Mold issues last week of flowering. Pesticides? Harvest?

• Thread starter EugeneTheGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
EugeneTheGrower

EugeneTheGrower

Hello, we have mold issues now.
Short description of our grow:
  • greenhouse
  • hydroponics
  • stem cell&lemon kush strains
My observations of why it has started:
  • it all started from dead plants - they were all covered in a mold which further infected other plants
  • only the oldest flowering plants are infected (which has only 1 week before harvest, younger plants at the middle-flower stage are untouched)
  • I see that mold is infecting the following areas:
    • damaged regions of a stem (1 image)
    • where one plant lays on the other
    • I think it is too much to have 4 plants in one Rockwool mat (this white bag), we will put 3 plants per mat next time
    • our greenhouse's roof is leaking. One week ago I've noticed some flowers are wet
My actions:
  • Every day I am cutting the molded parts of the plants
  • I've isolated the plants (video) - moved all the 33 bags (4 plants each) to a nearby greenhouse. Mold continues to develop
  • I will support some of them that tend to lower or lean on the neighboring plants so there is better ventilation
  • I will apply a chemical called Topsin... unwillingly
Questions:
  • there was a situation where our plants were watered with plain water for a week. We are growing in hydroponics Could it be related to the mold issues? Like lowering the immunity or so?
  • I see some flowers are ready to harvest. I plan to work with anti-mold chemicals on them (though unwillingly). How much time should it pass before I can harvest? Any information I should know about using chemicals for cannabis?
  • What could I do with the molded area of the stem? Or just cut below it and there is no other "shortcut"?
  • if I stop watering them could it help to stop the mold?
  • Is there a point to put fans all around them or they will just hasten the spore migration from plant to plant? When I shake a very molded area - I see a lot of spores dusting around.
  • Could mold be developed because our kids are overripened? Some sugar leaves are dry, stigmas are also.
  • Should I harvest ripened plants, those without signs of infections? But if they are infected they will mold during the drying process.
Any help would be appreciated. I would value answers that are not just quick solutions but with some deeper understanding of a topic.
Thanks!

241762948 899411950994918 1586642288212190530 n
241756622 1718770718332682 3390299411893551520 n
241724752 541036073651971 5048450763042322156 n
241828521 843626129631891 6164654235007429150 n
241815952 1073647526710590 2081913528615553235 n
nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

As an outdoor grower who has experienced bud rot (what I see in your pics) I can answer some of your questions.
—Don’t put fans all around because they will spread spores
—Cut below molded part of stem and discard upper molded section.
—Before cutting moldy stems or buds minimize spore spread by misting then cover with plastic bag and cut moldy parts.
—Don’t put chemicals on buds that are ready to harvest as it makes no sense.
—Don’t stop watering plants still maturing…just reduce watering by half.
—Buds that are ready for harvest but have been exposed to mold spores should be harvested, wet trimmed, and dried normally in a room with a dehumidifier and AC if needed. Lowering the humidity should prevent mold growth and allow for proper drying.
Hope this helps.

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

Its posts like these that make the hair on my balls tinkle.

My observations: your busy playing C.S.I. and forgot that your cultivating marijuana.

Your growing area is no different than the Wuhan bio lab.
It needs to be burned to the ground using extreme heat!

All kidding aside, Your grow area is a wasteland, produced by your negligence.

YOUR ISSUE IS NOT MOLD.

The issue is YOU.

The basics of growing were clearly ignored.

Dont even think about taking that flower to market.
As an outdoor grower who has experienced bud rot (what I see in your pics) I can answer some of your questions.
—Before cutting moldy stems or buds minimize spore spread by misting then cover with plastic bag and cut moldy parts.
—Buds that are ready for harvest but have been exposed to mold spores should be harvested, wet trimmed, and dried normally in a room with a dehumidifier and AC if needed. Lowering the humidity should prevent mold growth and allow for proper drying.
Hope this helps.

are you serious?

Last edited:
Reactions: TSD
EugeneTheGrower

EugeneTheGrower

Hope this helps.
I've got rid of mold by spraying infected areas with hydrogen peroxide and cutting off the biggest molded parts.
Thanks for you help!

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
  • greenhouse
  • hydroponics
  • it all started from dead plants - they were all covered in a mold which further infected other plants
  • only the oldest flowering plants are infected (which has only 1 week before harvest, younger plants at the middle-flower stage are untouched)
    • I think it is too much to have 4 plants in one Rockwool mat (this white bag), we will put 3 plants per mat next time
    • our greenhouse's roof is leaking. One week ago I've noticed some flowers are wet
My actions:
  • I've isolated the plants (video) - moved all the 33 bags (4 plants each) to a nearby greenhouse. Mold continues to develop
  • I will support some of them that tend to lower or lean on the neighboring plants so there is better ventilation
Questions:
  • there was a situation where our plants were watered with plain water for a week. We are growing in hydroponics Could it be related to the mold issues? Like lowering the immunity or so?
  • I see some flowers are ready to harvest. I plan to work with anti-mold chemicals on them (though unwillingly). How much time should it pass before I can harvest? Any information I should know about using chemicals for cannabis?
  • What could I do with the molded area of the stem? Or just cut below it and there is no other "shortcut"?
  • Is there a point to put fans all around them or they will just hasten the spore migration from plant to plant? When I shake a very molded area - I see a lot of spores dusting around.
  • Could mold be developed because our kids are overripened? Some sugar leaves are dry, stigmas are also.
  • Should I harvest ripened plants, those without signs of infections? But if they are infected they will mold during the drying process.
Any help would be appreciated. I would value answers that are not just quick solutions but with some deeper understanding of a topic.
Thanks!
That sucks! I'd cut away the mold as above says but I'd wash my buds after harvest with the 3 bucket method, First has peroxide, second bucket lemon and baking soda, 3rd has just cold water. There are you YT vids on it.

TSD

TSD

• greenhouse
  • hydroponics
My actions:
Questions:
Thanks!
I grow outdoors and have found that any time I see bud rot, aka mold, it's pretty much chop or watch your plants slowly die. The second you touch a moldy spot, spores are going everywhere it's only a matter of time before it pops up everywhere. You have to cover the infected spot with a bag and cut the whole bud or branch off as soon as you see a hint of bud rot. Picking spots off willy nilly is just spreading the mold. That one branch that's all mold has spread thousands upon thousands of spores already. I just had to cut one of my prettiest ladies early because we had a stretch of rain and she was too dense to dry out so mold set in. If you do salvage your crop, washing the bud might not be a bad idea, I had to do that last year because aphids set up shop on one plant right before harvest. Good luck.

Ponky

Ponky

You can't really stop bud rot. There is no potential here for anything but sub standard moldy weed.

TSD

TSD

You can't really stop bud rot. There is no potential here for anything but sub standard moldy weed.
I'd definitely rather have early bud over chemical soaked bud, moldy bud or no bud... but I guess those that grow to sell probably have a different outlook.

Ponky

Ponky

I'd definitely rather have early bud over chemical soaked bud, moldy bud or no bud... but I guess those that grow to sell probably have a different outlook.
Powdery mildew is apparent really quick. Open the bag. Quick sniff. And if it had any PM you know it. But yeah. People still sell those loads off cheap. Someone's buying. It's gross.

TSD

TSD

Powdery mildew is apparent really quick. Open the bag. Quick sniff. And if it had any PM you know it. But yeah. People still sell those loads off cheap. Someone's buying. It's gross.
So funny you say that... I just got back from checking my second site and I have freaking powdery mildew happening. I'm go na make a post cause I have never had it in flower and don't know what I should do. Ugh.This has seriously not been my year.

Ponky

Ponky

So funny you say that... I just got back from checking my second site and I have freaking powdery mildew happening. I'm go na make a post cause I have never had it in flower and don't know what I should do. Ugh.This has seriously not been my year.
Well the good thing is you can make extract. And the lighter colored extract comes from weed harvested early. And people like that color.... don't sweat. Make some changes. Get some new genetics and keep going forward. You need to grow your own smoke so you will get it right eventually.

People will tell you to do this and that. And my rule of thumb is if it's 45 days of flower or more and you see those spots, you're trimming. It's over. New strain. Deep clean. Airflow calculations. And new filters. Prevent PM. Don't bother once it's there. Unless you have a massive outdoor garden or something. It's a fight you don't win. For a pack no one wants.

TSD

TSD

Well the good thing is you can make extract. And the lighter colored extract comes from weed harvested early. And people like that color.... don't sweat. Make some changes. Get some new genetics and keep going forward. You need to grow your own smoke so you will get it right eventually.

People will tell you to do this and that. And my rule of thumb is if it's 45 days of flower or more and you see those spots, you're trimming. It's over. New strain. Deep clean. Airflow calculations. And new filters. Prevent PM. Don't bother once it's there. Unless you have a massive outdoor garden or something. It's a fight you don't win. For a pack no one wants.
My stuff is outside yes... I've never had this issue before, but we had a cold rainy week. This is just my personal smoke crop, that's all I do, but this year has been one thing after another... I think it's time to set up a controlled environment.

TSD

TSD

My other plot got pollinated, heavily, so this was my backup plan, so now I'm fucked.... guess I'll grow those free auto seeds in my basement this winter lol.

Ponky

Ponky

Well indoor is a nice little winter hobby. I live where outdoor season is good once every 20 years at best. So only indoor is ever any good anyway. If I get a chance to smoke good outdoor it would be once in a lifetime.

skinnypuppy

skinnypuppy

I've got rid of mold by spraying infected areas with hydrogen peroxide and cutting off the biggest molded parts.
Thanks for you help!
H2O2 should leave no residue when it dries unless there are additives in it. I am experimenting with H2O2 as a prevention (it always rains here in september) So I have been spraying my flowers every day or two. I am not saying anyone should follow this regime but I am sick of bud rot almost every year at this time of year and am too fucking lazy to trim a shit load of popcorn premature buds so I am willing to sacrifice a bit to find a way to fight this. P.S. indoor is not an option at this time!

Last edited:
PauliBhoy

PauliBhoy

I grow outdoors and have found that any time I see bud rot, aka mold, it's pretty much chop or watch your plants slowly die.
Have you tried Oxidate 5.0?
It's basically OP H202
Spraying is no fun but you'll get a lot more than just cutting and running.

TSD

TSD

Have you tried Oxidate 5.0?
It's basically OP H202
Spraying is no fun but you'll get a lot more than just cutting and running.
I have not, I'll keep it in mind if more pops up this year. Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom