More of a tip than a question!

• Thread starter Nectarivorous
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

Hi all. So I snapped my first top three nights ago. I was devastated but had realised I would probably learn the breaking point of these girls by finding it at some point.

I would say it was 80-90% snapped, basically lying flopped flat on the fan below. It took me 30 seconds to get inside and get plumber's tape and sticky tape. By the time I got back one leaf was badly shriveled and damaged. Haven't seen anyone using plumber's tape but the irrigation contractor in me kicked in and I reached straight for it.

The white stuff is stringy crap that is too fine but the pink is just right. Most posts I've seen about repairing splits talk about electrical tape and the downside of adhering glue to your plant. Plumber's tape (thread tape/dope tape if you prefer) sticks to itself and is designed precisely to prevent liquid leaks from small gaps. By wrapping the split with this first, then using sticky tape over that to hold and anchor it to the remnant of the old top, it has kept the split sealed and supplying the top.

It's only been 72 hours. I cut the leaf off that had lost 3 fans to bad damage when the break happened. But not one other part of that leaf had damaged the next day when I cut it. The other leaf is in perfect health, and the shoot has not even slowed down let alone stopped growing. I'm actually annoyed I can't tie it down because it's totally reaching for the light again and out shooting its sisters which is crazy.

I take nothing for granted, if I'm not very careful with it I could still lose it but it's a cool save if I keep it. All I can say from my very limited experience of one bad break, reach for pink thread tape. Use your sticky tape over that. You'll get a much better seal for water/nutes and won't have anything actually 'stuck' to the plant. Sorry if I'm the noob who thinks he's discovered something, just haven't seen anyone else recommend on the threads I've seen about breaks. Check pics. 72 hours after almost comprehensive snap.

More of a tip than a question
More of a tip than a question 2
More of a tip than a question 3
More of a tip than a question 4
More of a tip than a question 5
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Cannabis heals very rapidly. We break a branch maybe one every other grow. It happens.
Normally, we just fit it together and wrap it in pipe cleaners to hold it. 3 days later, its fully healed and the pc's come off.

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

Cannabis heals very rapidly. We break a branch maybe one every other grow. It happens.
Normally, we just fit it together and wrap it in pipe cleaners to hold it. 3 days later, its fully healed and the pc's come off.
Thanks man that's a good tip. Obviously I don't want to leave that on there forever, but just did the first thing that came to mind. Will get some pipe cleaners though. I just think having that bit of plumbing tape has helped seal it a bit, and at the end of the day whatever works right!

Good to know 72 hours to mend from what you're saying, probably not miles away from being able to unwrap this then.

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

Yeah nice. The sugar in there is probably useful too. I think with how quickly the leaf was wilting and being the first time I'd broken something I just wanted to get it wrapped. Still not ready to take the wrap off after three days. The shoot is definitely a little slower than its sister might wait for it to get back to speed first.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Yeah nice. The sugar in there is probably useful too. I think with how quickly the leaf was wilting and being the first time I'd broken something I just wanted to get it wrapped. Still not ready to take the wrap off after three days. The shoot is definitely a little slower than its sister might wait for it to get back to speed first.
Give it another day or two.

Top Bottom