Mini Splits

• Thread starter Josey Wales
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Josey Wales

Anyone use a mini split AC and if so how bout in an area with cold winters? Do they work well when the temps get down, like 10F and below, all the way down to like -15F? I am building a sealed room and would like to use one of these.

Thanks

J

jdubz206

if the temps are that low outside, instead of a/c, wouldn't it be easier to intake from outside while lights are on? i'd add one of those hepa filters and place that on my intake to make sure no bugs or debris come in from outside...they have charcoal filters too..local to us i can give u the info if you want...i'm trying to figure out why heat is a problem when it's 10 - -15F outside? :smiley_joint:

D

doubleds

no problem at all mate !! I use 2 of them in my room and temps got down to - 20 celcius.

If you can use the friedrich model, they are built to withstand the cold.

P

pikes peak 69

Good to know about brands as I also want to add MiniSplit.

pp69

no problem at all mate !! I use 2 of them in my room and temps got down to - 20 celcius.

homebrew420

homebrew420

This is just a splitac system , right? A friend of mine installs them and another is using them. They rock. so efficient an compact. One condenser will power multiple units too. Great to have.

J

julsbagell

Premium Member
Supporter
They are the best money youll ever spend If they work well in dds area they will work anywhere the only neg thing I can say about them is when or if you have to move it. had some security problems at my place 4 weeks ago and had to tear down. not quite as easy as a regular ac lol.

D

dirty_one

they work very well in hot and cold temps and are very efficient. if you get the heat pump type with auto temperature they will use ac when lights are on and heat when lights are off to maintain a set temp. money well spent.

F

Finalopagus

Havc & Licences

What ^ they said also

Some things your gonna need:
Vacuum pump
Vacuum gauge w/mainifold
Vacuum line adapter
Copper pipe cutter
Flange press (check size carefully)
Freon +/- 5 lbs

In my area a licences is required to purchase r410a freon. If your space is "safe" I would recommend hiring a technician to install the units. Should cost 100-300 USD and take two hours or less per unit.

I found good deals and prompt service from these guys

:party0033:

H

heater

What makes the Friedrich brand good is the compressor, D.C. Inverter rotary the best technology available.
These inverters are very efficient and only use the capacity required to maintain temp. ie you have 36,000btu unit and lights off you need only 12,000btu's to cool space the compressor operates at only half it's capacity and is very efficient doing it. This is important because you don't short cycle the unit which is very hard and ineffiecent on the unit.
These are perfect for our application.:smiley_joint:

Oldsog

Oldsog

Supporter
depending on the model some have the heat strap for heating in winter but be sure to check because the lower priced units may not work in extremely cold areas.

i picked up a 12k btu (cooling and heating) for under 800. it came precharged with freon so all that was needed was a vacuum pump and it was extremely easy to install and wire the 2 units.

C

ClimateControl

Yea, we have the 18 seer models for 829.99

You got the 13 seer for $800? we get the Shinco 18 seer 12,000 btu for $829.99 Delivered-

We can do DIY Kits Too, give you support to install yourself if you cant find a MMF installer.

Invincible Electronics

fluffygrrrl

fluffygrrrl

Hi CC, do you know if the free 10' lineset is adequate? I have to buy 4 of the 12000 btu shincos and install in my polebarn. Also, they only give you a shipping discount online for 1, so if you buy 4 it really inflates the shipping charges. If I buy 4 of them I should get more of a discount rather than pay $220 each for shipping. Is there a better model to buy so I don't have to buy 4 of them? I want the tax credit, so I only want those models. Thanks for your help.

E

evlme2

Do yourself a favor and stay away from any mini split that is not a Mitsubishi Mr.Slim, Fujitsu, Lg or Sanyo.
A Shinco is nothing more than a relabeled Chigo unit and all Chigo units have an inherit problem of burning out PC boards, rendering them useless.
Also, all mini splits come precharged from the factory with enough r410 for a specific length lineset. It's usually 25'. This is VERY important because you will have to either add or remove some r410 if the lineset is longer/shorter.
R410 must be weighed into the system at specific measurements set by the manufacturer.
Please do not get fooled into the cheap prices on Shinco or Amcor or any other no frills brand.

C

ClimateControl

Hi CC, do you know if the free 10' lineset is adequate? I have to buy 4 of the 12000 btu shincos and install in my polebarn. Also, they only give you a shipping discount online for 1, so if you buy 4 it really inflates the shipping charges. If I buy 4 of them I should get more of a discount rather than pay $220 each for shipping. Is there a better model to buy so I don't have to buy 4 of them? I want the tax credit, so I only want those models. Thanks for your help.

Actually, if you are buying more than one, then we do special deals: Like 4-12,000 Btu Shinco's for $785 each!
You could go for an 180000 btu, but the cost is higher, 12,000 btu's are more economical. 9-18000 btu Shinco's get the tax credit

C

ClimateControl

Do yourself a favor and stay away from any mini split that is not a Mitsubishi Mr.Slim, Fujitsu, Lg or Sanyo.
A Shinco is nothing more than a relabeled Chigo unit and all Chigo units have an inherit problem of burning out PC boards, rendering them useless.
Also, all mini splits come precharged from the factory with enough r410 for a specific length lineset. It's usually 25'. This is VERY important because you will have to either add or remove some r410 if the lineset is longer/shorter.
R410 must be weighed into the system at specific measurements set by the manufacturer.
Please do not get fooled into the cheap prices on Shinco or Amcor or any other no frills brand.

Shinco Is Not Chigo, Please do not Mis-Inform People. Shinco is comparable to the major name brands in every way, except they cost less and still qualify for the energy tax credits. Any problems you may have run into with Shinco, I am willing to bet you ran into the same issues with the more Expensive brand- Guaranteed!

C

ClimateControl

I will have Friedrich Mini Splits soon, as of now the comparable brand that hits those low temps is Shinco at
-10C, and Klimaire at -15C

E

evlme2

Shinco Is Not Chigo, Please do not Mis-Inform People. Shinco is comparable to the major name brands in every way, except they cost less and still qualify for the energy tax credits. Any problems you may have run into with Shinco, I am willing to bet you ran into the same issues with the more Expensive brand- Guaranteed!
LOL, this is coming from a Shinco dealer.

C

ClimateControl

LOL, this is coming from a Shinco dealer.

Not only a dealer, but we import aswell-Which is how I know Shinco is not Chigo ( Also the PC boards they use, electrical components, and compressors, are all JAPANESE)-Not Chinese

China Doesnt Make technology, Japan, Germany, and USA does- China Makes Molds to Put that Technology in, and puts it all together

The Only thing they do there in China, with those JAPANESE Parts- are put them together, and box them

I am Also a AirCon, Klimaire, Mr. Whisper Dealer too- But I promote Shinco because it is a good product.

Anyways- Im not made that you are badmouthing every mini split but the Major Brands, and thats cool- Everyone can make their own decisions :passingjoint:

B

Buddy Hemphill

they all come from the same production facility in China...if they don't....

they all come from the same production facility in China...lol....you know, the whole "loss of US jobs" thing...

are ANY A/Cs made in America anymore?

Latest posts

Top Bottom