Mother Plants

• Thread starter ffsta
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

ffsta

I have two Mother plants. Bubble Kush and Mazar.
These are growing in soil. The rest of my plants are grown using hydroponics.
Can I use the same fertilizers in both?
Do I need to change the soil from time to time.
The plants are very full and I just topped them because they were over three feet tall.
Thanks
ffsta

purpleberry

purpleberry

What i do with my mothers is after they get big and need water every day I will take a knife and cut the root ball down and re pot it up in the same pot, at the same time i prune for clones. At this point Ill start a new mother some times, and kill the over grown one. Im tight on space.

J

jdubz206

it depends on the fertilizer...some work in both hydro and soil but some are specific for one of the two...what nutes are you using?

you will need to change the soil from time to time...give them a root pruning and haircut when they start to get rootbound...i used to keep moms in big containers but i never needed such a big mother plant...now i keep my moms bonzai style in 6" square pots...when they start getting rootbound, i give em a good pruning, add some new soil to the container and the cycle repeats itself. i can easily take 20 clones off one of these moms every week or two but i never need to so i just keep em trimmed and neat :) i save the big room for the plants i'm about to flower...

again, i just started doing this myself in the last few months so if anyone thinks my method is not good, please let me know. i'm always open for advice and tips. thanks!

hope this helps ffsta! peace. j

CheechWizard

CheechWizard

I have a similar strategy as jdubz206. I've been keeping my moms roots pruned with smart pots. They're mesh pots that let the air prune the roots so I don't need to trim the root balls. Is anyone else using smart pots for bonsai?

W

WCC

It should say on the packaging what medium it's intended/or can be used with... ;)

J

jdubz206

you can use those nutes in soil or hydro but in soil you will need to water a little heavier or flush every once in a while to remove the salt buildup...the sensi grow and bloom are more along the lines of something i'd consider a hydro nutrient though...if you're in soil, i'd recommend switching to iguana juice grow & bloom...i tried a bunch of other nute lines and AN's iguana juice is my favorite hands down.

F

ffsta

I bought the Mothers in soil. My next mothers will be grown with hydroponics. I am going to let the mothers grow to full size, because when I cut 20 clones, I found a few flowers popping out.
I will give the Iguana a try.
Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom