Money Saving Alternatives To The Expensive Crap Out There

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Seraphine gave me the idea for this thread.

Let's see or hear your DIY alternatives to the expensive crap out there. Today, I'm building a humidifier out of stuff I had laying around, and a replacement wick filter.

Money saving alternatives to the expensive crap out there

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I stuck a seedling heat mat under it to keep the resivoir warm, and It works awesome. In 5 hours its used just over 1/2 litre of water and raised the RH range in my flower room from 32-39% to 40-50%. Just what I need to combat this unusual freezing cold and dry weather to keep the stomta open. My space is about 600cubic feet FWIW.

seeing as I had everything but the wick already, this cost me about $15. If you had to buy the fan too, under 40. But at that point I'd probably just buy one.

Last edited:
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Here’s a humidity controller you can connect it to:

It’s $39 and will turn it on and off as the humidity raises and lowers. Helps keep you within range so you don’t have to do it manually.

Kudos on the write up. I like it :-)

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Here’s a humidity controller you can connect it to:

It’s $39 and will turn it on and off as the humidity raises and lowers. Helps keep you within range so you don’t have to do it manually.

Kudos on the write up. I like it :)

Nice, I'm a huge fan of inkbird tech. I use the ITC-308 for my temp controller in the flower room. I just plug my exhaust fan into the cooling side plug, and I also use one for my beer fermenting fridge. This humidity controller is something on my list of things to get for sure.

Though not sure I'll need it. My Huey ran for 12 hrs last night and used all but 200 ml in the 2L pop bottle, and the humidity never went over max 50%.
Humidity in Veg isnt an issue because I use so much less light. Nevertheless... I want the inkbird because I love gadgets lol

Seraphine

Seraphine

Wish I could add to this but I can’t macgyver things up like that. I am sloooowy working on a DIY quantum light build. I’ve cut the aluminum frame but need to drill holes and connect everything...

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Wish I could add to this but I can’t macgyver things up like that. I am sloooowy working on a DIY quantum light build. I’ve cut the aluminum frame but need to drill holes and connect everything...

Nice, that is DIY. And hey, I've had a lot of time to practice playing macgyver. I manage a rural remote golf club and most of my repair parts come from a boneyard of scrap stuff. In the last 10 years I've probably built more things than I've bought lol.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

The Jewels

The Jewels

Check out my shantytown threshold !
I will put up something really nasty, then other folks wont be shy to flash their genius a little bit.

I cordoned off an empty area in my basement to build the garden. 6 feet wide and 12 feet long .
Only after vegging I realized I would need a dark flower room . I needed a solution .
I destest stooping, ducking, crouching, cramming and squishing.
There is one thing I cannot tolerate and it is having anything under foot. I start tripping on stuff and I lose my mind. Cords, pipes, ducting, dirty laundry,,, just can't do it, man
,,,even small animals, I feel like kicking out of my way .
I honestly do not know how you guys work in tents. I can not abide.
I needed a door .
I set aside a zero budget for the project.
I used a wooden futon bench seat; it came complete with hardware .There is a nylon shoulder spacer on each end. I just had to drill out a hole , to receive them on the top and bottom.
20190110 082830
I framed in the other side of the jam with scrap wood, covered it with house wrap and insulated it with black plastic and cardboard .
20190109 195047

Definitely functional.
Definitely hard to look at.
If you think the photos are making it look bad,, it's actually worse in real life.

Bang plumb and 1 finger operation . Pitch black and good to go .
Wanna see the Jewels ?
Just open the door.
20190109 195143

PS
There is a (repurposed) full size refrigerator door in that photo.
Alas, you would need to be Rag & Bone level Four, to even see it.

Top Bottom