrients out. Your ph came out as 7.2??? are you sure your ph pen is cleaned and calibrated? if so, make sure your flush water is to your desire ph level and constantly check run off to see what the levels hit

PK1

PK1

Supporter
I am new to this indoor growing, but am an avid organic gardener outside in the summer. I live in Pennsylvania and cannot grow cannabis outside without fear of major budrot in the fall from our high humidity. When I do , I have to go outside EVERY morning and shake the girls like a screaming baby to remove the dew.

But I just finished an inside grow and had problems VERY similar to yours. Same discoloring and burns at the same time (during mid to late flower).

The diagnosis I came up with was potassium deficiency. Potassium deficiency, from what I understand, begins at the outside edges and turns the leaves yellows as it progresses towards the center of the leaf.

I hope someone with more experience than me helps you out because it will help confirm my own problem
thats correct, i mentioned that above that it is either a nitrogen or a potassium. However, later on i found that he has added more nutrients and the solution as mentioned above was to check the nutrient levels and ph of soil by performing a slurry mix. Now that he knows his levels we can be sure that a flush or watering the plant 3 times the size of the pot would remove the excessive nutrients. He might need to do more then three times, but we need to get those levels in range. I'd say 1.5ec would be a good to point to be.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Agree we're looking at multiple deficiencies.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

OK, so I performed the flush, probably not 3x the pot size but if I need to do more, I guess I will do that. I tested the runoff and at the end of my flush, the ph is sitting at 6.2 and around 2000 ppm. Do you think I need to flush more??? Thank you for your help by the way!

PK1

PK1

Supporter
OK, so I performed the flush, probably not 3x the pot size but if I need to do more, I guess I will do that. I tested the runoff and at the end of my flush, the ph is sitting at 6.2 and around 2000 ppm. Do you think I need to flush more??? Thank you for your help by the way!
ok that sounds good. Let's keep it where it is at now and see in a week how its going to be. It probably get a bit droopy due to the massive amount of water that it just had, but it will kick back.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

ok that sounds good. Let's keep it where it is at now and see in a week how its going to be. It probably get a bit droopy due to the massive amount of water that it just had, but it will kick back.
Thank you! Do you think I should give a 1/2 feeding after it finishes draining? Or perhaps there is still some nutrients there at that 2000 ppm mark that I should not need to add any? Trying to use this as a learning experience!

Top Bottom