Mr Canucks grows...,does he really just use dry amendments?

• Thread starter 4SkateMafia20
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sykemfs

Sykemfs

Oh man I have tried to watch others, can’t do it. Unless I just haven’t dug deep enough yet to find someone who, despite several people whining about not knowing how he grows in coco....if you pay attention you hear what he’s doing, is as good as he is with the videos. I want to insulate his grow as close as I can...it is proving very difficult to get some of the same amendments because of shipping costs. So I have had to do some digging...I can’t wait to get my first grow in and share with y’all!

Dr Earth makes comparable amendments

kurazmuzik

kurazmuzik

I've been using Down to Earth amendments and I'm in week 8 of a 14 week autoflower. The only thing that's really confusing me is the "water when dry" part of things. I've been looking at the top inch of coco by sticky my finger in to the first knuckle and that's been getting me by although I know I've let it get a little too dry here and there. The plant looks great and healthy but it's drinking like a leaky pipe right now. I know it'll drink more as these budlets form but Its very hard to tell as a first time grower what "moist" is when I feel that first inch of coco with my fingers. It's not wet soil moist but not top of coco dry either.

Oh...For anyone else looking for others to follow on youtube that uses the same method, "Stealth Grows" is awesome as well and takes things slower and more week to week than Canucks (who I also love). He uses Dr Earth and doesn't do any teas for the most part. Highly recommended.

Mrgreendab1

Mrgreendab1

I've been using Down to Earth amendments and I'm in week 8 of a 14 week autoflower. The only thing that's really confusing me is the "water when dry" part of things. I've been looking at the top inch of coco by sticky my finger in to the first knuckle and that's been getting me by although I know I've let it get a little too dry here and there. The plant looks great and healthy but it's drinking like a leaky pipe right now. I know it'll drink more as these budlets form but Its very hard to tell as a first time grower what "moist" is when I feel that first inch of coco with my fingers. It's not wet soil moist but not top of coco dry either.

Oh...For anyone else looking for others to follow on youtube that uses the same method, "Stealth Grows" is awesome as well and takes things slower and more week to week than Canucks (who I also love). He uses Dr Earth and doesn't do any teas for the most part. Highly recommended.
Do you have any photos?

kurazmuzik

kurazmuzik

Do you have any photos?

I sure do. Mind you this is my first time growing literally anything and I'm in a 2x2 with a Mars TS600 and stunted this girl by overwatering on day 8 and day 10. She took a second to bounce back. Shes at about day 57 or so. There's 1 small plant in the back left corner. Ignore her. I killed her twice due to laziness and she still recovered a tiny bit.
20200914 201939
20200914 202008
20200914 202022
20200914 202040

Mrgreendab1

Mrgreendab1

I sure do. Mind you this is my first time growing literally anything and I'm in a 2x2 with a Mars TS600 and stunted this girl by overwatering on day 8 and day 10. She took a second to bounce back. Shes at about day 57 or so. There's 1 small plant in the back left corner. Ignore her. I killed her twice due to laziness and she still recovered a tiny bit.View attachment 1031498View attachment 1031499View attachment 1031500View attachment 1031501
Hey that’s awesome! I am looking at different options right now. It’s not about the money for me I don’t have unlimited funds but I would rather wait and save for the best amendments than settle, I am sure we can all agree on that. Quality in quality out. So obviously I am looking at down to earth, but also dr earth and Gaia green. There is also nature’s soil. They have two blends one made for autos and of course photo periods. So if anyone had info on those that would be great! I have designed a few recipes for growing in coco with amendments. There is so much to learn!

dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

I sure do. Mind you this is my first time growing literally anything and I'm in a 2x2 with a Mars TS600 and stunted this girl by overwatering on day 8 and day 10. She took a second to bounce back. Shes at about day 57 or so. There's 1 small plant in the back left corner. Ignore her. I killed her twice due to laziness and she still recovered a tiny bit.

Those certainly look like a Sativa strain. What are you growing?

kurazmuzik

kurazmuzik

The bigger girl is Critical Purple and the small neglected girl in the back is Tangerine Dream both by Growers Choice Seeds. I'm kicking myself a little for not showing the Tangerine Dream any love. When I decided to bring her back to life she had the most citrus smell I've ever smelled. It was like I was peeling oranges. Luckily I have a few more seeds of both.

kurazmuzik

kurazmuzik

Hey that’s awesome! I am looking at different options right now. It’s not about the money for me I don’t have unlimited funds but I would rather wait and save for the best amendments than settle, I am sure we can all agree on that. Quality in quality out. So obviously I am looking at down to earth, but also dr earth and Gaia green. There is also nature’s soil. They have two blends one made for autos and of course photo periods. So if anyone had info on those that would be great! I have designed a few recipes for growing in coco with amendments. There is so much to learn!

Nice! Down to Earth has treated me well. I'll be buying more of their line for my next run (only have 4-4-4 and 4-8-4 currently) and upgrading to a 2x4 and a Kingbrite 240w QB. The only thing that's still boggling me is being able to tell when the plant needs water as I mentioned in a previous post. I think I'm getting the hang of it a bit but definitely have let it get too dry multiple times.

Mrgreendab1

Mrgreendab1

I
Nice! Down to Earth has treated me well. I'll be buying more of their line for my next run (only have 4-4-4 and 4-8-4 currently) and upgrading to a 2x4 and a Kingbrite 240w QB. The only thing that's still boggling me is being able to tell when the plant needs water as I mentioned in a previous post. I think I'm getting the hang of it a bit but definitely have let it get too dry multiple times.
am going to get a 2x4 kit from spider farmer. I wanted to and still may get Gaia green. I’ve got Matt’s Recipe locked down on paper and I just feel that if I can emulate his grow I should get same results. But damn it Gaia shipping is 78 bucks and that’s just for two 2kg tubs!!! Worm castings are easy I already know where I am getting that from. Coco I wanted jumped up in price but I think I have that covered already as well. Just these damned amendments! My plan was to suck it up and buy the two tubs and buy something comparable in the states and run two pots of auto of the same strain. Gaia and then the other pot with Dr earth perhaps. Is this even a valid test or are there just too many factors that go into the grow? Or does it come down to a growing style? What works for me might not work for you type thing? I am so happy have a community to talk to that is alive and well! Love Matt but I have not heard back from him.

dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

Sup guys and girls...well ive been watching some of Mr Canucks vids on YT and I just cant get my head around the claim that he just uses dry amendments...I

I think he's genuine and his videos are the best on You tube. There's incredible stupidity on YouTube. There was one guy who identified himself as a commercial medical marijuana grower and he had an entire library of videos. But he was fighting infestations and using pesticides. And stupidly bringing in plants from outside the grow (A friend gave him some clones). Plants that brought bugs into his lab. How dumb can you get? I mean, this was a big multi-room lab and he was treating it like a garage. Mr. Canuck's secret is his efficient presentation and editing. He must have help for presentations to be that polished. Although he sounds like Quagmire his conversation is concise. Unlike others who waste a lot of words. But I'll never use his methods. If it ain't broke don't fix it. With me into the distant future it will always be Pro Mix Myco, Fox Farm trio, Cal Mag Plus and Neem Oil. I don't need to brag that I grew organic. My hash is going to be just as good. One thing about Mr. Canuck's grows is that the entire house must always reek completely of weed.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

I

am going to get a 2x4 kit from spider farmer. I wanted to and still may get Gaia green. I’ve got Matt’s Recipe locked down on paper and I just feel that if I can emulate his grow I should get same results. But damn it Gaia shipping is 78 bucks and that’s just for two 2kg tubs!!! Worm castings are easy I already know where I am getting that from. Coco I wanted jumped up in price but I think I have that covered already as well. Just these damned amendments! My plan was to suck it up and buy the two tubs and buy something comparable in the states and run two pots of auto of the same strain. Gaia and then the other pot with Dr earth perhaps. Is this even a valid test or are there just too many factors that go into the grow? Or does it come down to a growing style? What works for me might not work for you type thing? I am so happy have a community to talk to that is alive and well! Love Matt but I have not heard back from him.

I wouldn't pay to ship gaia green if you have access to down to earth or dr earth. All very similar stuff. This outdoor season I used Down to earth Vegan Blend for Veg and Dr. Earth Flower girl for flower. Down to earth Bio-live is another good one for veg.

Mrgreendab1

Mrgreendab1

I wouldn't pay to ship gaia green if you have access to down to earth or dr earth. All very similar stuff. This outdoor season I used Down to earth Vegan Blend for Veg and Dr. Earth Flower girl for flower. Down to earth Bio-live is another good one for veg.
Do you have photos of the run with dr earth?

Mrgreendab1

Mrgreendab1

What do you guys think about using the same ratio as Gaia green with the dr earth? They recommend 2tbsp per gallon as where GG says 4. Is that because Gaia is made and heard more for hydro or is it that dr earth is geared to tomatoes and vegetable gardens and it would be perfectly fine to go up two more tbsp

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Do you have photos of the run with dr earth?

She hasn’t come down yet, but I can go take pic.

A7FFB90D 1294 4B85 BD89 66E7206385B9

What do you guys think about using the same ratio as Gaia green with the dr earth? They recommend 2tbsp per gallon as where GG says 4. Is that because Gaia is made and heard more for hydro or is it that dr earth is geared to tomatoes and vegetable gardens and it would be perfectly fine to go up two more tbsp

Yeah they have similar npk and ingredients so going up to 4 would be fine IMO. I have been eye balling it honestly.

Last edited:
Mrgreendab1

Mrgreendab1

She hasn’t come down yet, but I can go take pic.

View attachment 1031604

Yeah they have similar npk and ingredients so going up to 4 would be fine IMO. I have been eye balling it honestly.

Nice! I think I am going to go down that road then and if I really just wanna try Gaia one day I could but it isn’t necessary. But I only know that now because of this group! Thanks guys!

atskippy3

atskippy3

Sup guys and girls...well ive been watching some of Mr Canucks vids on YT and I just cant get my head around the claim that he just uses dry amendments...I mean your plants and buds can surely not get that big and fat just by eating some dry ammendments.I mean where does all the nitrogen etc come from,where does all the potassium and phosphorous come from to feed those sized buds,surely they are raping ppm?Coco in itself has no microbes so wouldn't they need a long time to build up in that medium etc? Its a coco grow so how does the plant survive on just dry amendments?he says he ph his water and thats all thats given but from the size of the buds etc i have a hard time believing that dry amendments alone with the coco/perlite give off such big colas or am I missing something?Even looking at the pots all i see is coco perlite nothing else?Maybe someone can clarify

Yes it can be done with dry amendments only. I grow Organically in Super Soil that I mix myself using dry amendments from Gaia Green, plus other dry amendments. Medical Licence grow.

After I mix my soil, I let it "cook" in closed bins outside for 60 days, opening it once a week to stir it and add a little water if needed. I use the Super Soil in the bottom 1/3 of the hole in the ground, and fabric pots. I fill the top 2/3's with ProMix HP.

After I plant in soil, or 15 gal fabric pots, I let them grow! . . . No topping, LST, pH'ing of water, etc! I let the soil do all the work, rather than myself! "Guerrilla" grow in my backyard 😂 - Eastern Ontario, Canada.

Keeping it simple and real!! . . .
1. Germinate in Jiffy Pucks on April 20th - (4/20 😊) - 100% germination rate!
2. Plant in the ground late May.
3. Water every few days with tap water. Add molasses every watering while in flower.
4. Topdress monthly with Gaia Green.
5. Add Banana Peel Tea once a month.
6. Foliar spray with Baking Soda, dish soap, and olive oil once a week, while in flower, to prevent powdery mildew - successful!
No PM found, except a little on one plant. Used above formula ever second day for a week on that plant, and above treatment worked like a charm.
7. Let nature do it's own thing!! No need to flush at end of grow because no liquid with salts used.

Attached are a few pictures of my "big" gals!! Three are 8ft tall and smelling wonderful!! I have one that is 12ft tall, following the same simple process . . .

Start of the process using Jiffy Pucks
PSX 20200420 101043

One of my Tangerine Dreams - 8.5ft tall
PSX 20200915 075502

One of my Strawberry Cheesecake's 12ft tall
PSX 20200911 164657

A few of my plants - Second half of this years outdoor grow
PSX 20200822 000553

A picture of one of my fan leafs! One foot in length!
PSX 20200612 193656

One of my plants from the first half of this years grow
PSX 20200721 121103

A few pictures from the first half of this years outdoor grow
PSX 20200720 184356

One of my friends holding a top cola from last year's outdoor grow. Grown using the same process and dry amendments. That cola weighed in at 45g post trimming and drying!
PSX 20191013 232611

Last edited:
Vesti Bule

Vesti Bule

I grew a qp Tahoe using nothing but cocoloco and happy frog dry amendments. It works.
Likewise, I watched a few of MrCanuck's vids and tried to find the Gaia Green he uses, but doesn't seem to be available where I live, so I picked up FF's two-part dry organic amendment line at about $12 apiece (4lbs each, i think) from my local hydro shop. In addition to compost teas, these are my only additives to the coco I've been reusing.

Using this approach, I recently harvested nearly 15oz from an 8sf canopy under 400+ watts of crummy diy QB's that themselves cost me less than $100 apiece.

There is no cheaper way to grow than dry org amendments in reused coco supplemented with some wild and wooly bacteria infested compost teas made from broken down kitchen scraps.

Chemical nutes and brand-name prices are for suckers...with all due respect to my fellow growers that use them successfully.

Happy growing, all!

Vesti Bule

Vesti Bule

Incidentally, but relatedly, GeoFlora is giving away 4lb samples of both their organic veg and flower amendments. They will charge a shipping fee of something like $13.

Using this for the next grow, or couple of grows depending.

Mrgreendab1

Mrgreendab1

Incidentally, but relatedly, GeoFlora is giving away 4lb samples of both their organic veg and flower amendments. They will charge a shipping fee of something like $13.

Using this for the next grow, or couple of grows depending.
I sent in request...have you gotten yours or have you gotten email with invoice? Would be cool to know if it’s legit! One step closer towards my first grow if I can get it.

Vesti Bule

Vesti Bule

I sent in request...have you gotten yours or have you gotten email with invoice? Would be cool to know if it’s legit! One step closer towards my first grow if I can get it.
Yea, I got mine, and some happy soon-to-be-flipped girls are vegging imperiously in it!

It took a little while, and I did have to call after a few weeks before I got the invoice, but ultimately they did send the samples - I got the sense they were compiling some number of requests and processing in mass.

Top Bottom