Moisture content of bud for the perfect cure?

• Thread starter bobby34
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bobby34

What is the ideal moisture content for bud to start the curing process?.

Dbear180

Dbear180

When the stems dont quite snap. Can take between 4 days up to 2 weeks of drying depending on your conditions. I cant really describe the feel or give you a solid number other than dry but still spongy, it's just something you learn from trial & error. A little dry is better than too wet. Too wet will make it smell & taste like hay.

B

bobby34

I was actually looking for numbers after using a moisture meter ? Ive been told 10-15%??

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
cheers folks, I know it’s anal but I’m trying to create the dankest product as competition is getting fierce.
Get yourself some Bloody Skunk Auto from SweetSeeds and you will get DANKED :-)

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

You're over engineering. The goal is to dry slow. I dry mine in a cool room, like 60* F, for a week or so, with a fan moving air in the room. When the stems are getting brittle, and the tips of the buds are crisp, and the bud feels dry, but not crisp, I cut off into paper bags, and roll the tops closed. I dry those in the cool room for another two weeks, shaking every other day. Then into zips. Works fine, every time.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
You're over engineering. The goal is to dry slow. I dry mine in a cool room, like 60* F, for a week or so, with a fan moving air in the room. When the stems are getting brittle, and the tips of the buds are crisp, and the bud feels dry, but not crisp, I cut off into paper bags, and roll the tops closed. I dry those in the cool room for another two weeks, shaking every other day. Then into zips. Works fine, every time.
How do you avoid shaking off off your trichomes in those shaken bags?

I hang my larger colas, use drying racks for smaller bud, i may use a small circulation fan blowing along a wall for circulation (being careful that fans don't move my colas). I hang until the medium sized stems snap; like you i'll put smaller buds that may not be dry enough into paper bags. I shake nothing though and try to take care to avoid letting colas rub against each other. I use a Honey Bee trimming tray and get quite a bit of kif just while trimming. In a memorable Iranian Diesel grow, i even got 33 grams of full melt off the trimming tray. Handle your drying and dry bud with care and you'll be rewarded with better bud.

Last edited:
Dub_City405

Dub_City405

20% was a bit dried out low terps for me. Thats why i chop it down a bit early trim a bit damp. Let it even in bim then send to lab.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

How do you avoid shaking off off your trichomes in those shaken bags?
I'm just loosening up and turning over the buds in the bag. Not a hard shake, just turning to get airflow. Probably shedding a few trichomes, but not enough to affect the quality of the results.

mikeross

mikeross

Moisture content ideally should be in the low teens, but if your using a dry trimming machine you got no choice but to take it down to about 10% if you want a nice tight trim. Now if your talking about moisture content of a jar or room I'd say low 60's, 62% being ideal for long term storage.

If you have the means for an a/c, humidifer and dehumidifier, think of your entire room as one big mason jar. If you can lock in the temp and humidity at 60/60 you can literally leave them on the vine to cure, trim, then just put them in their final container, no burping required. I've got my room at 60/60, let whole plants just hang there for upwards of 6 weeks(longest i've tried this), when I remove the buds from the plant to trim they are already cured to perfection.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Moisture content ideally should be in the low teens, but if your using a dry trimming machine you got no choice but to take it down to about 10% if you want a nice tight trim. Now if your talking about moisture content of a jar or room I'd say low 60's, 62% being ideal for long term storage.

If you have the means for an a/c, humidifer and dehumidifier, think of your entire room as one big mason jar. If you can lock in the temp and humidity at 60/60 you can literally leave them on the vine to cure, trim, then just put them in their final container, no burping required. I've got my room at 60/60, let whole plants just hang there for upwards of 6 weeks(longest i've tried this), when I remove the buds from the plant to trim they are already cured to perfection.
Yeah MC ideally 12-15% for cure then I like dried down to about 8-10% for smoking.

j1sonbrother

j1sonbrother

Supporter
For the bud idk the moisture content. I go by the RH at a stable 62% RH I start curing
Aqua, after I kept the humidity at 55% for two weeks drying , I realized that the humidity in jar was only 51-52 in curing. Even if I used boveda 62%, the humidity was still difficult to come up.
Is there a good way to increase the humidity in the jar to about 60%? ,

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Aqua, after I kept the humidity at 55% for two weeks drying , I realized that the humidity in jar was only 51-52 in curing. Even if I used boveda 62%, the humidity was still difficult to come up.
Is there a good way to increase the humidity in the jar to about 60%? ,
Imo youndont want to try to reintroduce moisture to buds... id just seal em up.

Top Bottom