Miracle-gro in perlite killing plants

• Thread starter Dildo_Shwaggins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dildo_Shwaggins

Dildo_Shwaggins

I'll get right to the point so I don't waste anyone's time. I added about 25% perlite to my soil and since I'm fairly new to gardening, I didn't realize that my perlite has miracle-gro in it which upon some research I've discovered isn't good for cannabis. The past 2 or 3 weeks I've noticed what looks to me like some nute burn that's gotten progressively worse. I'm fairly certain the miracle-gro is the issue as my brother has his plants in the exact same soil mix without the perlite and his plants look fine.

I want to know if there's any steps I should take to remove the fertilizer from my soil (flushing with water or something) or if I need to transplant into different soil. I already have the same soil with the perlite mixed up in my final 5 gallon pot so if I'd rather not have to replace the soil but if I have to I will.

Miracle gro in perlite killing plants
Miracle gro in perlite killing plants 2
Miracle gro in perlite killing plants 3
MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Well... here's my 2 cents. I'm sure other people will have other opinions. Right, Miracle Grow isn't the optimum. And it sure isn't optimum in perlite. I'd transplant immediately into clean soil. Straight water until they look hungry again. Supplements and WEAK nute mixtures when it's right to start them again. I'm a soil guy too :)

Dildo_Shwaggins

Dildo_Shwaggins

Well... here's my 2 cents. I'm sure other people will have other opinions. Right, Miracle Grow isn't the optimum. And it sure isn't optimum in perlite. I'd transplant immediately into clean soil. Straight water until they look hungry again. Supplements and WEAK nute mixtures when it's right to start them again. I'm a soil guy too :)
So I'm fairly new to growing - I did last year and just had my plants in ground and gave them water with no nutes and they grew like crazy and had pretty good looking buds (didn't dry and cure them properly so we made edibles with them). Any way while I'm here I'll ask: as long as plants are healthy and appear to have no deficiencies, do I need to add nutrients? Could I just add compost instead (coffee grounds, eggshells, finely cut fruit)?

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
So I'm fairly new to growing - I did last year and just had my plants in ground and gave them water with no nutes and they grew like crazy and had pretty good looking buds (didn't dry and cure them properly so we made edibles with them). Any way while I'm here I'll ask: as long as plants are healthy and appear to have no deficiencies, do I need to add nutrients? Could I just add compost instead (coffee grounds, eggshells, finely cut fruit)?
It's all good. We all start somewhere :) I had a mentor about 25 years ago. Was lucky to have known him. So the deal with soil is this. It's usually rich if you are buying the good stuff. There's this stuff called Baccto that is available at any feed and seed store...like a farm co-op. It already has straight perlite and cow shit mixed into it. It's REALLY rich.

There are also root strategies to consider with soil. I go from a small 3 inch pot, to a 6 inch pot and then into a 5 gallon grow bag during veg. The 3 inch is for seedlings and clones. When they max out the pot, I trim the outer roots and about 1/4 inch of the bottom. They go into the 6 inch and the same thing is done. Wait for the roots to max out the pot. Trim. This time I do 1/4 on the sides and up to an inch on the bottom. Into the 5 gallon. Each time there is fresh soil packed. I give them a good 2 - 3 weeks in the 5 gallon bag before I start to flower them.

The first time my plants usually need a drink of nutrients is in week 2 -3 into flowering. And again, there will be many differing opinions, but I go with Earth Juice Bloom. And that's about it.

The first pic is what they look like when they are hungry (in need of nutes)

The second pic is a White Widow plant that is now going into week 3. Bad pic but there is a super fine cola developing on this one. She got her first shot of nutes last week. But then again the plant is almost 4ft tall :)

GD3a
GD2d
Spiman2u

Spiman2u

YO "D" relax. Perlite bad? Not. Just add water ..NO NUtES for awhile. Soil medium description would help us ..Flush agreed to be sure/ no over water.. 3 gal should work if outside temp is.. These pics r old..

20200606 202305
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I'll get right to the point so I don't waste anyone's time. I added about 25% perlite to my soil and since I'm fairly new to gardening, I didn't realize that my perlite has miracle-gro in it which upon some research I've discovered isn't good for cannabis. The past 2 or 3 weeks I've noticed what looks to me like some nute burn that's gotten progressively worse. I'm fairly certain the miracle-gro is the issue as my brother has his plants in the exact same soil mix without the perlite and his plants look fine.

I want to know if there's any steps I should take to remove the fertilizer from my soil (flushing with water or something) or if I need to transplant into different soil. I already have the same soil with the perlite mixed up in my final 5 gallon pot so if I'd rather not have to replace the soil but if I have to I will.
I've used the Miracle-Gro brand perlite, it has a tiny amount of their product in it and in my opinion it's not enough to affect your plants

Last edited:
Dildo_Shwaggins

Dildo_Shwaggins

I've used the Miracle-Gro brand perlite, it has a tiny amount of their product in it and in my opinion it's not enough to affect your plants
Okay, it's been pretty hot for the past week so my next guess was that the soil was getting too hot and maybe damaging the roots

Spiman2u

Spiman2u

Here also 90 Degrees here for nxt 7 days . Taking 2 Gal plus a day. Light Nutes

Dildo_Shwaggins

Dildo_Shwaggins

It's all good. We all start somewhere :) I had a mentor about 25 years ago. Was lucky to have known him. So the deal with soil is this. It's usually rich if you are buying the good stuff. There's this stuff called Baccto that is available at any feed and seed store...like a farm co-op. It already has straight perlite and cow shit mixed into it. It's REALLY rich.

There are also root strategies to consider with soil. I go from a small 3 inch pot, to a 6 inch pot and then into a 5 gallon grow bag during veg. The 3 inch is for seedlings and clones. When they max out the pot, I trim the outer roots and about 1/4 inch of the bottom. They go into the 6 inch and the same thing is done. Wait for the roots to max out the pot. Trim. This time I do 1/4 on the sides and up to an inch on the bottom. Into the 5 gallon. Each time there is fresh soil packed. I give them a good 2 - 3 weeks in the 5 gallon bag before I start to flower them.

The first time my plants usually need a drink of nutrients is in week 2 -3 into flowering. And again, there will be many differing opinions, but I go with Earth Juice Bloom. And that's about it.

The first pic is what they look like when they are hungry (in need of nutes)

The second pic is a White Widow plant that is now going into week 3. Bad pic but there is a super fine cola developing on this one. She got her first shot of nutes last week. But then again the plant is almost 4ft tall :)
Thanks for all the advice, I'm just a bit confused. If my plants are hungry why are they clawing? And pretty much all of my leaves have about 1cm of burning on the tips which I thought was nute burn. My smaller plant's new growth is clawing really bad too. In the area that I live in, we had lots of rain for about 2 or 3 weeks (plants are in a small green house so they weren't getting wet) then for the past week or two it's gotten pretty hot (30°C +). Could the sudden heat be irritating the roots, and if this is the case should I plant them in a bigger pot to avoid root damage?
20200622 083827

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Thanks for all the advice, I'm just a bit confused. If my plants are hungry why are they clawing? And pretty much all of my leaves have about 1cm of burning on the tips which I thought was nute burn. My smaller plant's new growth is clawing really bad too. In the area that I live in, we had lots of rain for about 2 or 3 weeks (plants are in a small green house so they weren't getting wet) then for the past week or two it's gotten pretty hot (30°C +). Could the sudden heat be irritating the roots, and if this is the case should I plant them in a bigger pot to avoid root damage?

:D I didn't say your plants were hungry. I was responding to this general question "So I'm fairly new to growing - I did last year and just had my plants in ground and gave them water with no nutes and they grew like crazy and had pretty good looking buds (didn't dry and cure them properly so we made edibles with them). Any way while I'm here I'll ask: as long as plants are healthy and appear to have no deficiencies, do I need to add nutrients? Could I just add compost instead (coffee grounds, eggshells, finely cut fruit)? "

So I gave you an example of a "hungry" plant with some root strategies lol :)))))

What you'll find in hot weather with soil is that they drink DEEEEEEEEEEEP. So their nutrient uptake is going to be much more increased that if they were in cool 50F - 60F weather in a hot house. You've got nutrients in the soil naturally plus what you are adding to them (now) + heat. Your mix is richer. So you are apt to get some burn for sure. I'd let them dry out and then flush for a cycle or two. Then see how they express. No more burn, just trim down whatever you are feeding them until they look hungry. Then crank it back up.

Dildo_Shwaggins

Dildo_Shwaggins

:D I didn't say your plants were hungry. I was responding to this general question "So I'm fairly new to growing - I did last year and just had my plants in ground and gave them water with no nutes and they grew like crazy and had pretty good looking buds (didn't dry and cure them properly so we made edibles with them). Any way while I'm here I'll ask: as long as plants are healthy and appear to have no deficiencies, do I need to add nutrients? Could I just add compost instead (coffee grounds, eggshells, finely cut fruit)? "

So I gave you an example of a "hungry" plant with some root strategies lol :)))))

What you'll find in hot weather with soil is that they drink DEEEEEEEEEEEP. So their nutrient uptake is going to be much more increased that if they were in cool 50F - 60F weather in a hot house. You've got nutrients in the soil naturally plus what you are adding to them (now) + heat. Your mix is richer. So you are apt to get some burn for sure. I'd let them dry out and then flush for a cycle or two. Then see how they express. No more burn, just trim down whatever you are feeding them until they look hungry. Then crank it back up.
Oh sorry I misunderstood you. My one plant is looking a lot better since I wrapped my black pots in white paper and I haven't watered them for a few days. I think the curling of the new growth was due to root damage/over-watering. I recently transplanted them then like I said it got really hot for a few days (the white paper I think is helping) that plus some over-watering I think is what caused it. Thanks again for the advice, I'll post some updates in about a week showing how they have recovered!

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Oh sorry I misunderstood you. My one plant is looking a lot better since I wrapped my black pots in white paper and I haven't watered them for a few days. I think the curling of the new growth was due to root damage/over-watering. I recently transplanted them then like I said it got really hot for a few days (the white paper I think is helping) that plus some over-watering I think is what caused it. Thanks again for the advice, I'll post some updates in about a week showing how they have recovered!
It’s all good ✌🏼 Check out this white widow momma I’m doing in a traditional bonsai style. I left the bottom two shoots on until they are big enough to clone. The only main branches on this will be the top two after those 2 clones are taken. When they are gone then it’s time for some root work and transplant to a shallow bonsai pot :)

D9F5B8BD A140 420F BBE5 78AA5F7201ED
Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

i have to..sometimes it's the only option available where i'm shopping. Prefer it not to be miracle grow in it but it's to low amount to do any real damage...currently growing 2 clones out now that were cloned almost entirely in that stuff...too many organics are likely to blame...but it's my guess

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
i have to..sometimes it's the only option available where i'm shopping. Prefer it not to be miracle grow in it but it's to low amount to do any real damage...currently growing 2 clones out now that were cloned almost entirely in that stuff...too many organics are likely to blame...but it's my guess

Hey dude :) I've ran into the perlite/miracle grow thing too. Pain in the ass, but there is a solution. Problem is (in general) when you add anything to a rich soil mix, it can get too hot. His issue was compounded. Perlite + good soil + too much H20. He let it dry out, will probably flush when he needs to water again, and the leaves uncurled :) Solution? I save all of my old soil and remix it with cow shit and let it compost. Well if you use depleted soil plus that spiked perlite, it's ok. BUT you have to change up your nutrient methods and treat that soil like coco fiber. So you are watering near to strength nutrients right out of the gate. I usually only have to spike some Cal Mag from time to time in rich composted soil through veg. Once they get into flowering they have been transplanted and root trimmed three times in veg. (Clone pot, 6 - 8 inch, then 5 gal grow bag). So they are getting repacked every 2 to 3 weeks with new fresh soil. Some strains need some extra Cal Mag towards the end of veg. And then by the 2nd or 3rd week of flowering, they usually have filled out the bag with roots and are hungry for the extras. I go old school with Earth Juice Bloom and then some micro supplements from Week 3 out. It just depends on what you're growing. Every strain has different things they like. I've got White Widow (old school), Pineapple Muffin, Squirt, Purple Mountain Majesty going. They are all Indica presenting with the exception of the WW. That stuff is leaning Sativa.

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Hey dude :) I've ran into the perlite/miracle grow thing too. Pain in the ass, but there is a solution. Problem is (in general) when you add anything to a rich soil mix, it can get too hot. His issue was compounded. Perlite + good soil + too much H20. He let it dry out, will probably flush when he needs to water again, and the leaves uncurled :) Solution? I save all of my old soil and remix it with cow shit and let it compost. Well if you use depleted soil plus that spiked perlite, it's ok. BUT you have to change up your nutrient methods and treat that soil like coco fiber. So you are watering near to strength nutrients right out of the gate. I usually only have to spike some Cal Mag from time to time in rich composted soil through veg. Once they get into flowering they have been transplanted and root trimmed three times in veg. (Clone pot, 6 - 8 inch, then 5 gal grow bag). So they are getting repacked every 2 to 3 weeks with new fresh soil. Some strains need some extra Cal Mag towards the end of veg. And then by the 2nd or 3rd week of flowering, they usually have filled out the bag with roots and are hungry for the extras. I go old school with Earth Juice Bloom and then some micro supplements from Week 3 out. It just depends on what you're growing. Every strain has different things they like. I've got White Widow (old school), Pineapple Muffin, Squirt, Purple Mountain Majesty going. They are all Indica presenting with the exception of the WW. That stuff is leaning Sativa.
ya i agree it can push it over the edge of the plants tolerance to nitrogen .07 is a low dose though, done the same to myself b4, but organics in a pot should be used sparingly until the grower learns it's quirks...a hard flush with to many organics can be detriment if not a death sentence...I have had great luck pulling plants out of their pots and gently rinsing ....being careful not to damage as few roots as possible and doing a soil replacement. just dont do it in the direct sun...sometime they respond within hours, or it may take 3-6 days...don't use ice cold water....just think of your balls when you first walk into a lake ,,Huh...lol

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
ya i agree it can push it over the edge of the plants tolerance to nitrogen .07 is a low dose though, done the same to myself b4, but organics in a pot should be used sparingly until the grower learns it's quirks...a hard flush with to many organics can be detriment if not a death sentence...I have had great luck pulling plants out of their pots and gently rinsing ....being careful not to damage as few roots as possible and doing a soil replacement. just dont do it in the direct sun...sometime they respond within hours, or it may take 3-6 days...don't use ice cold water....just think of your balls when you first walk into a lake ,,Huh...lol

I'm down with everything you just said. One exception. The roots part. I'm a bonsai freak too. Like Desert Rose, Firs, Pines, that kind of thing. And I use bonsai techniques on my momma plants including extreme root maintenance. It does a lot re: height, leaf size, etc. Those are plants I plan to keep for years for clones. The trouble is they get REALLY sensitive to nutrients at that stage. So the easiest thing to do is flush the plant to fill it with moisture. Then root maintenance (at least a 1/4 inch cut from all sides and up to an inch off the bottom. Sure they shock out for 3 - 4 days, but bounce right back. Knock on wood... I haven't lost one in 26 years :) Roots aren't as sensitive as a lot of people think.

Top Bottom