MPB bucket plant problems

• Thread starter Decisive
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Decisive

I'm in need of some advice desperately and i'll include a bunch of pictures to help diagnose my problems. Here's the scenario:

8k watts bare bulb vertical

RDWC system with a 4000gph pump with a feedback tee back into the res for extra aeration. 2x 12" waterfalls coming into the res from the drain lines, 1x 110 lpm air pump with 12 airstones spread around the 100 gallon res, and 1 x 110lpm with airlines and airstones running into each of the 7x 27 gallon buckets (each filled about 15gallons) in the system. Water chiller keeping temps at 68 in the res. Each 27 gallon tote has a hole cut in its lid for a net pot that is filled about halfway with hydroton.

Here's the situation, we had 7 well rooted clones coming out of an aerocloner, the plants were placed in the system together. The room is cooled by a 48k BTU central AC unit, it contains 8x bare bulb 1000w metal halides, sealed room, co2 gen, soleus 20 pint dehumidifier, and sentinal to control all cooling, dehumidifying and co2. Started the system with 185 gallons in the res, added lucas formula at 0-5-10 (grow-micro-bloom), added House and Garden root accel, multi zen and algen extract to reverse osmosis water. The first night we had a major problem, put the plants in the system around 3AM left the system running for 4 hours, woke up to a room in disaster mode, temperature of the room was 118 farenheit (we tested the AC the day before so we were very suprised), water temp in the res read 90+ farenheit, plants were falling over wilting. The concrete floor was actually warm to the touch and the AC was running but no cold air was coming out its ducts.

After this we started running just 1 light till we got our AC problems sorted out, turned out we needed a low ambient kit to run in winter temps. All this happened on the 6th, we got the water chiller running and working, fixed the AC and started running all lights again, this time conditions were optimal. Please note at this point we didnt flush, in the following weeks since the 6th, 5 out of the 7 transplanted clones have had browning roots that eventually broke of the stem (cloning was done without rockwool or other media). The remaining 2 clones roots seemed to be growing at an exponential rate, but the leaves still showed signs of deficiency. The pH also rose quickly on the 6th when the AC failed, it was corrected from 6.5 all the way back down to 5.8 in .2 increments daily. The now rootless clones were replaced with fresh cuts from a local club rooted in rockwool, dead roots were fished out of the buckets and the two plants that were not replaced had been growing very fast up to this point, but showed some weird deficiencies on the leaves. So Fox Farms Big Bloom was added at 1/3rd recommend dose, Earth Juice Microblast at 1/3rd recommended and Cal-Mag plus was added at 1tsp per gallon. At this point the res had a ton of white bubbles frothing through it, with some very small patches of brown bubbles. The roots on the surviving plants looked like they were growing fast well out of the net pots and into the water. The new clones seemed to be growing roots fast too, but all the leaves on all plants in the system still showed signs of deficiency and didnt look perfectly normal, twisting slightly, wilting and seeming frail and thin. The old surviving plants look like their roots might have some brownish residue on it, however bear in mind the color of the nutrient solution is also a deep brown. Here's some pictures of the plants:

A couple of pieces of info that may be useful:

The central AC keeps relative humidity in the room around 28-31% consistantly, AC kicks on when center plant (surrounded by 4 lights ) temp gets to 83 farenheit, the room is then cooled by AC until the thermometer by the center plant reads 78 then is let rise up back to 83 and the cycle repeats. Light cycle was 24/0 until two days ago when it was switched to 18/6. Out of desperation at a lack of improvement SM-90 was added to the res at an attempt to destroy any remaining living organisms. Not sure if I have root rot or not, not sure what to do next actually, pH at the moment is a rock solid 5.9, temps in res are 68 yet still these weird leaf deformities. Some of the leaves almost seem to disintegrate upon touch as if either burnt to the crisp by heat, messed up by pH flux, deficient in something or maybe getting too dry from a lack of humidity. PPM in the system @.5 conversion is about 950, raised from 800 after cal-mag was added. Definitely signs of burnt tips, but still not sure if too strong nutrients are my problem here. I'd really appreciate any input.

Lights are 53" away from the center of the plants, an 18" and 14" oscillating fan moves air through the room.

Mpb bucket plant problems
Mpb bucket plant problems 2
Mpb bucket plant problems 3
Mpb bucket plant problems 4
Mpb bucket plant problems 5
Mpb bucket plant problems 6
Mpb bucket plant problems 7
Mpb bucket plant problems 8
Mpb bucket plant problems 9
Mpb bucket plant problems 10
Mpb bucket plant problems 11
Mpb bucket plant problems 12
Mpb bucket plant problems 13
Mpb bucket plant problems 14
Mpb bucket plant problems 15
chrometrichs

chrometrichs

I'm early in my mpb setup but running into some similar problems. Our setups sound remarkable similar, I'm going to get my thread going soon and we can bounce our problems and solutions off each other. First off, your humidity levels should be raised immediately, the masters here talk about how much trees love a humidity level from 60%-%70 percent. The air being so dry is probably why the leaves are brittle and disintegrating upon touch. Also, I don't remember read anything that mentions your top drip feed line. This water in the upper root zone is essential for developing the roots that will feed into the bucket. I started vegging my plants with just the top drip line, once the roots started feeding out of the net pot, I kicked in the dwc. I have however just recently noticed the brown slime attaching itself to roots and I know this is from the algen and roots xcl. I'm going to order the hydro-fungicide dds recommends, hopefully this will solve or prevent any problems from happening. Hope these tips help...

O

OregonMeds

I'm watching to see the answer myself... Similar thing just happened to me and I tossed them rather than wait for them to recover, but now I think I should have maybe tried to save them.

Anyway nice setup, you more than doubled the air/water specs but only have 7 plants and 8kw? Seems to me like you have invested too much in some areas and not enough in lights. Just curious why...

D

doubleds

This is what i call "lumen shock" but very severe. If you read my articles you read that after successful cloning my plants sit on an ebb n flow table under a 1000 watt hps to harden off/get them used to severe lumens. Everday i drop the light until it gets 8 inches above the cutting, then they go to the bucket system. You cant take freshly rooted clones and go straight to the mpb's.
more light than the sun and thats why you have twisted leaves.

dds

D

Decisive

thank you guys for the prompt and thorough replies, and thank you doubleds for personally giving your opinion, its greatly appreciated. From what it sounds like, I need to raise my humidity, raise the lights (or maybe just run 4 for now?) so its less intense. Do i need to add a fungicide to my res and flush? But yea the clones that I got from the club are definitely much more well rooted than the ones I originally put in the system from my aerocloner and seem to be doing much better, maybe these solutions will help fix the twisty leaves/deformities.

As far as the drip system, we decided to omit it and just treat it like a regular RDWC/biobucket system with the net pots filled high enough where the transplanted clones bare roots are already covered in water. The airstone in each bucket and the high flow rate in the system makes it so each bucket exchanges all water relatively quickly. Perhaps this was a mistake and the plants need some decent sized roots developed by drip and ebb/flow to properly take off in the system. Is there anything else you guys recommend I do to help bring these babies back to full strength?

Thanks again for all the advice

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

hey dds, I'm using your nut regiment in veg right now and I'm starting to see some brown slime attaching itself to the root zone, what should I do to combat this? I'm also having some problems getting my ph stabilized, its been raising above 6.2 pretty steadily.
Thanks for your help, nice to see you back on the forums, hope all is well.

{with the net pots filled high enough where the transplanted clones bare roots are already covered in water.}
I know dds recommends adding a few inches of lava rock on top of the water line so the cubes don't get over watered, the roots needs a little air and space before they hit the water.

M

MedicalINFO

ChromeT, I think it is the roots excellerator and the algean that is causing the slime. I just went through the same process and got rid of anything "alive" in my solution and the wierd fungus went away and my ph became more manageable. The Plants started growing faster as well. It's a a shame because roots excell is one of my favorite products ever!

D's how do you get away with using those products?

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

I know I love the roots xcl and algen, I'm wondering if the hydro-fungicide (on order) will positively effect this issue.

L

Lost

No, its lumer shock like DD's said. I watched someones crop go 2 months like this. They will not perk up most likey. The grow I saw the plants never came back and it was 20+ of them. The guy was using the same nute line up I use GW, Roots Excel, H&G and all..

D

Decisive

No, its lumer shock like DD's said. I watched someones crop go 2 months like this. They will not perk up most likey. The grow I saw the plants never came back and it was 20+ of them. The guy was using the same nute line up I use GW, Roots Excel, H&G and all..

So basically i'm screwed then? I should start a whole new lot of clones from scratch under less intense light in the E&F then transplant into the system?

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

one of the benefits of running just a top drip feed initially is you don't need to run a 200 gallon reservoir. I ran my system with just a 50 gal res for 2-3 weeks before the roots were stretching down into the tubs, which saved me hundreds in nutrients. The cost and time used to set up the drip system is pretty negligible, a ~1000gph pump, 1/2 or 3/4 poly line, and a roll of drip emitter tubing 6 inch spacing. I take the tubing, form a circle and tee it off creating a drip ring around the plant. I agree with these guys on lumen shock, plants that sized are def getting cooked by the lights, the really low humidity just magnified the problem imo. This system should be started up slowly imo, especially when you start with little plants.

D

Decisive

for sure, that makes alot of sense, I was just of the impression that the rdwc will make them beast right from the start but i guess drip gives them a chance to ease in there. What do you guys think I should do at this point? Keep going or restart with new clones, new res, less light and more humidity.

O

OregonMeds

I didn't put in new clones myself and I did give one day with the lights higher, but sounds like you nailed it, that just wasn't an easy enough transition.

thanks

mango420

mango420

Hey Decisive, sorry to hear your first go at the buckets didnt work as planned..I dont have much experience with the mpbs, but I have been growing for about 6 years. And let me tell you if you put a fresh clone in any system or medium and put a 1000watter close to it, it will stop all growth and basically kill your clone. Clones are very sensitive to light and when u think about it, they were probably rooted under a hundred watts of flow lights then put directly into about 3-4000watts of light, the plants have no way to process this much light, therefor they shut down and do not grow anymore. I have always vegged under 400mhs and if I ever put fresh clones under a 1000watter it would be about 4ft away. Also your humidity is way too low..If I were you I would start completely over again, veg on an ebb and flow table, like dds.. as ur clones are not going to bounce back. Another point I would suggest getting 1000watt hps lights instead of mh lights. The lumen output of hps is significantly higher and the mhs do not have the strengh to penitrate through layers of leaves. The spectrum of hps is way better as well. I think the output for 1k mh is 90,000 lummens and a 1k hps is 120-140,000. The mh will not produce hard buds, they will be soft and airy..not what any grower wants..Good Luck!

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

Unfortunately, it will probably take your plants longer to come back to life then it will for new plants that start off healthy, in a perfect environment. Some clubs have teens, which will save you maybe a week or so of veg, and since your only getting 7 its not that expensive. It will cost you far more in the end to have a weak harvest.

D

doubleds

You are ALWAYS going to get some lumen shock bro, how bad you get it is the key. When clones first go into the mpbs the vertical bulbs should be just above the cuts for 3-4 days, then lower them a couple inches for a day then so on until the bulbs are even with the plants.
I just went through the same thing..... I completely forgot about raising my lights and shocked everything all to hell. They all came back and r now happy and healthy but they are 3 weeks behind where they should be and is gonna cost me 1 crop this year.

dds

L

Lost

DD's, I lumen shocked some of my clones a few days ago. Whats the best way to pull them out? Back down the light? Like I said, I visited a grow where 20+ plants (teens even) had lumen shock and they never came back. I was going to toss them, but they are my only clones from my 98 bubba from seed I selfed.. Grrr... lol

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

I would think lumen shock can be minimized by turning on a new light every day or two for a week or so, while slowly lowering the lights to the optimum height. Or if you have dimmable ballasts started at 50% and working your way up perhaps.

O

OregonMeds

I only had one light hung chrometrics and had it twice the distance the first day, so I don't think that's enough.

I did it exactly the same as I do my soil plants, and they have always been fine with it, that's what's throwing me I think.

Widowmaker

Widowmaker

This is what i call "lumen shock" but very severe. If you read my articles you read that after successful cloning my plants sit on an ebb n flow table under a 1000 watt hps to harden off/get them used to severe lumens. Everday i drop the light until it gets 8 inches above the cutting, then they go to the bucket system. You cant take freshly rooted clones and go straight to the mpb's.
more light than the sun and thats why you have twisted leaves.

dds

8” above the clones with a 1000 W HPS horizontal with a reflector?
:icon_spin:

Latest posts

Top Bottom