My baby is sick.. I think?

• Thread starter Subaru2k13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Subaru2k13

Subaru2k13

So this now my 4th go with the same exact seeds. They're a cross between white widow and Northern lights(at least that's what I was told lol). Have had pretty great success, dealt with a few issues, but learned a lot in the process. But this one has me stumped. All the tips have curled down, even some of the fan leaves have started to curl in. So I immediately thought too much nitrogen. Been using Fox Farm Happy Frog soil throughout all my grows. Use the fox farm trio for nutes. I didn't start giving this plant nutes until maybe a week before flipping the lights to 12:12. Have flushed it a few times now, have been using tap water throughout all my grows as well, sits around 5.8-6.0 for pH. But seems like it's been getting worse as all the newer growth has turned yellowish. Read on a different forum, someone said to flush with 25% of the normal amount of nutes given. They said it would help with cal-mag lockout, or too much cal-mag. Before that I did try to flush with just regular water, but seems Everytime I go to check it, more leaves are curling in. Not really sure where to go from here. The funny thing is, I had two growing until one ended up being male. I still have that plant in a completely different room(not even under a light, been going back and forth about keeping it just to get more seeds since the end result has been great so far) and looks completely fine.. was in the same tent, same watering/feeding schedule, same amount of nutes, same soil, etc. Will post pics, will clearly see the difference between the male and female that is struggling currently. Just puzzled. Tempted to just cut my loss and go on with the male since it's doing great, but as you all know, I'm sure, getting rid of these plants is always hard lol. Currentlly growing in a 2*2*4 tent, with a 600 watt LED light. Temps always stay around 76-80 and always has a fan running to keep leaves moving. Any input would be great, thank you in advance!(first three pics are the female, rest are the male. Had them out to get better pictures(on completely different days and after wiping down entire area to prevent any sort of cross contamination with pollen))

My baby is sick i think
My baby is sick i think 2
My baby is sick i think 3
My baby is sick i think 4
My baby is sick i think 5
My baby is sick i think 6
Subaru2k13

Subaru2k13

Should also add, I doubt it's too much light as I still have a good amount of space between light and plant. And my last three have grown too be taller than this by almost half a foot.. am always pretty strict about keeping to a schedule with watering/feeding. Have stuck to the same numbers throughout all my grows, I always try to stay on the lighter side with nutes unless showing they need more. Definitely don't claim to know everything lol, just very odd that just this one plant has done this, and even the one that grew next to it hasn't shown any sort of issues like this one has. Water every 3/4 days, depending on how the plant is doing. Always let run off drain, also run off has been around 500ppm when not given nutes, and around 900ishppm after getting nutes. Just trying to cover all my bases and give as much info as possible. Really don't wanna just toss the plant, but also don't have a ton of room. Would rather get a bunch of seeds of the same strain, than some crappy bud from a plant that's not doing well. Thanks again!

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

That pot looks too small to me as well. Agree she looks like the roots may be drowning. I don't know if it is too late to move her to a bigger pot since she already bloomed, worth looking into I suspect.

HighRootz

HighRootz

I agree, too much water in such a small pot. I would let the soil dry out completely then transplant her into a pot twice as wide as her canopy so she has room to finish. There are nutrients and beneficial fungi that help with transplant shock

Mugwort

Mugwort

Should also add, I doubt it's too much light as I still have a good amount of space between light and plant. And my last three have grown too be taller than this by almost half a foot.. am always pretty strict about keeping to a schedule with watering/feeding. Have stuck to the same numbers throughout all my grows, I always try to stay on the lighter side with nutes unless showing they need more. Definitely don't claim to know everything lol, just very odd that just this one plant has done this, and even the one that grew next to it hasn't shown any sort of issues like this one has. Water every 3/4 days, depending on how the plant is doing. Always let run off drain, also run off has been around 500ppm when not given nutes, and around 900ishppm after getting nutes. Just trying to cover all my bases and give as much info as possible. Really don't wanna just toss the plant, but also don't have a ton of room. Would rather get a bunch of seeds of the same strain, than some crappy bud from a plant that's not doing well. Thanks again!
Have you checked pH of runoff?

Subaru2k13

Subaru2k13

Looks like overwatering caused lockout. Keep pots elevated off ground and really pay attention to wet/dry cycle, watering on a schedule has been the downfall of many.
Ive been pretty careful about over watering, I've killed quite a few plants before by overwatering. With these I've always wanted until the pots actually dry to water them. I've checked pH of run off and the highest it's gotten is to 7.2 but that was a few weeks ago, since then it's been stable at around 6.4-6.8. It's just weird to me that this plants doing this. I've grown quite a few plants already that ended up bigger than this one and used the exact same pots. I guess I could've just got lucky with the past ones🤷🏻‍♂️ but since I posted this I've been really paying close attention to this particular plant, it seemed to get a little better after I flushed it with 25% nutes a few weeks back. All the "sugar leaves" looked fine up until just these last few days. Now even they are starting to claw. I tried to make sure the plant didn't get too big because I don't have a bigger pot(I'm slackin, I know lmao) but that flowering stretch seemed to have just gone on forever lol. It ended up stretching wayyyy more than it was supposed to. My last few runs with these seeds was no where near as troublesome as this particular plant has been. Just seems to have a complete mind of its own. Since I posted this, I also moved it into a bigger space(was in my 2*2*4 tent), turned one of my closets into a grow area, so space isn't a problem anymore. But will def keep a close eye on her. Really hope the buds turn out alright despite all the issues I've had

DismalDude

DismalDude

I'd back off on the feedings a bit. Looks like Nitrogen toxicity in my opinion.

Subaru2k13

Subaru2k13

I'd back off on the feedings a bit. Looks like Nitrogen toxicity in my opinion.
I'm still not really sure that's the case either, unless that particular pot of soil was "too hot" because it started to show signs of this issue even after I transplanted it when it outgrew the solo cup. Don't get me wrong, I'm farrr from a professional lol and not saying you're wrong by any means. Just really strange to me. It wouldve made sense if this happened over just the last few weeks or towards the end of veg. Then I'd agree with a lot of the posts above about it being in too small of a pot. I didn't even really start giving it nutes up until about two weeks before flower. And even now, when I do give it nutes, it's on the lighter side. I've been convinced it's some sort of lockout or deficiency. But now it's well into flower(maybe two or three weeks left) and has most definitely outgrown the pot it's in. It was never supposed to get as big as it is lol, thought I flipped the lights early enough to prepare for the flowering stretch. Guess not lol. But it got the exact same treatment as the one that ended up male(same soil, same exact pot, same nutes, everything) and the male still hasn't shown any sort of clawing whatsoever(and don't worry, they're in two completely separate areas, even water them in separate areas as well lol). Just really confusing. Hopefully the bud turns out okay, it's been showing a little less of the clawing. Always something to be learned in this hobby!

Subaru2k13

Subaru2k13

Just in case you guys thought the pot was too small with the original pics..😂 I swear it just won't stop stretching lol. But these were taken last Friday. Really wanted to transplant into a bigger pot but ran out of soil and am currently waiting on more. That and I also was afraid of it ruining the plant by transplanting this late into flower. Just letting it do its thing at this point. Just staying on top of watering/feeding. It goes dry now every 3-5 days, but am always very careful with making sure the run off, actually goes down the drain so it's not being overwatered or drowning in it. Definitely still have a lot to learn tho, crazy how my first two grows have gone 10x better than this one😂

20210916 214118
20210916 214128
DrStadanko

DrStadanko

So this now my 4th go with the same exact seeds. They're a cross between white widow and Northern lights(at least that's what I was told lol). Have had pretty great success, dealt with a few issues, but learned a lot in the process. But this one has me stumped. All the tips have curled down, even some of the fan leaves have started to curl in. So I immediately thought too much nitrogen. Been using Fox Farm Happy Frog soil throughout all my grows. Use the fox farm trio for nutes. I didn't start giving this plant nutes until maybe a week before flipping the lights to 12:12. Have flushed it a few times now, have been using tap water throughout all my grows as well, sits around 5.8-6.0 for pH. But seems like it's been getting worse as all the newer growth has turned yellowish. Read on a different forum, someone said to flush with 25% of the normal amount of nutes given. They said it would help with cal-mag lockout, or too much cal-mag. Before that I did try to flush with just regular water, but seems Everytime I go to check it, more leaves are curling in. Not really sure where to go from here. The funny thing is, I had two growing until one ended up being male. I still have that plant in a completely different room(not even under a light, been going back and forth about keeping it just to get more seeds since the end result has been great so far) and looks completely fine.. was in the same tent, same watering/feeding schedule, same amount of nutes, same soil, etc. Will post pics, will clearly see the difference between the male and female that is struggling currently. Just puzzled. Tempted to just cut my loss and go on with the male since it's doing great, but as you all know, I'm sure, getting rid of these plants is always hard lol. Currentlly growing in a 2*2*4 tent, with a 600 watt LED light. Temps always stay around 76-80 and always has a fan running to keep leaves moving. Any input would be great, thank you in advance!(first three pics are the female, rest are the male. Had them out to get better pictures(on completely different days and after wiping down entire area to prevent any sort of cross contamination with pollen))
Hi , First and foremost you need a larger pots, your plant will thrive, also there is no need to stress the plants out
by doing to many flushes so repot in larger pots, your buds will triple. in size. I only flush after 8th week of Flower, then only if the trichomes are right
your need to watch closely look for cloudy and amber trichomes,

Subaru2k13

Subaru2k13

Hi , First and foremost you need a larger pots, your plant will thrive, also there is no need to stress the plants out
by doing to many flushes so repot in larger pots, your buds will triple. in size. I only flush after 8th week of Flower, then only if the trichomes are right
your need to watch closely look for cloudy and amber trichomes,
I honestly never thought about flushing it too many times and causing the plant unnecessary stress.. I always assumed you were supposed to flush it every so often to prevent build up or some sort of lockout. Good to know! I did end up flushing it little over a week ago as I'm preparing to cut it down this weekend. Am definitely going to invest in bigger pots. Like I said, I really never intended for this plant to grow as big as it did lol. My last one I grew completely from start to finish in my tent that's only 4' tall. But this one outgrew it within maybe the first week of flower, and that was with anticipating the flower stretch lol. Thought I had caught it early enough, but I guess not. Debated quite heavily on whether or not to transplant it throughout it's flowering cycle but was always too worried about ruining it by doing so this late in its cycle. But will definitely not make this mistake again! Bigger pots from here on out!
As I said, I'm planning on chopping it down this weekend. One of the very top buds actually ended up falling over I noticed today when checking on it. Decided to just take the bus and trim it up and must say, despite all of the issues I had it still came out pretty dang good! Not too "airy" very dense with a beautiful smell. Can definitely tell the plant needed for room to stretch its legs, but am still happy/quite surprised at the results! Few weeks of drying/curing to go, very excited to give it a try! **Side note** don't mind all the incredibly dried out, ugly leaves.. maaayyy have forgotten to water it for a few days...🤦‍♂️😂

20211007 232328
20211007 231740 HDR
20211007 231751 HDR
Mrb53

Mrb53

from the original post, last 3 are MALES.....I do see tip burn so something is up with the nutes
Pots are not too small. If that were the case, all us solo and 1 gal growers would ALWAYS BE IN TROUBLE. You can get rootbound but there are tricks to overcome. Use cloth bags, no more rootbound or overwater issues. Insert a blade around the edge of the container to trim roots. If you were rootbound, you would see them coming out the bottom drain holes
The plant shows watering issue for sure, under / over -almost same result but the hooked tips pointing down is a major sign of overwater.
ph runoff higher than what goes in is the sign of salt buildup. I feed 2 x , clear water 1, repeat. I do not feed until first sign of flowering as HF, FF all have enough nutes to carry plant until then. I do amend with some azomite, dolomite (lime), mag (epson salts - both soil bound and FOLIAR), molasses once a week.
Sometimes I think it is just the STRAIN/GENUS. I have Acapulco gold in a tent, 5 gal bag, looks exactly like yours. Thin leaves, drooping, tips down. Same soil and same feeding and same tent as: GDP, GDP/GG4, GSC auto, 3 Gold Leaf auto...not one of the the plants has this condition yet none are as sativa based as the AG...and her strength is kickass. Frosty buds like a winter freeze. I do lower my temps and try to keep between 70-74F (they can go up to 80f when someone closes the door to the closet) and they do NOT LIKE THAT. I think at that temp you would want co2. As I get later in flower, I try to lower the temps, especially at night...I add ice cubes to soil to lower the soil temp and increase dark time to eventually reach 14-16 hrs, that mimics winter and the terpes and trikes deveop big time. Do not be afraid to let them dry to the point they droop a little, the rebound is a praying plant. We watch close enough to prevent real damage as tent growers almost live in their grow at times.

Mugwort

Mugwort

I honestly never thought about flushing it too many times and causing the plant unnecessary stress.. I always assumed you were supposed to flush it every so often to prevent build up or some sort of lockout. Good to know! I did end up flushing it little over a week ago as I'm preparing to cut it down this weekend. Am definitely going to invest in bigger pots. Like I said, I really never intended for this plant to grow as big as it did lol. My last one I grew completely from start to finish in my tent that's only 4' tall. But this one outgrew it within maybe the first week of flower, and that was with anticipating the flower stretch lol. Thought I had caught it early enough, but I guess not. Debated quite heavily on whether or not to transplant it throughout it's flowering cycle but was always too worried about ruining it by doing so this late in its cycle. But will definitely not make this mistake again! Bigger pots from here on out!
As I said, I'm planning on chopping it down this weekend. One of the very top buds actually ended up falling over I noticed today when checking on it. Decided to just take the bus and trim it up and must say, despite all of the issues I had it still came out pretty dang good! Not too "airy" very dense with a beautiful smell. Can definitely tell the plant needed for room to stretch its legs, but am still happy/quite surprised at the results! Few weeks of drying/curing to go, very excited to give it a try! **Side note** don't mind all the incredibly dried out, ugly leaves.. maaayyy have forgotten to water it for a few days...🤦‍♂️😂
Introduce yourself to using a SCROG net!

Btonyb

Btonyb

I think your over thinking it. Let it grow the tips are a telltale sign but yours look good. Id dont see what you mean judging by pics!

Subaru2k13

Subaru2k13

from the original post, last 3 are MALES.....I do see tip burn so something is up with the nutes
Pots are not too small. If that were the case, all us solo and 1 gal growers would ALWAYS BE IN TROUBLE. You can get rootbound but there are tricks to overcome. Use cloth bags, no more rootbound or overwater issues. Insert a blade around the edge of the container to trim roots. If you were rootbound, you would see them coming out the bottom drain holes
The plant shows watering issue for sure, under / over -almost same result but the hooked tips pointing down is a major sign of overwater.
ph runoff higher than what goes in is the sign of salt buildup. I feed 2 x , clear water 1, repeat. I do not feed until first sign of flowering as HF, FF all have enough nutes to carry plant until then. I do amend with some azomite, dolomite (lime), mag (epson salts - both soil bound and FOLIAR), molasses once a week.
Sometimes I think it is just the STRAIN/GENUS. I have Acapulco gold in a tent, 5 gal bag, looks exactly like yours. Thin leaves, drooping, tips down. Same soil and same feeding and same tent as: GDP, GDP/GG4, GSC auto, 3 Gold Leaf auto...not one of the the plants has this condition yet none are as sativa based as the AG...and her strength is kickass. Frosty buds like a winter freeze. I do lower my temps and try to keep between 70-74F (they can go up to 80f when someone closes the door to the closet) and they do NOT LIKE THAT. I think at that temp you would want co2. As I get later in flower, I try to lower the temps, especially at night...I add ice cubes to soil to lower the soil temp and increase dark time to eventually reach 14-16 hrs, that mimics winter and the terpes and trikes deveop big time. Do not be afraid to let them dry to the point they droop a little, the rebound is a praying plant. We watch close enough to prevent real damage as tent growers almost live in their grow at times.
Yea I posted the other pics of the male to show the difference in how the plants grew. The male got the exact same treatment as the female did and didn't show any sort of burnt tips, which was originally what was throwing me off. Same amount nutes, same soil, even exact same pots. I kept thinking nute burn since that's what pretty much every website will say about the tips curling like that. So tried flushing it, stayed light on the nutes(honestly I think that plant maybe got all of 4 or 5 nute feeds altogether.. and just about all of them were pretty light on nutes) but got somewhat better towards the end of flower. Was just a weird case all around. My last few batches were about the same size and all ended their flowering cycles in the exact same pots as these. And never had the whole "clawing" issue with any of them. Always something to be learned tho!

Subaru2k13

Subaru2k13

Introduce yourself to using a SCROG net!
Most definitely going to get one. My previous grows I stayed on top of tying branches over and keeping the plants height in check. But this one.. seriously acted like it had a mind of its own😂 would go to water it, tell myself I'd tie branches down the next day and would get wicked busy with work so I'd forget for a few days. And then go back to see it stretched like crazy lol. But definitely wanna invest in a net, even to just add support to the branches. But I know I could definitely increase my yield quite a bit by making better use of the space

Subaru2k13

Subaru2k13

Just to share the end results.. ended up with way too long of branches and definitely had my hands full with tops of branches falling over due to the bud sizes. But still ended up with a better yield than my last round, and bud sizes ended up bigger than any of my previous grows! Was quite proud of the bigger buds😂

20211008 211614
20211007 231902
20211007 232346
S

sshortguy1

Looks like overwatering caused lockout. Keep pots elevated off ground and really pay attention to wet/dry cycle, watering on a schedule has been the downfall of many.
Overwatering is a lot of people's problem, with my experience my plants tells me they need watering the very 1st plant I waited every 3 days to water till it has gotten around 4 feet tall then I was forced to flower it, then met my wife that owns several nurseries told me to get your s**t legal & I'll let me grow them, I spent a lot of cash into this now, not like I did 30 yrs ago with a small hid light with a single plant, you learn a lot by reading, seriously 30 yrs ago I bought a book called Ed Rosenthal's marijuana grower's guide, it shows issues with plants & how to correct them, sometimes I reread parts of it when it came to pinching, etc, 1 thing I noticed when I planted my 1st 1 I used miracle grow never had to add anything but water till the flowering cycle & then they really didn't need any like my wife told me the topic of it is planting & watering it & letting nature take care of the rest

S

sshortguy1

Just to share the end results.. ended up with way too long of branches and definitely had my hands full with tops of branches falling over due to the bud sizes. But still ended up with a better yield than my last round, and bud sizes ended up bigger than any of my previous grows! Was quite proud of the bigger buds😂
looked like you kind of ruined your yield on those branches way too bare, I'll show you some beauties in about a month, why so small I can understand if it was an Indica but Sativas like to grow nice & tall not 1 Sativa I haven't reached 3 feet tall, my very 1st 1 got me a little nervous gotten pretty tall in the closet in an apt with a state cop across the parking lot living in those townhouses back in 91 now I'm legal & I own my own house ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited:
Top Bottom