My best guess is calcium toxicity?

• Thread starter Cashmeh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Jack Herer fast from seedsman. Videos are of a leaf I took off the plant in the last video. This plant is growing stupid fast. So this could be a calcium deff, but I use aquarium strips to test my hardness and its always over 100ppms of calcium. . always. . i switched from calmag to athenas version cause it has less calcium in it.

Ppms are around 800, ph 5.6, res temps 72. . 600w HPS in a 4x4 rdwc.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I don't see anything on the plant except the bottom, but you will get much better responses with stills.

These leaves are from the bottom where you got a bunch of dead stuff that needs to get out of there immediately? Like at 37 seconds?

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I don't see anything on the plant except the bottom, but you will get much better responses with stills.

These leaves are from the bottom where you got a bunch of dead stuff that needs to get out of there immediately? Like at 37 seconds?
Do you see the 3 videos? I took a leaf off and videod it. .

And yea Im not too clean about things. I still dont think its pests though cause none of my other plants have it. . and ive had this issue before. I can veg all day without seeing it. . but once i go deep flower i see it. Im sure now its calcium deff. . but Idk lol. . it i knew id have had it fixed by now :(

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Screenshot 20220901 174259
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I'm saying I could not see any symptoms in the overall plant video. I can't tell where you took the leaves from that show the symptom? At the bottom? If so get your scissors out and clean those plants up at the bottom. IF this is new growth its a different problem.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I'm saying I could not see any symptoms in the overall plant video. I can't tell where you took the leaves from that show the symptom? At the bottom? If so get your scissors out and clean those plants up at the bottom. IF this is new growth its a different problem.
Yea those are up top. Not new growth down low and not really new growth up top. The light makes it hard to get close ups. So that was one of the uppermost fan leafs. . yes its old. . but its up high with nothing covering it.

The small leafs that come out of the upper nodes are great. . but the larger leafs next to it are all looking like this. It gets worse and worse. . mind you I dont do res changes either. Batch is 28 days old and clear with slightly tinted roots no slime. Im quite positive my issues lies with my ratios. Basically if its a defficiency im good. . if its a toxcicity im not good lol. . that would make me do a res change.

Im quite sure the problem slows when I add calmag. . but only for like a day. . but my hardness climbs so high that i cant keep adding calmag. Like could this be a deffeciency that the calmag is fixing but for only like a day. IDk its drinking alot and growing fast so it could be a deff. . idk man. . its just wild cause its not all the plants.

And honestly in regards to some leafs falling in my pot. . lol it dont matter. . my system digests everything. Now if its causing bugs yea ill clean it. .but generally the only bugs I find in there are dead flys and lightning bugs. And its been a whileeee since then. I dont think bugs like it in there honestly. But again im not worried about a little organic matter getting in my pot. .it happens a lot honestly. Im more worried about the upper leafs :(

Anthem

Anthem

How far into flower are you?
I only ask because the need for calcium decreases as the plants continues into flower. End of veg and thru stretch is when the plants needs the most Calcium

Anthem

Anthem

Which Athena products and line are you running? I ran the pro line for 16 months, I am familiar with that look. In my experience the calcium def will show it self near the top of the plant. Not the very top but in leaves about 15 down from the top.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

How far into flower are you?
I only ask because the need for calcium decreases as the plants continues into flower. End of veg and thru stretch is when the plants needs the most Calcium
Day 28
Which Athena products and line are you running? I ran the pro line for 16 months, I am familiar with that look. In my experience the calcium def will show it self near the top of the plant. Not the very top but in leaves about 15 down from the top.
I run flora trio, calmag, massive and hydroguard. I just switched out my calmag to athenas CAMG. I still have the other calmag also, just not using it. I thought it was calcium toxcicity, so i switched to athenas cause it had more mag and less calcium.
I only say its not a calcium deff cause my hardness is always over 100ppms, according to my test strips, and when I make my batch its lower, max I can test is 100ppms with these strips. Lets just say the hardness gets higher and higher as the grow goes. . ive never had it actually lower.
I dont run my res like most others either, so this could be something unique to me. If this were a coco drip what would you suggest the issue is? Basically it cant be over or under watering cause its active hydro with great res airration. idk im stumped. But if calcium demand decreases, as it becomes later in flower, and my calcium levels increase. . what other deff could this be. I am about tempted to do a res change, but honestly the ppms are now at 1000ppm, and when I add the 15 gallons of Ro water to the res, im prolly at 500 to 600ppms. Then I will top off with nutrients back up to 1000ppms. This problem stopps getting worse for about 24hrs, then boom its back. I dont add nutrients or water but once every 3 or 4 days. All my other plants do great, this is only the second plant ive seen do it. One time I had 4 plants in the same hydro system, and only 1 of them did this. .its weird man I tell ya that much

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Let me also add that my PH does start falling. This could be calcium lockout? Ill go test it here in a bit, but generally before I top off it goes from like 5.9 down to 5.2 or even 5.0. Im sure its ph right now is at 5.0, and ill add 15 gallon of Ro, a shot of micro, a shot of calmag, and a shot of massive/flora bloom. I dont use alot of the flora grow during flower, but again no issues with other plants. Im thinking certain strains have different demands, so while my others do ok at ph 5, this dont. Ill get some more info in about an hour. not ready to top off 3 systems and add nutrients, I just walked in the door.

Anthem

Anthem

Day 28

I run flora trio, calmag, massive and hydroguard. I just switched out my calmag to athenas CAMG. I still have the other calmag also, just not using it. I thought it was calcium toxcicity, so i switched to athenas cause it had more mag and less calcium.
I only say its not a calcium deff cause my hardness is always over 100ppms, according to my test strips, and when I make my batch its lower, max I can test is 100ppms with these strips. Lets just say the hardness gets higher and higher as the grow goes. . ive never had it actually lower.
I dont run my res like most others either, so this could be something unique to me. If this were a coco drip what would you suggest the issue is? Basically it cant be over or under watering cause its active hydro with great res airration. idk im stumped. But if calcium demand decreases, as it becomes later in flower, and my calcium levels increase. . what other deff could this be. I am about tempted to do a res change, but honestly the ppms are now at 1000ppm, and when I add the 15 gallons of Ro water to the res, im prolly at 500 to 600ppms. Then I will top off with nutrients back up to 1000ppms. This problem stopps getting worse for about 24hrs, then boom its back. I dont add nutrients or water but once every 3 or 4 days. All my other plants do great, this is only the second plant ive seen do it. One time I had 4 plants in the same hydro system, and only 1 of them did this. .its weird man I tell ya that much
You have kind answered your own questions.
#1. You switched to a product with lease Calcium and the problem showed up. I do not know when you switched to the Athena cal mag but as I mentioned demand is at peak in early flower and starts to fall after really week 2.
#2. You mentioned the plants will look better after a rez change or top off. So they are getting more Calcium again.
It is a calcium Def for sure
If you want to fix it drain and reload with the old cal mag. The leafs with spots will eventually die off.
If you choose to do nothing the plant will eventually quit robbing fan leaves of Calcium because the demand is going down. Someone is going to come in gear and say Calcium is not mobs but if you dig far enough you will find it is semi mobile. I believe that is why it occurs near the bud sitrs

Anthem

Anthem

Let me also add that my PH does start falling. This could be calcium lockout? Ill go test it here in a bit, but generally before I top off it goes from like 5.9 down to 5.2 or even 5.0. Im sure its ph right now is at 5.0, and ill add 15 gallon of Ro, a shot of micro, a shot of calmag, and a shot of massive/flora bloom. I dont use alot of the flora grow during flower, but again no issues with other plants. Im thinking certain strains have different demands, so while my others do ok at ph 5, this dont. Ill get some more info in about an hour. not ready to top off 3 systems and add nutrients, I just walked in the door.
If you PH is falling that is usually a sign of too lower of PPM mixture. Also once it falls in the low 5 numerous macro and micro nutrient uptake starts to drop off. If anything you want your PH to stay the same or rise slightly.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

You have kind answered your own questions.
#1. You switched to a product with lease Calcium and the problem showed up. I do not know when you switched to the Athena cal mag but as I mentioned demand is at peak in early flower and starts to fall after really week 2.
#2. You mentioned the plants will look better after a rez change or top off. So they are getting more Calcium again.
It is a calcium Def for sure
If you want to fix it drain and reload with the old cal mag. The leafs with spots will eventually die off.
If you choose to do nothing the plant will eventually quit robbing fan leaves of Calcium because the demand is going down. Someone is going to come in gear and say Calcium is not mobs but if you dig far enough you will find it is semi mobile. I believe that is why it occurs near the bud sitrs
agree with 2 and 3, but for 1, I had this probem with calmag, and it has a higher amount of calcium in it than what im using now. I switched thinking it will get better, but your right as im talking it only made the situation worse :(
so possible soultions are 1/2 res change now, before top off, keeping ph STABLE above 5.5, and using more calmag than I am. I will admit I dont add alot of it through out the grow. I do use more of it than my micro though. . idk man. I appriciate you telling its calcium related. I guess last question, if we could pick 1 other nutrient, what would it be? Like I love second guessing people not because I dont believe them, just I needed more info lol. Im 99% sure your correct, I doubt its ph lockout either cause calcium is more aavailable at 5.0 than 5.5. . unlike say sulfer, it becomes less available as ph drops.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

If you PH is falling that is usually a sign of too lower of PPM mixture. Also once it falls in the low 5 numerous macro and micro nutrient uptake starts to drop off. If anything you want your PH to stay the same or rise slightly.
Its generally pretty stable, like I have 0 alkalinity in my system and it slowly raises, once I do the top off and buffer it up a bit. I go through quite a bit of ph up and calmag too, when compared to say the micro. Id say im using more calmag than I am micro if were talking per gallon over the months on multiple grows. Perhaps this herer fasts demands higher amounts than my others. Idk but when I go in there, imma fuck with it, and imma stay on that one plant every other day at least. I have 30 gallons for 1 plant water capacity so its usually stable, even with 0 alkalinity. I need alkalinity but I dont like silica in my res. I always get a film over the top of some slime or oil or something. No more since I quit using that though. . anyways. ..sorry to rant

Anthem

Anthem

Its generally pretty stable, like I have 0 alkalinity in my system and it slowly raises, once I do the top off and buffer it up a bit. I go through quite a bit of ph up and calmag too, when compared to say the micro. Id say im using more calmag than I am micro if were talking per gallon over the months on multiple grows. Perhaps this herer fasts demands higher amounts than my others. Idk but when I go in there, imma fuck with it, and imma stay on that one plant every other day at least. I have 30 gallons for 1 plant water capacity so its usually stable, even with 0 alkalinity. I need alkalinity but I dont like silica in my res. I always get a film over the top of some slime or oil or something. No more since I quit using that though. . anyways. ..sorry to rant
I am not following you. Zero Alkalinity? If you have PHed everything properly you should be at 5.8 in hydro. I know you are trying to do your own thing so I might not be understanding some of your thoughts. I would just quit trying to reinvent the wheel and use that Ballin on a Budget recipe because it works. Is about as cheap as it gets
Silica comes in so many forms. In hydro the best IMO is mono silic Acid. I use the shit out of it. No bio film. Just be aware it is expensive. Hands down better than pot ash. You can run a pot ash with bio’s it just takes a long time to break it down and make it available to the plant

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I am not following you. Zero Alkalinity? If you have PHed everything properly you should be at 5.8 in hydro. I know you are trying to do your own thing so I might not be understanding some of your thoughts. I would just quit trying to reinvent the wheel and use that Ballin on a Budget recipe because it works. Is about as cheap as it gets
Silica comes in so many forms. In hydro the best IMO is mono silic Acid. I use the shit out of it. No bio film. Just be aware it is expensive. Hands down better than pot ash. You can run a pot ash with bio’s it just takes a long time to break it down and make it available to the plant
I use aquarium test strips that give me ppm numbers on Nitrate, Nitrite, Calcium, Alkalinity, and ph. I use my ph meter for testing ph though. When I test my batches, My calcium ppms are over 100, and my alkalinity ppms are under 20ppms always, usually they dont even register on the strip.
Ive looked into recipe changes, but im thinking its just my lack of management. So I have 0 issues for the first 3 months, yet once my roots gain mass, even a 30 gallon capaacity needs to be ajusted sooner than my 3 day average now.

Anthem

Anthem

I use aquarium test strips that give me ppm numbers on Nitrate, Nitrite, Calcium, Alkalinity, and ph. I use my ph meter for testing ph though. When I test my batches, My calcium ppms are over 100, and my alkalinity ppms are under 20ppms always, usually they dont even register on the strip.
Ive looked into recipe changes, but im thinking its just my lack of management. So I have 0 issues for the first 3 months, yet once my roots gain mass, even a 30 gallon capaacity needs to be ajusted sooner than my 3 day average now.
I took the time to look up the aquarium test strips. I assumed you have the 5 in one test strips that test
#1 water Hardness. This is the amount of calcium and Magnesium in the water. Which is some what useless because we need the content of each separated because these elements are antagonist with each other
KH tests for buffering capacity of water. Carbonates and bicarbonates
No1 tests for ammonia in water
No2 tests for nitrate carbon in water
Ph tests Ph of water that one is useful.
I really do not see these as being as useful as you seem to think. But I have been wrong so many times in my life. I would like to get a second opinion from an aquarium expert. @Aqua Man can you clue me into how useful the above information is in regards to a hydro rez and can you tell me how accurate these test strips are? I read several reviews about people taking their water to the fish store and getting over values

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I took the time to look up the aquarium test strips. I assumed you have the 5 in one test strips that test
#1 water Hardness. This is the amount of calcium and Magnesium in the water. Which is some what useless because we need the content of each separated because these elements are antagonist with each other
KH tests for buffering capacity of water. Carbonates and bicarbonates
No1 tests for ammonia in water
No2 tests for nitrate carbon in water
Ph tests Ph of water that one is useful.
I really do not see these as being as useful as you seem to think. But I have been wrong so many times in my life. I would like to get a second opinion from an aquarium expert. @Aqua Man can you clue me into how useful the above information is in regards to a hydro rez and can you tell me how accurate these test strips are? I read several reviews about people taking their water to the fish store and getting over values
I have a seperate mag test titrate kit I got off amazon and phosperous ph test strips on amazon also. I dont really use them anymore. I guess I could test my mag levels lol. . its just ive only used that kit one time. . and boy did i mess it all up. My mag levels were supposedly between 10 and 20ppms. idk if I did it right though. I guess I can video the test, if I can find my phone holder. Again, I just dont like going on there. Been watching 1883 on the pc. . epic I tell ya, epic

Anthem

Anthem

I have a seperate mag test titrate kit I got off amazon and phosperous ph test strips on amazon also. I dont really use them anymore. I guess I could test my mag levels lol. . its just ive only used that kit one time. . and boy did i mess it all up. My mag levels were supposedly between 10 and 20ppms. idk if I did it right though. I guess I can video the test, if I can find my phone holder. Again, I just dont like going on there. Been watching 1883 on the pc. . epic I tell ya, epic
That is really low for Mag. Mag needs to be half of CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom