Mold

• Thread starter dopeeyes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

dopeeyes

I hav 2 white rhino in my greenhouse at the minute there goin great apart from a small bit of mold starting 2 form is there any product i can buy or anything i can do 2 prevent it getting worse

H

herby

Hey dope, I dont know the name of the product but I know there is a silicone bases product that is safe to use. I have seen it mentioned elsewhere. Sorry cant be of more help but maybe if you contact a garden supply place they can point you in the right direction.

E

esben

im trying the product "amistar" this season. should prevent different kinds of mold.

D

dopeeyes

Cheers men 4 the advise.Regarding the "amistar" can this b used at any stage or does it hav 2 b put in from the start cos the rhino hav started 2 flower

D

dopeeyes

Cheers herbalizor just wat i needed only back from my local grow shop and they r all out of that stuff.Cheers 4 the link

H

hanuman

I read somewhere that bud rot stop damaged the buds ... dont remember where though.

h

M

moggggys

milk dilute or baking soda , ill give you a guide if interested , theres a few types of mold but the common ones powdery mildew , it will need sorting as it will choke the plant by stopping it transpireing or breathing

much better to address at the same time the whys , get some airflow through there as a matter of importance , if the spores are allowed to settle you could have a massive problem , if you can get a fan in there asap be it plugged in or a solar if you can

E

esben

http://www.syngenta.com/en/products...istar_page.html

Quote:
Amistar fungicide available from Syngenta Amistar, available from Syngenta , contains azoxystrobin, a member of the strobilurin class of fungicides (Group K), which has an ideal mode of action that inhibits mitochondrial respiration of fungi. Azoxystrobin demonstrates good uptake and redistribution properties within the plant. The active ingredient is steadily absorbed into the leaf, ensuring some active ingredient remains on the leaf surface to combat infection by incoming fungal spores. Uptake can be enhanced if the foliar surface is rewetted, for example, following dew or rainfall. Once absorbed, azoxystrobin diffuses through the leaf to reach the vascular tissue and is then acropetally transported within the leaf through the xylem. This results in an even distribution of the active ingredient throughout the leaf and thus, protection from fungal pathogens. Azoxystrobin also demonstrates some translaminar activity. Key fungal diseases Stem End Rot (Dothiorella spp. and Lasiodiplodia theobromae) and Anthracnose (Colletotrichum gloeosporioides) cause serious post-harvest fruit losses in mangoes. Australian field trials have confirmed that fungicide programmes incorporating Amistar provide good control of Stem End Rot and Anthracnose compared with standard programmes. In most cases, the use of Amistar will result in higher levels of marketable fruit. Australian research also confirmed that Amistar significantly improves pack-out performance in mangoes. This trial was conducted in 2002 in a crop of Kensington Pride mangoes in Mareeba, Queensland. The Amistar programme consisted of Dithane, then Octave, then Amistar (80 mL/100L) at early fruit set, then Kocide (200 g/100 L) and then two applications of Amistar (80 mL/100L) before harvest.

D

dopeeyes

Hey mogggys wats the story wif the baking soda do u mix it in2 the feed or do u put it directly on 2 the infected area ? theres only 2 tiny patches half way up the main stem of both plants but it hasnt got any worse over the past week

M

moggggys

has esban lent on his keyboard again , anything after the work quote and im scratching my balls looking like a fish

ok milk for you , stick it in a sprayer at aprox 10-20% milk to water , follage spray then ignore for 5 minutes , after this rinse off , cover your soil beforehand as it wont do the soil any favours , do not allow to sit for longer than 10 minutes as it will destroy all your leaves

baking soda , approx 4 teaspoons per litre ( 20 mill ) follaged sprayed , once agin cover the soil before spraying or flush the shit out of it after wards , once agaain 5 minutes before follage spraying to rinse off , word of warning , it does an excellent job of killing powdery mildew and a brilliant job of killing every dam sickly leaf or hair on the plant , in flower it will kill off every hair which fucks up the crop , milk is alot more gentle but needs a couple of applications to be sure , to me this is way better , it will also not damage the plant at all where baking P strips the outer layer off leaves ,,,, so as a rule if you have a heavy infestation hit it with the soda but if its a little bit of a couple of leaves then milks your new best friend

R

RedSky

Got Mildew? Get Milk!

Less than 3 years ago, researchers in South America discovered a new alternative to controlling powdery mildew. Wagner Bettiol, a scientist from Brazil, found that weekly sprays of milk controlled powdery mildew in zucchini just as effectively as synthetic fungicides such as fenarimol or benomyl. Not only was milk found to be effective at controlling the disease, it also acted as a foliar fertilizer, boosting the plant's immune system.

Powdery mildew in the cucurbit family is caused by the organism Sphaerotheca fuliginea. It is a serious disease that occurs worldwide. For decades, organic gardeners had to rely on making a spray from baking soda to control the disease. Now, instead of measuring out the baking soda and combining it with a surfactant (a "sticking" substance) of either oil or soap, gardeners need only head for their refrigerators.

In his experiments with zucchini plants, Bettiol found that a weekly spray of milk at a concentration of at least 10% (1 part milk to 9 parts water) significantly reduced the severity of powdery mildew infection on the plants by 90%. While some gardeners may be tempted to increase the concentration of milk for more control, Bettiol found that once concentrations rose above 30%, an innoccuous fungus began to grow on the plants.

How does milk control powdery mildew?

Scientist aren't 100% sure how milk works to control this disease. It seems that milk is a natural germicide. In addition, it contains several naturally occurring salts and amino acids that are taken up by the plant. From previous experiments using sodium bicarbonate, potassium phosphate, and other salts, researchers have found that the disease is sensitive to these salts. It is possible then, that milk boosts the plant's immune system to prevent the disease.

Milk used around the world

The benefits of using milk to control powdery mildew haven't been isolated to Brazil. Melon growers in New Zealand are saving thousands of dollars every year by spraying their crops with milk instead of synthetic fungicides. The melon growers in New Zealand have been so successful that the wine industry is taking notice and beginning experiments using milk to control powdery mildew in grapes.

What kind of milk should be used?

In Bettiol's original experiment, fresh milk was used, straight from the cow. However, this is obviously not feasible to most home gardeners. The research work in New Zealand actually found that using skim milk was just as effective. Not only was it cheaper, but the fact that the milk had no fat content meant that there was less chance of any odours.

Wagner Bettiol's original article was published in the journal Crop Science (Vol. 18, 1999, pp. 489-92). It can be found on-line at:

© Copyright Arzeena Hamir
Arzeena is an agronomist and garden writer with Organic Living Newsletter.

:coolPeace

V

village green

if it does all turn to mould you can still put it to make water hash, not all is lost...

Top Bottom