Most successful way to take biggest clones possible for DWC?

• Thread starter Thegreywizard
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Thegreywizard

Thegreywizard

So I have a couple of plants in DWC that are getting pretty big and I really need to take some more clones so I can have a full run.

I currently have 2 plants about 3' tall and I need to take 6 more of the biggest clones I can to fill up my 8 plant DWC setup.

I'd like to take the biggest ones I can so they can catch up to the other 2 and I can flip to flower ASAP.

How big can I go with them still being able to take hold and not struggle?

I was thinking I would go right into 1.5" rockwool cubes so they transplant to DWC easy enough when they root.

Dome or no dome? Adding one will help them catch better and faster early on won't they?

I really don't want them to struggle so they can root ASAP and I can flip to flower in 3-4 weeks.

I was thinking since I'm trying to take the largest clones possible, they may not fit under a regular dome, so I was just thinking of covering them with a clear/frosted trash bag.

Thegreywizard

Thegreywizard

Ok so bigger the clones the better, I want to go 8-12" if I can. I'm already way behind because they struggled for a month or two as I got things dialed in. But now they're flourishing.

What about doing something to the bottom of the stem?

If I'm going to use a cloning machine, does scrapping the bark down on the bottom 1-2" or cutting the bottom of the stem an inch to split it really help promote root growth?

I've never done that before, but willing to try those techniques now to get faster rooting.

If I plan on just going right into rockwool cubes, I would use Clone X gel.

What about a dome or trash bag to help lock the humidity in?

This is usually a faster way to get them to catch and start rooting isn't it?

Ponky

Ponky

12" is too much. 8" in bubble cloner is the biggest that I get to work. 45 the stem. That's about it.

Thegreywizard

Thegreywizard

Ok. How many nodes and leaves to you keep on an 8"?

I know a lot of people suggest to cut down the any fan leaves down the stem and trim the main leaves back to help it not require so much energy.

Ponky

Ponky

Ok. How many nodes and leaves to you keep on an 8"?

I know a lot of people suggest to cut down the any fan leaves down the stem and trim the main leaves back to help it not require so much energy.
I grab a cut at the just above the 4th node. Then I strip of the node above that. And leave 2 intact nodes for the clone. Then if the stalk is very stiff after i give it a little snip to split it another 3 mm. If all goes well it drop lots of little white hairs. And by week 3 it should have some nice thick white roots too.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I take like 3" clones so can't add much but one thing I want to try is splitting a peat pellet or rapid rooter and slipping it over the stem misting as needed to keep moist but not wet.

Plant can continue to photosynthesize and grow while the roots will start at that area due to high moisture.

Someone brought it up here and I'm thinking g you could take some big ass clones like that.

Not something I have tried yet.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I take like 3" clones so can't add much but one thing I want to try is splitting a peat pellet or rapid rooter and slipping it over the stem misting as needed to keep moist but not wet.

Plant can continue to photosynthesize and grow while the roots will start at that area due to high moisture.

Someone brought it up here and I'm thinking g you could take some big ass clones like that.

Not something I have tried yet.
These are what I'm using for starting my clones, had the exact same thought about securing one on a branch and keeping it moist until roots showed. Be easier to use these instead of cutting up peat pellets or rapid rooters imo.

Ponky

Ponky

Screenshot 20211014 104826 Gallery
This is as large as my clones get when transplanted. That's a decent clone but it didn't make the cut. Spent it's life being fed pesticide and high doses of random fertilizer. It's still alive as a houseplant. (Freshly planted from clone tub)

Thegreywizard

Thegreywizard

It's where you put some kind of rooting media midway on a branch of a plant and keep it moist until roots show. It's a common technique for propagating various kinds of plants. Once roots show, you cut the branch below the roots and you've a clone of the parent plant.
Interesting, I've never heard of this process. Seems it would be pretty fool-proof for getting them to root.

Beazy

Beazy

Give it a shot and let us know how it goes. I had great success with it but don’t really need big clones, but I’d say that’s definitely your best route for big clones. Good luck !!

Top Bottom