More Than Enough To Be Dangerous...

• Thread starter Pain Releaf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Pain Releaf

Hey all!

Excited to become a part of the community here! I'm a completely new grower.

Although I am not sure I actually know enough yet to be dangerous, what I do know is that what I *think I know* is definitely enough to be dangerous! Knowing that I figured it was about time to stop lurking here, engage with the crew and get some real input. :)

So a bit of background: for up to few decades I have dealt with a whole gamut of health concerns including severe cluster headaches, intractable back/neck pain, neuropathic pain, PTSD, etc., etc. Then recently was also hit a neurological disorder. Yeay team... sometimes I thing I should be yelling, "Bingo!", "Yahtzee!" or something, lol.

After over 2 decades of near continuous opiate prescriptions, even Fentanyl was not having significant impact. So finally I decided to try cannabis out of sheer desperation. The first time or two I got hit with bad paranoia and figured it wasn't for me. But as the doctors increasing couldn't provide effective answers I tried again, and then again. And after a few more tries, and testing how it impacted me consuming it other ways than smoking, lo and behold, I am now finding **really significant relief** with Cannabis, not just for the pain but for numerous different issues! This green gold is amazing. And to think; here I'd avoided using pot all these years (last had tried it as a teen) due to the stigma, but the whole time I was ignoring a more effective, more healthy medication I could have been using for my bona fide medical needs.

Anyway, though I am still seeking that perfect strain for me, I've been finding some very effective relief through making my own edibles, vaping, etc. and through the use of infused massage lotion (haven't really enjoyed smoking it traditionally.)
It's just been doing wonders.

So now I've decided to grow my own as I have always found doing such things myself was more fun. It's how I've approached other things I've taken on like my hobbies. To me, it's just more fun when you can use something you made yourself. Plus growing will give me more control over what I'm consuming and be more cost effective too. My first grow is now several weeks old; in the next several days I'll set up a grow diary. (Right now I'm feverishly trying to finish the grow room remodel without killing my plants in the process... And right off the bat I'm going to reeeaaaalllllllyyyy urgently need to get inside of the head of Events and a number of others here to get some fast lights pointers. I thought I'd settled on LEDs, but have now tested (and rejected) about a dozen low or low-middle end priced LEDs. Being on a fairly tight budget, I'm really looking forward to figuring out how other's like me have solved that dilemma!!)

Back to the point, lol: given it's importance to my health I'm eagerly looking forward to hearing lots and lots of pointers from the group here. And at the same time I really do hope I can help some others along the way with some ideas of my own.

Everybody helping everybody, as best as they are able!

All the best, friendly farmers,

Pain Re-leaf

Dan789

Dan789

Welcome “Pain”, glad you’re ve been able to remove the dependence on opiates, don’t have any experience with Fentanyl but not good Press, so congrats on your escape.

Lights are one of the most personal of decisions for a grower. My suggestion would be to start reading some of the grow diaries, most will tell you what lights were used. Also lights are just one side of the puzzle regarding growing. You have to have sound gardening techniques with anything, without that the best most expensive lights wont deliver a good harvest.

Ceveres

Ceveres

Welcome! Glad you have found relief thru cannabis. Opiates are not a fun life to live, know that personally. Seriously happy so many people are starting to have access to clean meds.

Personally I've never used LEDs. The allure is there for obvious reasons like low energy cost. I just don't think buying an LED set up is the way to go. Check out some of the COB lighting thru the search function. There are some awesome DIYs and people like @sixstring are extremely knowledgeable in that area.

I use CMH (ceramic metal halide) or 315 LEC (light emitting ceramic - same thing). Very cost effective to run, doesn't have the high price tag, and has been trusted in commercial agriculture for years. Just only becoming popular in rec grows. @DemonTrich is my go to guy on them.

Best of luck, there are a trillion ways to grow, make it your own.

Peace :smoking:

P

Pain Releaf

Thanks all, I really appreciate the warm welcome and encouragement. So I wasn't sure where to start a grow log, but if it's ok here then great.

I'll do my best to provide all the info I have for now, feel free to discard whatever is irrelevant as at present I'm not the best judge of what might be relevant or not :)

I'll break my (really long) list of info into separate replies to make it easier for folks to provide input on individual topics.

P

Pain Releaf

Sounds like you're on the right track! Here's a link for grow diaries https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/forums/grow-diaries.54/
Or if you ask a mod nicely they might move this into that forum. That's what @EventHorizan did for me bc my introduction thread ran a little long hehe
Perfect, thanks. I'll just delete these and start a new one over there with them.
Thanks, Ceveres!

- Correction - looks like it's not letting me delete these, so I'll ask Events to nix them as they'll just end up being dupes of the ones over at my grow log at:

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/first-grow-and-looking-for-input.92837/

Last edited:
Dunge

Dunge

In the years I have been enjoying grow logs on Thcfarmer, I have never received such a through briefing.

I encourage you to take advantage of your local sources. Used ducted HPS lights sound great, and you may not need to duct them. Hang them, and see where the room comes in. You will probably want a vent to outside, which will provide all the CO2 that is in the atmosphere.

I also agree that soil growing would be a good start, and then I'd delay the DWC plans. That's just me, but I love the dirt, and see no reason why you need the advanced productivity and headaches of hydro.

Only thing missing are pics. See "upload a file" button.

P

Pain Releaf

In the years I have been enjoying grow logs on Thcfarmer, I have never received such a through briefing.

I encourage you to take advantage of your local sources. Used ducted HPS lights sound great, and you may not need to duct them. Hang them, and see where the room comes in. You will probably want a vent to outside, which will provide all the CO2 that is in the atmosphere.

I also agree that soil growing would be a good start, and then I'd delay the DWC plans. That's just me, but I love the dirt, and see no reason why you need the advanced productivity and headaches of hydro.

Only thing missing are pics. See "upload a file" button.
Hey, yeah, Dunge - I can be a bit long-winded. I just figure the quality of the assistance a person gets is often determined party by the quality of info you gave folks to work with. Appreciate the pointers!

The new grow log thread is at:
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/first-grow-and-looking-for-input.92837/

I'll definitely get to uploading some pictures up there once I get my gear put back up and things sorted out in the grow room. Right now it's a mess as I still have a bit to go to finish the floor, etc. See y'all in the Grow Log and thanks again for the warm reception for a new guy on the block.

Top Bottom