Mixing up light spectrums

• Thread starter Pepsauce
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pepsauce

Pepsauce

Hey all,

I've been growing with Gavita DE's the last few years since I've scaled up from my basement and the quality has been good but not as good when I was using single ended hortilux super hps. To me its the difference in spectrum... I'm building out a 4th flower room and am about to run an experiment. I've swapped out 6 out of 15 gavitas de hps with gavita cmh 630 with 4100k bulbs. The one room in week 4 with this light combo looks amazing and very frosty compared to what i've been doing with all de hps.

What I'm thinking of doing in my other two flower rooms is swapping out every other bulb, instead of fixture, with a double ended metal halide to increase the spectrum and compare to the CMH rooms.

Big questions so far is what bulbs can I use? From what I've heard Ushio de mh will not run in gavita... I've seen Nano lux makes a 4k and 6k de mh... and solistek makes 3 de mh, a 4k, 6k, and 10k. Apparently the 10k is more for finishing flowers off with increased UV output.

I'd appreciate any advice, input, experiences anyone has had using these double ended metal halides and CMH's, especially mixing spectrums.

On another note, I was going to try to mix in the new Ceramic HPS that hortilux is supposed to be making, distributors just dont have it yet...

I'll post some pics of the girls under the mix of HPS and CMH later, Thanks again!!!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have no double ended experience to share but i use se 600w hortilux super hps’. And i also feel there is an incease in quality over a standard hps bulb.

Doesn't Hortilux sell a de hps? And doesnt de have a better spectrum in general. I thought that was one of the benefits?

Bmg1982

Bmg1982

Hey all,

I've been growing with Gavita DE's the last few years since I've scaled up from my basement and the quality has been good but not as good when I was using single ended hortilux super hps. To me its the difference in spectrum... I'm building out a 4th flower room and am about to run an experiment. I've swapped out 6 out of 15 gavitas de hps with gavita cmh 630 with 4100k bulbs. The one room in week 4 with this light combo looks amazing and very frosty compared to what i've been doing with all de hps.

What I'm thinking of doing in my other two flower rooms is swapping out every other bulb, instead of fixture, with a double ended metal halide to increase the spectrum and compare to the CMH rooms.

Big questions so far is what bulbs can I use? From what I've heard Ushio de mh will not run in gavita... I've seen Nano lux makes a 4k and 6k de mh... and solistek makes 3 de mh, a 4k, 6k, and 10k. Apparently the 10k is more for finishing flowers off with increased UV output.

I'd appreciate any advice, input, experiences anyone has had using these double ended metal halides and CMH's, especially mixing spectrums.

On another note, I was going to try to mix in the new Ceramic HPS that hortilux is supposed to be making, distributors just dont have it yet...

I'll post some pics of the girls under the mix of HPS and CMH later, Thanks again!!!
I run SE 600's w/ Ceramic HPS. The bulb takes a few to get up to power. According to Eye it's supposed to mimic sunrise. Not sure about all of that, but they recommend that bulb to stay with that ballast for that reason. Sure your mileage will vary in another rig.

The ballast and bulb run pretty hot, I run my ballasts remotely outside of my tent.

So far I only have one grow under my belt with those lamps, and I mix two of them with a 315 cmh, would run three 600's, but they cook in my space.

Initial results were great after working around heat issues in a 3x9 tent. Noticed bushier plants with a slight increase in resin, compared to a horti super hps that I usually run, probably due to increased blue spectrum and slight bumps in UV-B and UV-A range. Yields seemed the same.

Pepsauce

Pepsauce

I have no double ended experience to share but i use se 600w hortilux super hps’. And i also feel there is an incease in quality over a standard hps bulb.

Doesn't Hortilux sell a de hps? And doesnt de have a better spectrum in general. I thought that was one of the benefits?
I’ve been running gavita bulbs because I’ve been relying on a friend w/o investigating, but now I’m comparing differences in one room where I’ve replaced one bulb with a luxx de hps and in another row one bulb with hortilux de hps. The hortilux bulb is the most well made as far as construction and quality of metal ends coming out, no bending them up like other brands.

Pepsauce

Pepsauce

I run SE 600's w/ Ceramic HPS. The bulb takes a few to get up to power. According to Eye it's supposed to mimic sunrise. Not sure about all of that, but they recommend that bulb to stay with that ballast for that reason. Sure your mileage will vary in another rig.

The ballast and bulb run pretty hot, I run my ballasts remotely outside of my tent.

So far I only have one grow under my belt with those lamps, and I mix two of them with a 315 cmh, would run three 600's, but they cook in my space.

Initial results were great after working around heat issues in a 3x9 tent. Noticed bushier plants with a slight increase in resin, compared to a horti super hps that I usually run, probably due to increased blue spectrum and slight bumps in UV-B and UV-A range. Yields seemed the same.
Sounds promising. I’m in a super competitive market and you need those frosty nuggets.
What kelvin temp was the cmh bulb?

Bmg1982

Bmg1982

Sounds promising. I’m in a super competitive market and you need those frosty nuggets.
What kelvin temp was the cmh bulb?
I'm a fan of the Philips elite agro 3100k, I got introduced to 315 cmh a few years ago. Was running Horti 1000's at the time and had a ballast shit out. Ended up borrowing a 315 from a friend and finished a few plants under it.

Although the plants under the 315 didn't yield as much, they were definitely frostier. I've been using them for veg, and supplementing them into flower ever since.

One of my main objectives is fire concentrates, and feel UV-B really brings something to the table, as I've learned from CMH. Main reason I'm giving the Ceramic HPS a try is due to the small bumps at 315nm and 335nm which represent both UV-B and UV-A. No other HPS offers that, although I can't seem to find any extended spectrum graphs for any other HPS lamps, they seem to all fall off at 350-380nm.

Pepsauce

Pepsauce

I'm a fan of the Philips elite agro 3100k, I got introduced to 315 cmh a few years ago. Was running Horti 1000's at the time and had a ballast shit out. Ended up borrowing a 315 from a friend and finished a few plants under it.

Although the plants under the 315 didn't yield as much, they were definitely frostier. I've been using them for veg, and supplementing them into flower ever since.

One of my main objectives is fire concentrates, and feel UV-B really brings something to the table, as I've learned from CMH. Main reason I'm giving the Ceramic HPS a try is due to the small bumps at 315nm and 335nm which represent both UV-B and UV-A. No other HPS offers that, although I can't seem to find any extended spectrum graphs for any other HPS lamps, they seem to all fall off at 350-380nm.
That’s what i like to hear. Yeah hortilux had a de ceramic hps at MJBizCon that looked amazing. Hortilux says they have them all boxed up ready to sell, just waiting for the distributors to get them and list them. I’m currently running the 4200k lamp in supplementing my DE hps and its very blue. Maybe when I go to replace bulbs I’ll try 3100k

Bmg1982

Bmg1982

That’s what i like to hear. Yeah hortilux had a de ceramic hps at MJBizCon that looked amazing. Hortilux says they have them all boxed up ready to sell, just waiting for the distributors to get them and list them. I’m currently running the 4200k lamp in supplementing my DE hps and its very blue. Maybe when I go to replace bulbs I’ll try 3100k
Wish I had more advice when it came to your DE's. I was initially scared away from those setups as early DE equipment was unreliable when it came to firing. I'm sure times have changed as I've seen tons of success with those setups.

One thing that will probably hold true w/ your DE Ceramic HPS is heat. Those bulbs are real heavy in the 730-800nm range which represent far red and infrared. My understanding is that end of the spectrum is being utilized to create the "Emerson Effect".

Growers choice now has a SE 500w CMH rig on the market. Supposed to compete w/ the dual 315 lights. Definitely curious about those. Will probably grab one in a few months and give it a spin.

Bardfoadmraj

Bardfoadmraj

The agro isn't for weed either tho and people have been flowering with that and the SHPS. It will make it change color but I wouldn't use it. I think its for cacti or the preflower phase but it seems either cmh bulb will work for that.

visajoe1

visajoe1

As it relates to mixing light spectrum's, scope this video out. At the 18 minute mark he starts talking about light spectrum effects on cannabis.

Latest posts

Top Bottom