Mother semi-flowering in veg

• Thread starter lunchbox421
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

lunchbox421

Hello,

I'm experiencing some strange behavior from 2 strains in my mother room and was hoping someone might have some feedback/advice.

In my mother room I have 2 strains, that for the past 3-4 months, growth has slowed (but not stopped) and every internode has a few pistils and hairs. There is also resin production. It seems like preflowers but a little more pronounced and completely showing at every node from top to bottom. They are not auto-flowering strains (White Wid and Og K) and they are under t5s 24/7. There is no timer involved so I know the lights are always on. This also happened to a 707 HB I had but all the other strains I have are fine and vegging out nicely as they should.

I would have liked to been able to take some cuts for my next batch but lateral growth is very stunted as well. I looked into Dutch Master's Reverse but it seems as if it intended more for preventing male flowers in hermi from growing during the flowering stage and stop seed production. If it affected female flowers then everywhere it has been sprayed it would produce 0 flowers, male or female.

Any ideas as to what maybe causing this or how to fix it? It's been annoying me for some time now and I can't figure it out. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

g

L

lunchbox421

Nope. I thought that maybe it too, maybe stress from rootbound but when I transplanted it wasn't rootbound and I went ahead repotted into smartpots just to be safe.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I would still be leaning toward being root-bound. When you transplanted, did you cut the rootball back at all?

You can also try using a staggered photoperiod to interrupt what sounds like an attempt to go into flower. Interrupt the dark with 1-2hrs of light, see if that stops her.

L

lunchbox421

Before transplanting into 5g smart pots I had them in 3g bags. I did cut the outer perimeter of the root ball but only slightly, they weren't root bound yet but on their way.

I was thinking of trying the same thing. Put them into flower for 2-3 weeks and then drop them back into veg. I have some cuts I took from a couple flowering ladies about a month ago, they've already rooted and just getting past the weird leaf phase (very little serrations and funny curl/twist), and they are taking off none the less. So I'll have to give that a try next.

Couldn't putting them in 12/12 and turning the lights on for 1-2hrs stress them out too much? Any idea if a plant goes herm, does it stay herm? Is it a change in their dna or just a variance that causes them to do this to survive when stressed? Thanks for your help :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Not 12/12, something more like a 14on, then interrupt the dark period. It's what I use for all my cuts & moms, vegging plants, so I can put them outside. Does not stress, but once they become rootbound they will flower and something has to be done about that, it's just not a static situation.

They grow funky, and then something happens and they go, "Aaahhhh..." and just start growing like a normal plant. I don't know why, it just happens.

L

lunchbox421

Thanks Seamaiden :) I'm going to give that a shot. Hopefully it'll snap them out of their funky and get them lush once again. I'll keep you posted on the progress. Thanks again and be safe!!

g

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oh! I forgot to mention, when you transplant, even if they're not root-bound, it really helps them take off if you give pull the roots outward, so they can be laid directly onto/into the new soil. It helps them regain themselves and find the good new stuff that you want them to. Sometimes the roots will only be circling a little bit, but don't seem to find their way out of the old soil into the new, and pulling them out and laying them in direct contact speeds that whole process up.

You can just hold the plant by the main stalk and gently rub the outside of the ball, freeing up a little bit of the roots all the way around.

L

lunchbox421

Yea, I usually lightly massage the root ball to break it up a little as well as clean off the old soil from the top and around the stalk at the base. I find it helps a lot too like you said. Really speeds the transplant process up as they dive right into the new soil :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Alright then, ONE last trick to push her back into full vegetative mode--make an alfalfa tea, either from hay itself or alfalfa meal. I use a handful of hay (got sweepings for free from feed store) in about a half gallon of warm to hot water, let it steep for an hour or so, then use it. Also, pushing some nitrogen can help force vegetative growth, but be careful, do one or two good pushes then leave it alone, see what happens.

L

lunchbox421

Sounds interesting. Time to hunt down some alfalfa meal and start brewing. I've bumped up the N but to no avail, but I'm going to give it another shot going a little higher ec. If that doesn't pan out I'll try the tea. And if that still doesn't do the trick I'm going to fool with the light schedule. Hopefully one of these will get 'em goin' again. I'd really hate to loose them. I really hate loosing/cutting any of my pretty babies hahaha. I can bring myself to chop a male I have hanging out for some time now. He just looks like a good dad you know. Well, thanks for the great advice!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I surely hope it helps, please update if you see it go one way or the other, ok?

Top Bottom