Moving Carbon Filter from Inside to Outside Tent

• Thread starter XxHammer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
XxHammer

XxHammer

Okay, question. I have been having issues with heat that have been resolved more or less by a portable AC but I would still like to make my system as optimized as possible

Here is my current setup... It goes Carbon Scrubber-- Fan-- Hose--- Out Window ... I feel like the Scrubber being the first step is restricting the air flow.

I was thinking instead... Fan inside tent--- Hose--- Carbon Scrubber.... and Just have the Carbon Scrubber in my bedroom on the floor (id make some sort of mount or shelf for it)

What do you guys think?

I think this will definitely help get more hot air out of the tent. But then whatever odor is left from the Scrubber would be going into my bedroom. I am not worried about the smell but it is just another factor to consider before making the change.

I just dont feel I am getting the draw through the exhaust system that I should be. I know my fan (4'') is undersized as well. I will be fixing this issue for my next Grow.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
doesnt the fan pull air through the filter? outside the fan would push air through?

XxHammer

XxHammer

Yes the fan pulls air through the filter. through about 5-6' of duct and out the window.

no, the fan would still function the same way. it would pull air in, it would pass through the duct, and then into the filter.

XxHammer

XxHammer

FinishedWithAC

I have a separate system for pushing in cool air.
AFinishedTentSetup

XxHammer

XxHammer

I need some feedback from Growers who keep their Carbon Scrubbers outside the Tent.

Anthem

Anthem

I need some feedback from Growers who keep their Carbon Scrubbers outside the Tent.
It does not work the same if you push air thru it, they are designed for the air to be sucked thru the filter. Try running 2 ducts from the AC into the tent to keep the tent cool. You can run some experiments to get an idea of how close you are to the temps you want inside the tent by lowering the wattage output of the light. As you get closers to your temp goals turning the light down will decrease the temperatures faster.

XxHammer

XxHammer

My light only has 1 setting, hot as balls.

Ill just get through this grow and re-do the exhaust system on my next Grow with a bigger and better exhaust Fan.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Imo cool the room the tent is in.

As was stated you never want to push air through a filter.

Ditch that fan at the top blowing hot air down from the light. That should help and it does no good to blow air down on the plants. You want the air movement under and through the canopy. The exhaust at the top will pull the hot air out more efficiently if your not blowing the hot air down onto the plants.

Where is your temp sensor placed? This is very Important to getting an accurate reading.

If you have or have access to an IR temp gun check the leaf temps at the tops... maybe it's not even an issue as you think.

XxHammer

XxHammer

Imo cool the room the tent is in.

As was stated you never want to push air through a filter.

Ditch that fan at the top blowing hot air down from the light. That should help and it does no good to blow air down on the plants. You want the air movement under and through the canopy. The exhaust at the top will pull the hot air out more efficiently if your not blowing the hot air down onto the plants.

Where is your temp sensor placed? This is very Important to getting an accurate reading.

If you have or have access to an IR temp gun check the leaf temps at the tops... maybe it's not even an issue as you think.

Thanks for the thoughtful post. I will ditch or move the fan... it is actually much lower now than the picture... It is adjustable and slides up and down the tent pole.

I have 3 different temp sensors. And I did bring one of the IR guns from work and realized my plant temps were actually on the cool side (73F).... I have since bumped up the settings on the AC unit and now have it running a little warmer. Keeping the plants closer to 80F when the lights are on.

But yeah, until I brought that IR gun home to get actual Leaf temps, I thought I was running hot. Ive come to find that my plants run about 5-6 degrees cooler than the thermometers readings.
VegD2

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks for the thoughtful post. I will ditch or move the fan... it is actually much lower now than the picture... It is adjustable and slides up and down the tent pole.

I have 3 different temp sensors. And I did bring one of the IR guns from work and realized my plant temps were actually on the cool side (73F).... I have since bumped up the settings on the AC unit and now have it running a little warmer. Keeping the plants closer to 80F when the lights are on.

But yeah, until I brought that IR gun home to get actual Leaf temps, I thought I was running hot. Ive come to find that my plants run about 5-6 degrees cooler than the thermometers readings.View attachment 1114430
Yup... why I always say room temps mean shit. It's the leaf temps that matter. It's sounds like you have good air movement under HID to have that diff as that's usually seen under LED. The reason I say that is the increased air movement creates forced evaporation from the leaves and creates evaporative cooling.

Many ways to manipulate leaf temos to be good even in a temp that may seem like it way to high and keep plants happy šŸ˜

XxHammer

XxHammer

FinishedWithAC

Yeah, I have this Portable A/C, currently just on Fan mode, running whenever my Light is on. But it will be very nice come Flower for keeping them a few degrees cooler.

I am glad I started taking temps of the leafs. I was stressing for no reason. Although they did get a little warm this morning for some odd reason. But I think I solved the problem.

Latest posts

Top Bottom