My 1st Go And Would Like To Know What People Think.......

• Thread starter Farmer No1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Farmer No1

I recently started doing something I have been wanting to do for many many years.
Its a great hobby so wanted to share some photos.

My questions:
1. Do they look like they will yield much? as we are in week 7 and I am not sure if the yield will be good. The plants became too big for the space and next time I will stop veg and top sooner. The tent is overtaken and I cant even get in there to place more fans in. Not sure if the buds are that big though. I did have a salt build up in veg but sorted it. Growth/roots seem very good.
2. I have one plant with massive cola but leaves are going yellow and with some orange spots. All others are ok. But I think its from a build up of salts and nutes. So maybe its nothing to worry about but any advice is much appreciated.

I have a type of gelato and birthday cake row by row.

My 1st go and would like to know what people think
My 1st go and would like to know what people think 2
My 1st go and would like to know what people think 3
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Jeez they look fantastic, well done for your first!
The small orange spots could be a Ca def as that's pretty common in coco since it has a lot of potassium that competes for uptake. I wouldn't use Calmag pr CaN at this point though, Id just ride it out. The plant will naturally start yellowing and showing natural deficiencies soon anyway. But you could use 200ppm Calmag for a single days feeding if you want, It might stop progression of the spotting.

What do you have for light? What's the environment like? what are you feeding it? What strain is it? Based on the pic it looks quite sativa like, and the buds still have a lot of swelling to do. I'd just keep up with your feeding for another week or two. Looks like they need 2-3 more weeks to fatten up and finish.

Last edited:
F

Farmer No1

I am using 4 x 400w hps and I have been keeping temps around 83 and humidity to a minimum. I been feeding coco nutes with a few advanced nutrients additives. Strains are gelato and birthday cake. I cant wait to see the buds properly fatten. I have 16 plants so was wondering what yield to expect? What are other people getting in coco mixes?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Nice, the Cake strains can go a long time. A buddy of mine has wedding cake that goes 11 weeks in bloom. If you can I would get your temp down a bit, to 76-78 or so, and try and keep humidity between 40-50%. lower than 40% at 83F will create a super high transpirational demand. You could maybe unplug a different light every day and rotate them so you're only running 3 at once? Light is important but not if it's a detriment to the environment.

If you cant adjust the climate keep your ppm on the low side ~300-400ppm max. And a personal suggestion, my preference, take it or leave it, but I would use the bulbs vertically with parabolic reflectors. However this might not be possible given the tent height... Grow shops really push those expensive batwing types but 400's need to be kept pretty close to the plants, and they can throw one heck of a hotspot below the bulbs when they're mounted horizontally. Hotspots+High ambient temp+low humidity usually doesnt end well.

I cant speculate on yield, but i know the cake strains yield heavy. Half pounds look
like Qp's because it's so dense and resinous. Depending on your canopy footprint and depth.. If it's in a 6x6 you could pull 2 pounds of good tops and mids plus a bunch of smaller stuff, give or take a half pound.
But that's really a rough ballpark.. It's impossible to say really. Too many factors to consider.

B

Burned Haze

I would look at defoliate method ( so your buds can get better airflow, light)
Tip is put your hand/finger over any bud on your canopy and check which fan leafs are covering what. You will be surprised a lot is being hidden (Inless genetics or they are shedding) once I started doing this, bam! No more popcorn or crappy buds ( buds and stuff in the dark = crap and are using your plants energy )

2nd thing for flowering /harvests is get a good microscope for pest analysis/scanning & bud/trich development % ( once the trich show they are 40-50% and some amber your ready for harvest, without a scope your in the blind )

F

Farmer No1

Next grow I am also wondering whether to top or reduce the veg time. Either way i need the plants to end up the correct height for the space.
I cant believe how much they have stretched - prob 3 times up and outwards too.
So topping or reduce veg time? What is best?
If i reduce veg time i am sure the light will hit the whole plant much better.
If i top I will have a bushier plant. But what will yield better?

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Next grow I am also wondering whether to top or reduce the veg time. Either way i need the plants to end up the correct height for the space.
I cant believe how much they have stretched - prob 3 times up and outwards too.
So topping or reduce veg time? What is best?
If i reduce veg time i am sure the light will hit the whole plant much better.
If i top I will have a bushier plant. But what will yield better?

For less height do both. Top them when they are very small and let them get branchy, and dont veg as long. Train them sideways and flip when the canopy is 80% full but somewhat flat. Then let the plants stretch up.

Another thing you can do to reduce stretch is keep the dark cycle temperature warmer than the lights on temp by using a small heater on a temp controller and timer for the first 2-3 weeks of flower.

F

Farmer No1

I see. Thanks good info. Its always nerve wracking working out what is best.
Here is a new close up pic. Tbh the plants look like xmas trees, so judging by size of the buds atm, not sure if the yield will be great. I am hoping for the best quality and yield. Will post the finished product once done.

IMG 0618
F

Farmer No1

@Dirtbag Almost in 8th week but I been noticing something weird. The run off is always around EC1.0/1.2 and ph is stable. Nutes are EC0.7. Even when nutes were EC 0.2 runoff is always high EC. Any ideas?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
@Dirtbag Almost in 8th week but I been noticing something weird. The run off is always around EC1.0/1.2 and ph is stable. Nutes are EC0.7. Even when nutes were EC 0.2 runoff is always high EC. Any ideas?

I see my quote is different than your post, but either way; Perfectly normal and what you want to see. I like my runoff to come out 3-5 points higher than ppm going in. If it goes in 1.3 and comes out 1.3 you need to bump the food up. If its higher like 2.5, youd need to feed less. But runoff ppm is supposed to be a few points higher than input.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I recently started doing something I have been wanting to do for many many years.

My questions:
1. Do they look like they will yield much? as we are in week 7 and I am not sure if the yield will be good. The plants became too big for the space and next time I will stop veg and top sooner. The tent is overtaken and I cant even get in there to place more fans in. Not sure if the buds are that big though. I did have a salt build up in veg but sorted it. Growth/roots seem very good.
2. I have one plant with massive cola but leaves are going yellow and with some orange spots. All others are ok. But I think its from a build up of salts and nutes. So maybe its nothing to worry about but any advice is much appreciated.

deke22

deke22

My questions:

yer plants look ok bro,,in flower,,yer leafs will go yellow anyway,,,it,s naturall,,,as the plants use less nitrogen in flower,,and nitrogen is for leaves,,,,if you want bigger,,tighter nuggs,,then light is the way to go,,,,lumens(light)= bud,,the more lumens you can gie yer plants,,,the bigger an tighter yer nuggs will be,,also,,,you still need ti be feedin em right,,,do ya add pk 13/14?????? have ye got an ec truncheon,,,and a ph meter??? if not,,,i,d advise getting them,,ph pens ye,ll get fur 5 quid on ebay,,,,ec truncheon,,,i use a blue lab,,,pretty expensive at 60-70 buks,,,but worth every penny.
ec stands for electo conductivity,,basically how much salts are in the feed mix,,,they also have a ppm reading,,meaning parts per million,,it is a great bit o kit,,,ph pens make sure yer feed is not too acidic,,,or alkali,,theres charts ye can google and print off as guidelines,,,and theyre damn good,,but for a first grow,,,looks like yer doin well,,,i hope yer keepin a good eye on everything,,,you should,,,and take heed o wots goin on,,,so yer grows will just get better and better,,,,,it,s also better to add less nutes ti start wi,,,it,s easier ti add nutes,,than to have to flush to remove em,,trusts me on that un,,,i,ve had to do it,,,sittin wi plants in the bath,,,pourin water in the coco to remove the nutes from the coco,,,it,s a real pain,,so add less,,,an add more as they need,,,yer leafs are the best indicater as to wits goin on wi yer plants,,,so keep an eye on yer leafs.,,,an remeber,,,lumens = bud

deke22

deke22

I see. Thanks good info. Its always nerve wracking working out what is best.
Here is a new close up pic. Tbh the plants look like xmas trees, so judging by size of the buds atm, not sure if the yield will be great. I am hoping for the best quality and yield. Will post the finished product once done.
as for the ones that are too tall,,,just tie them ti the side,,so they are goin angular instead o straight up,,,,i generally use bamboo ti tie ma branches to,,,it opens up the plant ti light for the lower branches,,also,,,look on you tube at lollipopping,,tis a good way o growing indoors,,ye romove aw the bottom shit that produces wee shitty popcorn bud,,lettin the plant concetrate an put it,s energy into the bigger top buds,,,,you tube is great fur advice,,,bu nuthin beats hands on expirience,,and patience is the key to growing,,,a lot o patience,,,,peace bro ;-}_,

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
Helluva grow for your first whack at it man! Congrats on being born with a green thumb! :cool:

P

Pass2TheLeft

Very nice for 1st go.your 400w hps have very low penetration into the canopy my advice to you would be to grow less plants and pull them over this will reduce the stretch and your plants will grow more flowers.the lower you grow your plants the better the light penetration so the bottom of your plants will grow as good as your tops ;)

deke22

deke22

Very nice for 1st go.your 400w hps have very low penetration into the canopy my advice to you would be to grow less plants and pull them over this will reduce the stretch and your plants will grow more flowers.the lower you grow your plants the better the light penetration so the bottom of your plants will grow as good as your tops ;)
you could alao lollipop ur plants,,,this just means pruning the bottom branches an leafs,,,so the light disnae need ti go doon too far,,,but ye,d need ti practice that,,if ye top aswell,,lollipoping is great wen ye top also,,,and use bamboo or summit ti tie yer branches oot so the light can get in aboot yer plants,,,,,,but as pass2theleft said....ye,ll need ti grow less plants an bemd em over,,,stop em burning

P

Pass2TheLeft

you could alao lollipop ur plants,,,this just means pruning the bottom branches an leafs,,,so the light disnae need ti go doon too far,,,but ye,d need ti practice that,,if ye top aswell,,lollipoping is great wen ye top also,,,and use bamboo or summit ti tie yer branches oot so the light can get in aboot yer plants,,,,,,but as pass2theleft said....ye,ll need ti grow less plants an bemd em over,,,stop em burning
Im not a fan of defoliateing or lollipopping i think of leaves like batterys for storing energy to finish my plants during the fade heres 6 plants at turn down after 6 weeks veg

20190402 084546
P

Pass2TheLeft

The key is to keep your plants short lights only penetrate around 1 foot into the canopy these plants are 1 foot high by 5 by 5 foot wide i super crop and lst to keep them this tall that way all the fliwers grow well

Top Bottom