Mini split AC clean down

• Thread starter Homesteader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Homesteader

Homesteader

How often do you all clean your AC unit? I have been doing it about every year or so but the fan gets nasty and Im thinking I should probably do it between every cycle. Also is simple green going to hurt my unit in the long term? The AC unit cleaner seems ridiculously overpriced. I'm cheap but simple green hasn't seem to hurt it yet in three years.

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

I would use vinegar and peroxide one sprayed on top of the other, let it sit and then rinse clean.

1989cheeseSOG

1989cheeseSOG

hydrogen peroxyde is corrosive on aluminium beware

to clean your indoor unit exchanger you need to buy evaporator cleaning foam, in spray
its not expensive

does the air from your indoor unit has a smell ?

iX_Lazy_Xi

iX_Lazy_Xi

Use compressed air to clean at closer intervals and prevent build up (blow with airflow) then you won't have to get coil cleaners as often, simple green is suitable for cleaning i would water it down some (2 -1) as well as spray out with clean water when done with simple green mix

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

I didnt clean it in two years (shameonme) and when i went to look into the blades the drum fan was completely coated in white mycelium and grey molds....the real funny part was that when i went to remove it with a brush , the smell that came out was very delicious healthy mushroom smell!!! like fresh oysters!!!
Anyway...after brushing, i washed the coils with a solution of half bleach and half water....i was told is a good substitute for the cleaning sprays....it will clean also the water recollection tray and the drain hose......unbelievable the gunk that came out.
For household use, the dust filter should be cleaned every week, but i noticed that ina sealed room its different, is not even near to the amount of dust that is generated in a space where people live...my dust filters were always pretty clean....the problem seems the molds in the blower drum fan that needs attention...
Im looking to run an air purifier in the room to keep the sporeload in check!

Homesteader

Homesteader

Going to perform a douche on the system today before my vegged plants get any larger. I am sure foaming AC foam ($10-20) is probably best, but my cheap ass has been using simple green for five years now with no issues and I still have half a concentrated jug left. I probably should do this every 6 months though. Most of the grime is on the wheel fan everytime.

sambapati

sambapati

Going to perform a douche on the system today before my vegged plants get any larger. I am sure foaming AC foam ($10-20) is probably best, but my cheap ass has been using simple green for five years now with no issues and I still have half a concentrated jug left. I probably should do this every 6 months though. Most of the grime is on the wheel fan everytime.
After every grow the air conditioning man comes to clean the 4 AC units in our place for $50.00 he is super polite, works quickly and never asks any questions (so I never tell him no lies). Pretty much every 6 months. I noticed on this grow the AC unit was almost spotlessly clean...no mushroom smell :)

Top Bottom