Mixing LED & HPS lights together

• Thread starter Ph 007
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ph 007

Ph 007

Any of you guys running led and hps together?
What mix of light and watt do you use, what room tempreture tour running?

Does anyone have any idea what would be best for me 4x4

I have a room 4x4 I use to run a 600 watt hps
Now I have this light setup
3 lights that's
1xHPS dimmable in the middle of 2 leds boads
And 2x LED 240watt quad board dimmable.

I can dim all lights but I'm not sure what would be best, as I have read that a 400watt coveres a 4x4 area nice,
I am at the moment trying the hps dimmed down to 250wat and the 2 leds boards 1 either side of the hps are dimmed down to 150watt,
That a total of 550 watt
Bassicly I'm aiming to only used 600 watt total between the 3 lights so my electric is the same as it use to be when running just a 600 watt hps..

I have these options to dim my lights
My hps is 600watt can be dimmed to 450 / 275 / 250
And
My leds can be dimmed from 240 all way down to 20w.

I was thinking 400 watt hps 2x100 led
Or
275watt how and 2x 150watt led

I'd rather more led than HPS, but I'm worries about leaf temprutute as a 275watt hps doesn't cover a 4x4 area very well? Or am I wrong

I'm running normal hps temps
day 75-77f , night 70-72

I have the 274watt how close the the canopy the bulb is 10inches above feels ok to my hand so not to hot , and the leds are 40cm away running at 150wat
the plants have been under the lights for 2 days looking good do far, but I'm wondering if I be better running higher room temps and maybe moving the hps higher above the canopy so I dobt get a hot spot in the middle area while I'm upping the room temperature.

Anyone got any ideas or any experience. Mixing leds and hps?

Ph 007

Ph 007

Personally I would ditch the HPS. Its not worth the heat and power. The 2 240w quantum boards is enough. 👍
I have done a run with just the boats had 5 a plant In soil olants whwre only a foot /1.5 foot tell and square best yield if ever had for soil and such a small plant.
So i would love pure led avain but i cant get my temps highe enogh , i had to run a 500 watt oil heater when lights where on see, so i had 2x240 quard boards and 500 watt oil heater on a thermo stat that would kick in every few minuits so electric got pricey :(

If added hpt now ad it's cheaper to run a 275 / 400 watt hps as a heater than it is to run my oil radiator

Ph 007

Ph 007

I have done a run with just the boats had 5 a plant In soil olants whwre only a foot /1.5 foot tell and square best yield if ever had for soil and such a small plant.
So i would love pure led avain but i cant get my temps highe enogh , i had to run a 500 watt oil heater when lights where on see, so i had 2x240 quard boards and 500 watt oil heater on a thermo stat that would kick in every few minuits so electric got pricey :(

If added hpt now ad it's cheaper to run a 275 / 400 watt hps as a heater than it is to run my oil radiator
With out a heater just led my room us only 75-76f I can't get it up to 80-82 or 85 like my last led run

growsince79

growsince79

Any of you guys running led and hps together?
What mix of light and watt do you use, what room tempreture tour running?

Does anyone have any idea what would be best for me 4x4

I have a room 4x4 I use to run a 600 watt hps
Now I have this light setup
3 lights that's
1xHPS dimmable in the middle of 2 leds boads
And 2x LED 240watt quad board dimmable.

I can dim all lights but I'm not sure what would be best, as I have read that a 400watt coveres a 4x4 area nice,
I am at the moment trying the hps dimmed down to 250wat and the 2 leds boards 1 either side of the hps are dimmed down to 150watt,
That a total of 550 watt
Bassicly I'm aiming to only used 600 watt total between the 3 lights so my electric is the same as it use to be when running just a 600 watt hps..

I have these options to dim my lights
My hps is 600watt can be dimmed to 450 / 275 / 250
And
My leds can be dimmed from 240 all way down to 20w.

I was thinking 400 watt hps 2x100 led
Or
275watt how and 2x 150watt led

I'd rather more led than HPS, but I'm worries about leaf temprutute as a 275watt hps doesn't cover a 4x4 area very well? Or am I wrong

I'm running normal hps temps
day 75-77f , night 70-72

I have the 274watt how close the the canopy the bulb is 10inches above feels ok to my hand so not to hot , and the leds are 40cm away running at 150wat
the plants have been under the lights for 2 days looking good do far, but I'm wondering if I be better running higher room temps and maybe moving the hps higher above the canopy so I dobt get a hot spot in the middle area while I'm upping the room temperature.

Anyone got any ideas or any experience. Mixing leds and hps?
I use 2x 100w hlg with a 150w hps in the middle of a 2x4. Works great.

BigCube

BigCube

It could still be cheaper to run the heater.it may be a 500w heater, but it's on less than half the time. And most likely not on much during light hours.

Also you need to consider your exhaust. If your exhaust is constantly on, your tent may never come up to temperature. Most of that heat is going straight out the exhaust. May be worth sorting that out?

Ph 007

Ph 007

Sound great mate, I hace tires 400 watt hps and like your then 2x 100 led great results,
I wonder bow muxh led is enogh, like I mean I run them at 150 2 boards no how just a oil heater had cracking results, I found 240x2 was actually giving me to much light got lihht burn symptoms,

Ph 007

Ph 007

It could still be cheaper to run the heater.it may be a 500w heater, but it's on less than half the time. And most likely not on much during light hours.

Also you need to consider your exhaust. If your exhaust is constantly on, your tent may never come up to temperature. Most of that heat is going straight out the exhaust. May be worth sorting that out?
I was tracking electric 2xled run at 240 and 500 watt heater and like your said was actually a it cheaper I sad tracking daily electric usage. But then got bit cold.and just had the the rad thermostat up just a smudge and the elcetrdic abot up like 70p a day and was ovwr my usually running just a 600 hps,

I have a fan controller unit rhino
I hace it dimmed down to 20% less I might get smell leak, buy like your said this fan going 24-7 is causing problems keeping the what up.

Ph 007

Ph 007

How close do your keep your led ? I 150 watt led wuad board at 30-35cm away and they seem to be fine with that , i had 250watt led at 70-75cm away closer it would give me light burn I'm still new with these led's so even distance from the canopy is new to me

Scrogger2190

Scrogger2190

I have a side by side pic of led and hps in my profile if anyones interested. It was a long time ago when I did that grow so cant give many details (like 4 years ago lol) but if anyone has questions I'll do my best to answer

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Old thread.., HID and LED mixed worked well for me.
1k HID with 480w LED.
20220127 202725

Top Bottom