Molasses and liquid synthetic nutes (specifically Fox Farm Trio)

• Thread starter Rockydogg3
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigCube

BigCube

Yes. Tho typically molasses feeds the life in the soil not the plant. It wouldn't hurt at all. The plant may still take up some of the sugars on it's own. But I would think the benefits would be higher if your soil was living.

ninjadip

ninjadip

Be cautious of applying molasses too often. The amount of molasses and frequency of application need to be calibrated.
This is what I'm worried about with small 4 gallon res. I just ordered some GH flora nectar as a sweetener to aid the beneficial microbes I have from something like great white, so my water is kind of alive.

To summarize, I have heard of people using black strap molasses but I'm nervous about using the correct amount, what to watch for, etc.. when this bottle of overpriced sugar, flora nectar $22/qt, is likely more stable and should play well with my other GH products, and will last me two grows on my small scale

ninjadip

ninjadip

Sure but molasses lowers ph so check it after it's well mixed.
Are all black strap molasses the same? Is there one you recommend? I've never used it and am curious

Last edited:
Mechman60

Mechman60

Are all black strap molasses the same? Is there one you recommend? I've never used it and am curious
If you don't need to lower your pH blackstrap is the way to go. I haven't used it for awhile but I know I bought it at Walmart, Granny's or something like that.

T

Titleist

Keep an eye on whether it's been sulfured or not. Granny's is unsulfured, Wholesome has it as well. Unless you need the added sulfur used in the same ratio as the carbs you're trying to add at the exact same time, stay away from sulfured molasses.

T

Titleist

To address the original question there, the molasses provides carbs for the beneficials. Beneficials don't realy thrive in a salt based environment as the plant food has already been broken down.

While the carbs may not be of much benefit, molasses has varying amounts of iron in it which can be used by the plant regardless if the carbs don't help much. Fox farm trio functions properly by it's dosages. Adding in molasses well into the grow may show some poor effects. If you're plants look great now with FF trio, don't be surprised when you add in molasses if you seem some heavy droop or other effects.

Top Bottom