My biggest plant split in half😩

• Thread starter Gasman5.0
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gasman5.0

Gasman5.0

I just peeked in the room before the lights went off and there lay my biggest girl split down the middle. I zip tied the stalk together and packed tissue paper around the stalk and topped it off with plastic and tapped it best I could and then packed more tissue paper in the make shift funnel / bandage and soaked with water.
I have no one too blame but myself..
I’m so fucking bummed... I’ll never not properly stake my girls again.

My biggest plant split in half
My biggest plant split in half 2
My biggest plant split in half 3
My biggest plant split in half 4
Phaleg

Phaleg

Hi, I have one question and one advice for you...

Is it common use to stalk (put sticks to support I guess), the plants all the time?

The second is my advice...I belive that th ebandage was better in the "dry" version. May I ask how the soaked part could help a wound to regenerate?

airedog

airedog

Supporter
I've had that happen due to high wind outdoors, and insufficient support indoors. Velcro gardening tape is my go-to for repairs; i've also used grafting wax to seal severe splits in outdoor plants, in order to prevent insect damage at the split. They're available at most gardening centers, or, Lee Valley online.

Gasman5.0

Gasman5.0

Hi, I have one question and one advice for you...

Is it common use to stalk (put sticks to support I guess), the plants all the time?

The second is my advice...I belive that th ebandage was better in the "dry" version. May I ask how the soaked part could help a wound to regenerate?

I don’t know what’s common as for as supports nets string stakes ect.. but had I myself properly staked/supported my own plant I wouldn’t have a dying girl loaded with buds at 52 into flower.
Why I bandaged it wet verses dry idk.. in the moment my thought was if I can get it too live a few more days maybe it’ll ripen more as it slowly dies and not be a total loss so that’s why I went with the wet bandage.
Should I remove the wet patch when the lights come on this morning and just try it dry and maybe cover the repair with wax too seal it off.???
I was just shocked when I opened the door and my plant was literally split in half at the base where it was topped as a baby and it was laying on top of the other plants.
I've had that happen due to high wind outdoors, and insufficient support indoors. Velcro gardening tape is my go-to for repairs; i've also used grafting wax to seal severe splits in outdoor plants, in order to prevent insect damage at the split. They're available at most gardening centers, or, Lee Valley online.
If I can’t source grafting wax this morning which around here is very likely would something like bee’s was be substituted for just sealing it. I’m indoors in a sealed room so bugs are not an issue.
I’m open too any advice too help save this thing or stretch out its final days so I’m totally open too any suggestions.

Gasman5.0

Gasman5.0

I just order some grafting tape, it’ll be here tomorrow so I’ll remove the wet bandage here in a few minutes and just leave the zip ties till the grafting tape arrives.

Would a application of hormone or rooting paste applied inside the split help or hurt recovery.

Gasman5.0

Gasman5.0

FD79D545 FEF6 4394 A42F 9792138D9758

Removed the wetted bandage this morning and I’ll let it ride with just the zip ties in the air till tomorrow when the grafting tape come in. Should I just leave the zip ties since they are actually holding it together and just tape over them.
4DDE7851 DDE4 4201 90AB 95B51941EF46

It’s staked and supported now but it’s all bunch up looking and the buds are all laid over from the bunching up too keep the split area together and stress off of it.
It’s a wait a see game from here on I guess... Hopefully it’ll survive long enough for the tricomes
E466C7BF 50B1 4411 97BA 7EDF856CD1C9

Gasman5.0

Gasman5.0

Update.. It’s going day 4 since I found the plant split in half and she’s looking surprisingly good considering the main stem split in half. I ended up wetting the area and rubbed rooting hormone into the seam of the two halves leaving the the zip ties on and just wrapped over all it with grafting tape. Hopefully she’ll pull through and survive long enough too harvest.. my trichomes are still crystal clear at this point so time will tell but as of right now it looks promising.

6B30B3C6 12A5 4D42 83CE 70D3927EC408
AD8CC3A9 93E9 4B74 8E05 1A9FA9C359F9
B03580E9 EF8C 4011 907B 5707E8C5401F
7C8265DD 4043 436A 9330 AD4B07E0290C
Top Bottom