Molded Soil

• Thread starter Newbie2019
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Newbie2019

Newbie2019

Guys I think I screwed up. I mixed my soil to transplant into next week I left it in a tote and now I have mold on top. Am I done is this batch trash? FFOF Vermiculite, worm casting, DL, Epsom Salt, chicken manure and high yield is the mix.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Stir that mold in and let it cook. If your going for a living soil you’ve got alive. That mold will not hurt anything you plant in it. Good luck.
Google the manufacturer's fine print and they'll talk about the mold as beneficial and not to worry. Unless you've been letting your soil sit wet in the dark for weeks growing white moldy hairs the yellowish mold okay

Homesteader

Homesteader

The soil hyphae is present in living soil and interacts with roots and soil nutrients. Sometimes it is different colors based on the source of starches present but most of the time it is white and looks like webbing.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
The soil hyphae is present in living soil and interacts with roots and soil nutrients. Sometimes it is different colors based on the source of starches present but most of the time it is white and looks like webbing.
I seem to get yellowish nodules like lichen on the surface when the soil is fresh/ new. It disappears after a few feed and watering cycles. I use a cheap noname brand of a Promix look alike but everything grows well in it.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Yellow is also quite common to find. If you throw in a handful of rice into your soil and you will get red hyphae while oats will give you yellow.
Here is a decent link about the role of the fungus.

Newbie2019

Newbie2019

Damn I lightly sprayed it with apple cider vinegar. I shouldn’t have done that huh.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Why are you adding all that stuff to ur mix? People think that mix is hot, it's not bc i have been growing autos in it for 9 years with zero problems, all i add is pearlite for airation, i hope it works out for you but in my opinion the mix is fine from the bag, adding a bunch of stuff to the point mold is growing in your mix does not sound good, at the very least i would check the ph. Good luck!

Newbie2019

Newbie2019

Because I am doing a water only grow. What I have read is you want several different types of organic material as they break down differently. They are thriving in this mix this is just the new batch to report into 7 gal.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Because I am doing a water only grow. What I have read is you want several different types of organic material as they break down differently. They are thriving in this mix this is just the new batch to report into 7 gal.
You can run into a good amount of problems (lockout) that are very hard to fix by adding amendments to already amended soil but if it is working then you didn't add too much.
Let the plant talk to you through its appearance before trying to add anymore in my opinion.

Top Bottom