Mother plants? What size pots?

• Thread starter NoLegLenny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NoLegLenny

NoLegLenny

Hey everyone, thanks for chiming in if you decide to.

Was wondering if I could grow mother plants in coco coir just fine? What size pots if so? I know coco doesn't do as well in higher pot sizes but I'm also worried about my mother plant getting root bound fairly quickly. Do I have to prune roots if I decide to do coco and transplant to bigger pot?

2Bad

2Bad

Hey everyone, thanks for chiming in if you decide to.

Was wondering if I could grow mother plants in coco coir just fine? What size pots if so? I know coco doesn't do as well in higher pot sizes but I'm also worried about my mother plant getting root bound fairly quickly. Do I have to prune roots if I decide to do coco and transplant to bigger pot?
coco does fine in large pot sizes.. just got to pot up 3 seperate times

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

For me it always depended how often I'd change mother plants. I'd usually go 10 weeks, or so. A 2.5 gallon pot with a 6 inch rockwool block souronded by rockwool crutons (mesh bottom/feed to waste) did the trick

NoLegLenny

NoLegLenny

For me it always depended how often I'd change mother plants. I'd usually go 10 weeks, or so. A 2.5 gallon pot with a 6 inch rockwool block souronded by rockwool crutons (mesh bottom/feed to waste) did the trick
You only keep mothers for 10 weeks or so? I thought the purpose of them was to keep the genetics around and that they would last a year or more, what’s your school of thought behind your process if you don’t mind me asking? I’m sure there’s a method to your madness lol I’m just too smooth brained to derive it I guess.

NoLegLenny

NoLegLenny

coco does fine in large pot sizes.. just got to pot up 3 seperate times
I’ve always heard it preached here not to go above 2 gallon pots for coco grows, to insure the substrate is fully saturated and that you can get runoff. I just don’t want to run into any salt problems in the bigger pots keeping a mother for a year.

Will most likely just go full hydro for the mothers. Gonna have three of em under 2 4x4 lights to fill out 750 square feet of flower. Someone let me know if anything I said sounds unrealistic though 😂. I’m here to learn and hopefully find any mistakes I would have made before making them.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

A mother should be kept in soil at a bare minimum of veg mode. You just add a bit of soil from time to time and water correctly.
A mother can last for years if cared for properly.

Enforcer

Enforcer

My moms are in soil and my veg and flower runs are in DTW coco. The moms are in 2 or 3 gal pots until they get too big, then they get reset.

ILLGE4E

ILLGE4E

I’ve always heard it preached here not to go above 2 gallon pots for coco grows, to insure the substrate is fully saturated and that you can get runoff. I just don’t want to run into any salt problems in the bigger pots keeping a mother for a year.

Will most likely just go full hydro for the mothers. Gonna have three of em under 2 4x4 lights to fill out 750 square feet of flower. Someone let me know if anything I said sounds unrealistic though 😂. I’m here to learn and hopefully find any mistakes I would have made before making them.
Ive had great results with 10 gallon grow bags of coco.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

You only keep mothers for 10 weeks or so? I thought the purpose of them was to keep the genetics around and that they would last a year or more, what’s your school of thought behind your process if you don’t mind me asking? I’m sure there’s a method to your madness lol I’m just too smooth brained to derive it I guess.
Yes, that is the purpose. Id start with the best looking 2, or 3 clones...
I never kept a mother more than 10 weeks (usually less), as the growth would become more stiff/woody in time. Not choice for taking clones.
I'd keep 2-3 mothers of each strain, and run 2 strains per flower room. I harvested every 4-5 weeks.
If 1/2 the room needed 150 plants, I'd pull 300, keep the 1st to root (usually the best), and give away, or sell the rest.
I had to be ready every 4-5 weeks to pull all those clones, and I was never short.
Here's a few examples of clones ready to begin a 2 week veg before nuking em.
Healthy clones are critical to keeping schedule, and a happy harvest.
I believe these were just a tray, as I was testing a cross.
The plant there is about 10 days before taking clones, but in coco. I'm a bit medicated, so if that didn't make sense, I'll try again in a bit lol.
Notice the clones develop new growth while shooting roots. I don't really like taking clones, but my system is pretty good. Oh, forget the gels..Dip n Grow has far more of the hirmines, only 10-15 bucks, and makes tons of clones
20180110 183956
20180110 184040
20180110 214815

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

I've never kept a mother in soil. My clones look great, root fast, and that way has never failed me. Besides Di n Grow, I also feed bloom nutes the 2 feedings prior.
I have kept clones longer, but they're a pain to work with. I like the stems hellow (not woody hollow), but 1/2 hour after I feed you can actually see the stems sucking up food. I don't cut under water...
I guess I do a few things differently. It's worked for me for a long time. I wasn't trying to tell anyone what to do, I was just stating what I do.
I also keep the humidity lower than most, as you don't want 600 clones, and pythium around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom