Mold on my nugs, well into cure doh!

• Thread starter JH420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JH420

JH420

Well these Strawberry Bubba's were dryed, then re-hydrated, then jarred to cure...open a few times daily for a few minutes for the first couple weeks then once daily the next couple weeks...then for the last week or so, I did not open this jar as I thought the cure was pretty much golden and I was just waiting for a night to get these into my rotation...tonight I open the jar to start samplin these babies and I see a white patch on a nug, snap some pics and enlarge yup it's mold...I have no idea what to do next??

Where did I go wrong? I'll guess on a few areas maybe some pros can help me out...

1) Should have not stopped openning jars/examining the nugs after 4 weeks.

2) Perhaps after re-hydrating them prior to cure, I jarred them too wet.

3) Perhaps leaving that 7g cola intact was a mistake, but too pretty to break up.

I did a multi-strain grow, so all my plants got individual jars...only happened to this one but this jar did go un-openned a little longer than the others...also the jar was less than half full so I thought that should help keep em from getting moldy...a few pics for ya and I'm off to more closely inspect my others...

Mold4
Mold1
Mold2
Mold3
T

TwoCreeks

To me, the part about re-hydrating after they were dry seems a little dicey. Gotta make sure the stems doesnot bend....it needs to crack.

E

edux10

2) Perhaps after re-hydrating them prior to cure, I jarred them too wet.

bingo!! why would you rehydrate your buds after you dry them? do it like this, dry till the stem can snap, throw them into jars, then open the jars ever day if possible. the longer you leave them in the jars the better.... then your golden.

Z

zoeronerer

ye man dont rehydrate ..... bio soy can kill mold on dry weed sen it done ... but you could kook with it

JH420

JH420

Thanks for the replies...I re-hydrated them because they got too dry and crumbly. With regards to drying, I waited til the stems would snap which was too long in my case...next time I go by the feel of the buds not when the stems snap. When I jarred em I just put a peice of lettuce in the jar for about an half hour then removed and started the cure process.

C

chickenn

the lettuce is probably what started your problem. weed can hardly be too dry. it would have moistened up some when it went in the jar by itself, without the lettuce.

i would toss the whole jar in the trash, it's shit now. shit that will kill you if you smoke it.

D

Donk Frog

too evenly dry the bud you must "sweat" it dry, after hanging/screen drying till outside feels crispy but inside is still moist ,loosey bag it for about 8 hours to bring moisture from inside of bud to outside...then rehang /screen ...repeat to desired dryness, then jar for a 3-4 week + cure...never jar weed that is damp
just my 2 cents

Don't smoke it, but don't trash it....take your bud, grind it up, make a batch of BHO...butane will kill mold spores, but make sure to use a small enough filler to make sure no spores getinto your bho:banana1sv6:

JH420

JH420

Thanks guys I don't plan on putting this into the garbage I'll take DF's suggestion and make some BHO.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
when your weed was to dry that is when you jar it and open it a couple of hours later it would feel moist again when the bud releases the water stored deep inside. don't try to rehydrate until cure is done, i personally never rehydrate, why dampen something you will light on fire.a proper flush at the end will stop the need to rehydrate, which just weakens taste, smell, and potency imo.

S

stickybush

after i hang. I throw them in a paper bag for a day a so until the stem snaps then put them in jars. Then open jars daily for around 30 mins and I move my buds around so the bottom can get to the top and the top to the bottom. After a few weeks curing. sticky stinky nugs..

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
Lettuce in the jar was deff the problem here. If have said it once, i have said it a million times- No produce mixed in with your herb! Obviously you now know weed that is "too dry" is better than moldy weed. No fruit and no vegetables in those weed jars people! :)

JayBee

S

swisscheese

I've never had a problem when I mix produce like an orange or apple slice with already dried ganja but the moist part never touches the ganja either. It's one of those trial and error things I suppose. I don't know about putting fruit with re-hydrated ganja though as its basically asking for rot or mold of some sort.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
yeah the lettuce idea was probably passed around from brick-weed days. If i have weed to dry i take a paper towel and fold it up to a 3 inch square wet it and then squeeze it until no water leaks out. i then take this and put it in the center or the bag with the weed all around it. usually for 3-4 hours. then i remove it take the weed and mix it around. let it sit over night. then mic it again in the morning if it feels to damp then i take it out set it on a paper plate for 20 mins then rebag. Best thing to do is to hang weed until the stems are close to snapping but dont snap, i do find you get a better smell when u let the initial dry happen longer tho. if you take it down to wet you will get a generic smell.

JH420

JH420

I've never had a problem when I mix produce like an orange or apple slice with already dried ganja but the moist part never touches the ganja either. It's one of those trial and error things I suppose. I don't know about putting fruit with re-hydrated ganja though as its basically asking for rot or mold of some sort.

I put the (very) dry nugs into a jar, placed a folded paper towel on top of the nugs, then a peice of lettuce on top of the paper towel...I didn't add any fruit once re-hydrated.

I

ImptheGimp

yup looks like you better use it for some butter now. Just think re-hydrating them isnt a natural state. remember keep is simple.

K

Kpezzy

JH, buddy you keep defending the lettuce to all the people telling you that it was a bad idea

E

edux10

get a humidifier (small one) and that can add moisture to died bud, but there is no way you should use that that soon after harvesting and dry, use the humidifier like after the bud has been sitting out bagged for 6 months

oh and dont say shit that isnt proven guys, show me some scientific proof that tane kills mold, no way, it may seperate the thc from any mold as bubble bags do but there will still be mold in the tube.

20north

lalalaaa........ mold is NOT? destroyed by tane that makes no sense at all....... butane is SOOO cold it would vaporize the mold spores going in to the air..... leaving the thc................. and other cannabinoids behind ..

edux your saying i could infect my plants with bho made from moldy buds yes?

peace

it was a great idea to make bho out of the buds man DUU IT :coffee

D

Donk Frog

look 20 north.............. i know from reading your posts in the oil thread and other parts of the site u are anti BHO, why do continually dis oil or anything made with Butane....that is your right not smoke it, however running butane through moldy weed With the proper sized micron filter WILL remove all mold spores Nuff said...i love that u think u "know" so much about butane and mold....as i do mold removal and pest control for living I think I know a thing or two...so stop spreading your "knowegle of Mold , butane" ...u are no expert, u whine to much about butane all over the site.....:anim_10:

V

valiant

if you ever have to rehydrate something,use the peel of citrus fruit,anything sort will do and it wont go moldy it just shrinks, because its mostly moisture,

Top Bottom