modify water chiller with wort coil

• Thread starter pdasterly
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

Ikkt

Yes it would.
Why shouldn't it?

You can bleed it as easy as parting the hose at the highest point of the system and run water through it with a small pump from a bucket, keeping both openings of the hose under water and reconnecting it under water too.

pdasterly

pdasterly

what size pump should i get, i have 1 hp chiller and picked up stainless steel wort coil 1/2 diameter 25". my chiller wants 800-1000gpm pump but i think this is way too much, should be less than 2 gallons of water with the wort coil and tubing

Kraken.headz

Kraken.headz

Since you're working with such a small amount of water in a relatively powerful chiller, I'd consider adding a percentage of food grade glycol. Especially if you're going with a smaller pump.

pdasterly

pdasterly

Since you're working with such a small amount of water in a relatively powerful chiller, I'd consider adding a percentage of food grade glycol. Especially if you're going with a smaller pump.
i read that as well, smallest pump that will work is 250gpm, thats smallest inline pump i can source, ecoplus and active aqua

Kraken.headz

Kraken.headz

That's quite a length of 1/2" to be running off a 250. The faster the flow, the safer you'll be.

pdasterly

pdasterly

That's quite a length of 1/2" to be running off a 250. The faster the flow, the safer you'll be.
current system uses 1000gpm pump and travels approx 30 ft, using 1" hose. I just hate when the chiller gets clogged, its unexpected and annoying

GRAPEGODaero

GRAPEGODaero

Would it not be better to have a seperate res for the chiller to cool than pump that chilled water thru the wort chiller? Seems going from 1in to half in is going to reduce the flo by half. Seems like a bad idea to go out chiller into coil. You would be able to use the chilled res to cool more stuff if u used big enough res.

pdasterly

pdasterly

Would it not be better to have a seperate res for the chiller to cool than pump that chilled water thru the wort chiller? Seems going from 1in to half in is going to reduce the flo by half. Seems like a bad idea to go out chiller into coil. You would be able to use the chilled res to cool more stuff if u used big enough res.
idk im open to ideas, havent pull trigger yet, but soon after harvest😀

GRAPEGODaero

GRAPEGODaero

idk im open to ideas, havent pull trigger yet, but soon after harvest😀
Im going to be cooling 3 ucxl32 systems with 3 50' ss wort chillers ran off a manifold and return manifold. 1 1800 gph danner mag feeding the manifold and a 1200 danner mag pushing water from my 200 gallon res thru chiller to chill the 200 gallons.

pdasterly

pdasterly

Im going to be cooling 3 ucxl32 systems with 3 50' ss wort chillers ran off a manifold and return manifold. 1 1800 gph danner mag feeding the manifold and a 1200 danner mag pushing water from my 200 gallon res thru chiller to chill the 200 gallons.
pics please, my brain cant visualize

GRAPEGODaero

GRAPEGODaero

pics please, my brain cant visualize
Those are wort chillers. Give me couple days and ill have manifold setup finished. Its only the 2nd one ill have built and lts a headache. Sit down and draw it out on paper to figure out the pieces. Use shutoff valves not sure what would be better on the return or the feed side but adjust to get equal pressure

20190904 202841
GRAPEGODaero

GRAPEGODaero

As far as running water thru your chiller then into the wort then back to chiller. You will probably damage the chiller because not enough flow rate.

pdasterly

pdasterly

As far as running water thru your chiller then into the wort then back to chiller. You will probably damage the chiller because not enough flow rate.
i got my coil from nybrew, was gonna use a 13 gallon bucket and put pump inside bucket. So return line from chiller to coil, out coil into the bucket. The pump stays under water inside the bucket

GRAPEGODaero

GRAPEGODaero

Got the chiller plumbed thru the wall into closet space where the actual res will be. Both are not in the grow room. Working on manifold still.

20190920 195839
20190920 195903
20190920 195943
GRAPEGODaero

GRAPEGODaero

Its to long to get a pic with the whole thing in it. Ill get better one tomorrow

20190928 185541
Top Bottom