My 1st dive into hydro

• Thread starter cheyenne
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cheyenne

So this long time dirt farmer is giving up and going hydro....Im tired of sweeping up and more importantly im tired of disposing of used soil, so....
1st I made a 24 site aerocloner in a 24ga rubbermaid container....works sweetly except for the water that leaked under the lid. I corrected that by building a skirt that hangs from the lid to the bottom of the container. This directs the water back down into the rez rather than leaking out onto the floor. Next up was 2 - 12 site transition drip systems in the same type of container. I simply cut 13 holes in the lid, 12 hold 3" net pot w hydroton and the other is for the pump power cord, airline and 1/2 drip feed. 1/4 in drip off the 1/2 in main feed the plants. Cycle is 15on/15off. Ive been leaving them in this setup for about 6 days to allow a substantial root mass to form. They are under a 4' x 8light t5.
As soon as the root have filled the 3" net pot and are extending below the pot i am transferring them to 1 gal airpots on a 4x4 CAP table with a 38gal rez. Top drip feed. Lucas + floralicious and mycorhizae with a 1k watt MH for veg. I expect to veg for 2 weeks and then transfer to the flowering chamber.

My other experiment was with a plant that was growing in some sour soil i was having problems with. I knew it was going to be risky to do this but i needed to try it. I removed the 2 gal grow bag and placed the root ball into a 20 ga container of ph adjusted ro water with hormex (b12) and mycorhizae and gently rinsed all of the soil out of the roots. I lost a lot of roots and was pretty scared i was going to lose her. I then gently placed her into a 10" netpot and into a DWC with a top feed drip ring. I let the drip ring run 24/7 for the 1st 10-12 days at which point i began seeing new root growth coming from the bottom of the net pot. I then cut the feeding down to 15on/15off. A couple days later she had grown a pretty substantial root system and i cut the top feed all together. She now has a huge healthy root system and is vigorously putting out new vegetative growth.

Over all I have to say that im blown away and dont know why i didnt make this switch....oh a decade ago. DOH!

Im just trying to keep everything really simple. Running Lucas with GH, plus floralicious and mycorhizae. EC is stable at 1.7-1.8 pH is stable with slight rises from 5.8-6 so i think im feeding correctly. Rez temps are right at 68-71`F.

Latest posts

Top Bottom