Moisture/water/h20 and bho

• Thread starter BipolarHiRoller
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BipolarHiRoller

Im not a chemist but from my lurking around I notice lots of people around these parts are. I have some concerns when making oil with moisture. It's widely recommend to use hot water in purging but I have my discrepancies. Any scientists or chemists out there have any information to help me form some answers?? Also I'm concerned when I see / hear of people putting their product in the fridge or freezer - I'm almost certain someone can tell me 100 reasons why thats bad for the product right??? Moisture contaminated wax has always been far worse for me then something scraped straight from the dish. Thanks in advance bho chemists!!

B

blueburnsorange

Im not a chemist but from my lurking around I notice lots of people around these parts are. I have some concerns when making oil with moisture. It's widely recommend to use hot water in purging but I have my discrepancies. Any scientists or chemists out there have any information to help me form some answers?? Also I'm concerned when I see / hear of people putting their product in the fridge or freezer - I'm almost certain someone can tell me 100 reasons why thats bad for the product right??? Moisture contaminated wax has always been far worse for me then something scraped straight from the dish. Thanks in advance bho chemists!!

Most of these questions can be fully answered by reading through the forums. If not here, try the oil sections at TokeCity.com

freezing helps dry the product out, not make it moist. it's not bad for the product - you can freeze properly vac-sealed weed for years with no quality loss. People freeze their fresh weed before running it to minimize moisture. It is not recommended to pack an extractor and then freeze it.

Regarding hot water, butane will evaporate at room temperate but not if it's trapped in thick oil. So that hot water helps minimize viscosity in the oil, helping the 'tane rise up and bubble out, at least initially. This has been proven thousands of times over to be effective, I don't see why there is much reason for you to be questioning it now (no offense, I just mean focus on other aspects of BHO creation).

B

BipolarHiRoller

Most of these questions can be fully answered by reading through the forums. If not here, try the oil sections at TokeCity.com

freezing helps dry the product out, not make it moist. it's not bad for the product - you can freeze properly vac-sealed weed for years with no quality loss. People freeze their fresh weed before running it to minimize moisture. It is not recommended to pack an extractor and then freeze it.

Regarding hot water, butane will evaporate at room temperate but not if it's trapped in thick oil. So that hot water helps minimize viscosity in the oil, helping the 'tane rise up and bubble out, at least initially. This has been proven thousands of times over to be effective, I don't see why there is much reason for you to be questioning it now (no offense, I just mean focus on other aspects of BHO creation).

I've read most all the posts here and tc, unfortunately I've read only short descriptions of why its bad to do and visa versa which put these questions in my head to begin with. I usually get an undesirable sizzle with oil that comes out of a fridge/ freezer. Also since I've taken water out of my equation I don't get water contamination even on accident anymore. I keep my dish warm with a heating bad and heating sack but that's it. I am not the carefullest person so I'm sure someof that was my fault accidentally dripping water in the oil.

jump

jump

It is not recommended to pack an extractor and then freeze it.
Why? I'm not sure about tube-type but thermos-extractor loaded and frozen together works perfect.

There is no contact of warm air with frozen surfaces and no condensation.

Water turns to ice while trichs stay outside, cell fats became blocked and extract doesn't catch lipophilic contaminations.

B

blueburnsorange

Why? I'm not sure about tube-type but thermos-extractor loaded and frozen together works perfect.

There is no contact of warm air with frozen surfaces and no condensation.

Water turns to ice while trichs stay outside, cell fats became blocked and extract doesn't catch lipophilic contaminations.

What do you mean by "thermos extractor"? Do you mean like a wide tube vs a skinny tube? I'm referring to tube-type extractors like a Honey Bee or a glass extractor...

It's not the inside of the extractor I'm worried about, it's the outside. Any/all condensation is bad news when you spray and maybe it's just humid around here but after about an hour in my freezer, my glass extractor is going to have condensation not only on the tube but around the filter/screen and that's trouble ... plus it makes the extractor slippery and I don't want to drop it.

jump

jump

What do you mean by "thermos extractor"?
It is another technology of extraction with butane which I like better.

Plant material is frozen in thermos. Chilled butane sprayed into thermos.
Flowers soak-n-stir in butane for around two hours, drained through coffee-filter and evape.

Freezing helps again when I apply winterization in ethanol to clean the primal bho from useless fats and waxes.

B

blueburnsorange

Aaah that sounds really interesting! Is there a video instructional for that process anywhere?

squiggly

squiggly

Were it me, I'd do it this way:

(Jump, feel free to jump in and correct me!)

Spray butane into a pre-frozen/chilled thermos. Place back into freezer, might be a good idea to lightly blow over the top of the thermos before putting it in to try and clear any residual butane from the top (its heavier than air, so not that big of a deal).

Freeze buds at the same time ur chilling the thermos. Once everything is down to its minimum temperature, toss the buds in and lightly agitate them ensuring they're all fulled covered before placing the thermos back into the freezer.

I think jump says to leave em in there about 2 hours was it? I'll defer to his expertise here. Perhaps agitate lightly once every 20 minutes or so.

Strain through a coffee filter and evap. Voila!

jump

jump

(Jump, feel free to jump in and correct me!)
Thank you!
Spray butane into a pre-frozen/chilled thermos. Place back into freezer,

placing the thermos back into the freezer.
I have to correct you.

Butane can be placed in the freezer only in the original container.
Butane poured from the can in any other vessel, even in a thermos,
is potentially a very dangerous object which should not be ever placed in the freezer
and should not even bring it into the room at all.

This is very risky and may lead to very bad consequences with high probability.

Safer scenario I have already recommended earlier.
Load plant material in thermos.
Place can and the loaded thermos with open throat in the freezer.
Let them chilled.
Take them outdoors.
Spray butane into thermos.
Is there a video instructional for that process anywhere?
I haven’t seen such video, only illustrated reports on this process in variations.

here is a pretty good thread on cleaning up your bho

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=168388

squiggly

squiggly

Correction noted.

I had misunderstood your process earlier. I thought this might be a bit dangerous but you mentioned before its low risk as you keep it cold enough to keep vapor pressure down and as butane is heavier than air as is I thought you'd vetted the process.

Makes a ton more sense to me now what you're doing--this was the main reason I questioned safety of the process earlier!

Graywolf

Graywolf

I'm not a chemist, more like a shade tree alchemist or half wit in the mist.

We use a hot tap water bath to boil off the initial butane, but use a deep container so that the butane vapors keeps the moisture floated up and away from the pool.

We freeze plant material to lock the water up as ice, and with it the water soluble chlorophyll binding proteins, and chlorophyll. We only do it for a polar alcohol extraction or for a non polar butane extraction using fresh green material.

When you freeze it, you need to insure that there isn't any standing water on it and it is frozen in an air tight container, or ice will cover the trichomes, making extraction more difficult.

Otherwise, freezing helps preserve the product, as long is it is in an air tight container.

Graywolf

Graywolf

As far as packing a column and then freezing it, that is the way we do it. Tranfering it to a column after it is frozen, can result in some of the trichomes being coated in ice, from atmospheric humidity.

SCFSYNDICATE760

SCFSYNDICATE760

not sure why youre telling him to focus on another part of the tech or just read? obviously hes read some...thats what the forum is for to disseminate info...
thats like one of those dipshit posts where someone asks something and instead of people answering of giving experience, they rail on about how its a bad idea or some other dumb fuckin shit TOTALLY not answering the ops ?..
like no shit the infos out there SOMEWHERE, but the homie asked here...
just answer him if you know, or dont...and move on..but skip the bs about why he should be reading the forum or WHY hes questioning...pshhh lol

ohhhhhh i see...
your from jokecity.....bwahahahaahahaahahaha

yea dude, dont go listen to a buncha fuckin naccs on tokeshitty...
these are the same fools who think "curing" your concentrate is obsolete and about a million other misnomers, bullshit,myths and misinfo...lol

besides to me (and i could be wrong) it sounded like op was asking about placing wax in the freezer, in which case it absolutely can add a layer of condensation on your oil if not sealed...
and then fuck your shit up cuz now u got a layer of moisture on ur patty...
what can helo is folding over your paper so the layer of oil isnt actually exposed to the inside of the freezer....i find this helps..
i dont use a freezer tho, i use a supe pimpy cold plate

(yea just reread og post, DEF talkin about oil in the freezer...and that WILL fuck ur shit up if done wrong, the ONLY reason to use a freezer w oil is if your WINTERIZING or if you simply need to make your oil a lil harder/brittle to work with which only takes a min)

typical response tho for a nacccity head...dont ACTUALLY read the post and understand it
"no your doing it wrong" "dont worry about that" (and tha nigga dont even know wtf the op is ref too....lol)
yea....

Top Bottom