Multiple Strains On The Same Uc?

• Thread starter UrsaMajor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

UrsaMajor

Is it safe to run multiple strains on the same UC? I know strains normally have preferred feeding schedules and pH, but it seems that UCs always have a straight feeding schedule. Is this because it is only ever one strain per system, or do all plants grow the same, safely in an UC?

Thanks for all responses.

snoopytime

snoopytime

I would say 98% of what anyone is gonna grow these days will do fine with the same general schedule. The only exception I have seen is real deal sativa with like 5 month flowering times .. they like the nutes REAL light. Any kool kid strains these days are so hybrid and at least half indica they can take a good bite from any regular feed schedule.

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

From my experience it's not the feeding schedule of multiple strains in a single UC that is the hardest part of pulling a successful harvest. Although to dial in and have as close to a perfect run getting to know a single strain and her desirables in a feeding schedule is optimal. Seeing that in the UC you can keep your EC low and your stew simple and have great success I don't see feeding being an issue to steer someone away from running multiple strains. Other plant characteristics give more problems in pulling a well rounded run when running multiple strains in the UC. Growing time is one big difference between strains that can keep a run from being well rounded. Some strains veg faster than others and some finish at different times. This has an effect on how each strain is trained during veg to keep an even canopy. Knowing each strain you are running in your UC can help. For example I have ran different strains and knew the strains well and tied some down and had others next to them that I have to let grow straight to keep the canopy as even as possible, using the same veg time. I've also started vegging some strains before others to be prepared for different growth. Another character trait to know and watch is your stretch. Keeping an even canopy is pretty important in having that successful run, so controlling the stretch and keeping things even is something to have under control. I have noticed that growing the same strain from seed can have some of the same things to watch for as each pheno has its own stretch and growth. I hope this helps answer somethings.
I look forward to seeing your system and what you run with.

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

So far all of my UC grows have been from seeds and the run before last I had some germination issues and ended up using seeds I had on hand to fill out the whole system. I ended up with 5 Sweet Specials, 2 Killer Kush and 1 Cream Mandarine, all from Sweet Seeds. The only one that suffered a bit was the Cream Mandarine. It's nutrient requirements were a bit less than the others. This week I harvested a full system of Blue Dream. I found it required about 75 ppm, on the 500 scale, more than anything else I've grown so far. So had I mixed it with another strain I probably would have had to compromise somewhere in the middle to accommodate both. My next grow will also be a mixed one. Six Female Seeds Ice and 2 Mephisto Chemdogging autos. Again I had some germination issues with the Ice and not having more photo seeds, threw those two autos in to fill the system. Since autos are normally run under 18 or 20 hours of light, I'm not expecting to get the most from them under 12 hours of light. Autos generally require less nutrients than photos, so that has the potential to be problematic as well. All that said, I believe you can successfully run multiple strains as long as they are close in their genetic make up, stretch and flowering time. As mentioned above, keeping an even canopy is key to getting the best results.

MurderVille

MurderVille

Is it safe to run multiple strains on the same UC? I know strains normally have preferred feeding schedules and pH, but it seems that UCs always have a straight feeding schedule. Is this because it is only ever one strain per system, or do all plants grow the same, safely in an UC?

Thanks for all responses.

You can definitely run multiple strains in one system, just be sure to pay attention to flower times to get your best flowers.

Top Bottom