moist vs wet soil is it the same

• Thread starter biggerbud420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
biggerbud420

biggerbud420

would you guys consider some being moist the same as something being wet ?
example you say weed likes a good wet and dry cycle between watering would wet be dripping or sitting in water and moist just be if feels damp ?

2Bad

2Bad

would you guys consider some being moist the same as something being wet ?
example you say weed likes a good wet and dry cycle between watering would wet be dripping or sitting in water and moist just be if feels damp ?
wet is when something is fully saturated. if your in soil. you want a few drops of run off. I think @Shaded_One lets his sit in a saucer and soak up his run off..correct Shade?

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

wet is when something is fully saturated. if your in soil. you want a few drops of run off. I think @Shaded_One lets his sit in a saucer and soak up his run off..correct Shade?
so i understand what your saying 2bad wet is saturated so lets says 2 or 3 days after watering its not wet/saturated any more but feels moist , then is that considered dry ? or is dry being like bone dry not feeling moist/damp at all

2Bad

2Bad

so i understand what your saying 2bad wet is saturated so lets says 2 or 3 days after watering its not wet/saturated any more but feels moist , then is that considered dry ? or is dry being like bone dry not feeling moist/damp at all
so most people here will say to lift the pot or get a moisture meter. Can't necessarily count on feeling the soil.

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

so most people here will say to lift the pot or get a moisture meter. Can't necessarily count on feeling the soil.

well i know what most people here say i been here 2 years . i am not asking because i have a problem im only curious as to what people definition of the 2 are
i have a moisture meter i use it and also go by weight i have also taken the plant out of the pot and looked at the dirt after i have picked it up and used the moisture meter

Trixie

Trixie

Knowing the amount of water the container holds or the water volume of the container will make it easier to manage water. An example is if I have a 3-gallon pot that holds 3 liters of water. On the next watering day I give the plant 2 liters and start to get plant runoff. That tells me the container is holding one liter on water day and adding two is all that's needed. So I know exactly how much to give my plants on a watering day without a lot of waste. Its important to never let the rootball become completely dry because of root die-back.

Ponky

Ponky

If it's too dry the water almost bounces off. It's it's the perfect amount when you water. Its almost like a nice coffee pourover. And you see it absorbing in. But air bubbles still come out the bottom of the pot. And it drinks faster. The difference for me is a few hours. Wait a few hours too long. It droops.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I'll take a video next time I water. It's super scientific ;)

I don't let my plants sit in runoff, but I do let them soak up excess water that is usually wicked up to the medium/fabric pot within 30-60 seconds. I just know that when I see dry top soil chances are the plant needs water either today or by next morning.

+1 @Ponky especially peat based mediums. They get too dry they become hydrophobic and you can and will get spots of dry air in your pots.

Ponky

Ponky

If it gets hydrophobic either buy a wetting agent or use a pure unscented soap in the water to break the surfactance.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

No, if it's moist, it is not considered dry.

Cannabis plants want water AND oxygen in the soil. If you water it again when it's moist, the plant roots won't get enough oxygen, and they'll eventually die and rot. And for extra fun, you'll have swarms of fungus gnats in your grow.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Moist and damp are words used to describe points on a continuum that has wet and dry as the two endpoints. As I slide a moisture meter probe into soil, the pointer gradually rises. The soil is typically wetter the farther the probe is inserted. So, the soil can be wet, moist, damp and dry all at once. What weed likes is to be dry all the way to the bottom.

TSD

TSD

I consider wet just watered, as in saturated, 10 on a 1-10 moisture meter, also 8 and 9 are pretty wet. I consider moist like 3-7 on the meter... a couple days after watering, the soil is still moist. I consider dry a 0-2 on the moisture meter, they usually don't droop till around 1 or 0 on the meter, which for my current plant is about 5 to 6 days in almost 4 gallons of soil, obviously that varies with environment, plant size and stage. This also depends where you're stabbing the meter if you use one, they dry top down and outside to middle, so a tall pot may show dry on top, but still almost saturated below the water table towards the bottom... that's why it's important to judge by weight and not just feel the top of the soil. As long as they have established, healthy roots, they will get the lower water, and letting them dry back forces the roots to search for water and grow. I like to hear the satisfying sound of air bubbling out of my soil when I water... tells me she was indeed ready for a drink.

PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
In my opinion there's definitely a difference between wet and moist. Wet means it won't hold much more water as it's pretty well completely saturated. Moist soil should be in the middle of wet and dry. Here's a really good article that talks a little bit about the different moisture levels and what plants like to promote best growth. I believe the goldilocks of a moisture zone is level 3. This study is from the University of Guelph.

Last edited:
Madmax

Madmax

Moist and damp are words used to describe points on a continuum that has wet and dry as the two endpoints. As I slide a moisture meter probe into soil, the pointer gradually rises. The soil is typically wetter the farther the probe is inserted. So, the soil can be wet, moist, damp and dry all at once. What weed likes is to be dry all the way to the bottom.
sounded like you described a pussy for the most part šŸ˜

Latest posts

Top Bottom