My Breeding Project Just Won 1st Place High Times Cup 2017

• Thread starter Cherokey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Cherokey

Interesting thoughts @Cherokey
The current political climate is my biggest obstacle but also the reason I thrive

Question what is your definition of over watering ?
Example would you water / feed every other or possible every third day based off of a hand watering 20/5gal per 1k in a 5x5 area

Hard for me to put my 2 cents in about other people's systems without being there in the middle of things. I wouldn't want to throw you off with bad data relative to your setup bro. When I go into a new grow and they ask me how often to water, I go in and get a feel for their system first and then figure out what I think is the ideal schedule. I saw one shop use 5 gal pots in dirt watering every other day religiously, without bothering to check if they needed water. Which they didn't. I got on the scene and watered once a week and it was still too much, because they chose the wrong pots and there was no air getting to the roots. So there's so many variables man. 5 gallon pots for me is way too big. I prefer to run smaller pots, and one of this biggest reasons why is so I can water more often. I want them to dry out faster. Bigger the pot the more that process lags, and the less control I have over their feeding. I found that it's best to design a system where the plants to need you more often. If they need my intervention frequently to survive, then I have the most control over them WITHOUT forcing them onto my schedule.

When I figure out a watering timing, it's pretty basic. I wait until I see they need it and water then and only then. Keep doing that as needed, keep track of what you're doing, boom, there's your rough schedule. But even then that becomes just a guideline I think. I always change things up based on their needs. Important thing is to not force the plants onto your timing. I'm trying to get on their page, not the other way around.

Oversaturation: Using more water than is necessary for the plant at any one given watering. For example, using a gallon of water on a 5" pot.

Overwatering: Means oversaturating the plant repeatedly across multiple waterings. To the point that it causes plant damage. You can't overwater a plant one time. That's oversaturating. Overwatering, is blowing it over time by watering too much. That's how I've always understood it.

zeNeTixGeNre

zeNeTixGeNre

@Cherokey thanks for the detailed response
Your answer has me thinking outside the box , which is a good thing
I'm always on the plants schedule actually my life revolves around them tbh but I love and cherish my time creating new cannabis strains and seeing what others seeds hold. The political climate and my restrictions are the only thing that holds me back at this point.
I'm interested in your thinking on some things
What nutrients do you recommend or which ones have you had experience with ?
I'm currently (last yr ) using NOTG which I really like but seldom feel foolish using so many bottles.
What's your opionion on the over priced silica acid ...ex osa28 the bottle etc (plant available ) over say a silica blast ? I've recently have been leaning away from the high ticket items as at one time I might of been adding 13/14 bottles to a 4 gal feed regime.

Have you had a chance to grow wedding cake ? And if so where would you rate it against your lemonade. I have a cultivator that is pretty special I think , and I'm just starting to spread it around a little.

C

Cherokey

@Cherokey thanks for the detailed response
Your answer has me thinking outside the box , which is a good thing
I'm always on the plants schedule actually my life revolves around them tbh but I love and cherish my time creating new cannabis strains and seeing what others seeds hold. The political climate and my restrictions are the only thing that holds me back at this point.
I'm interested in your thinking on some things
What nutrients do you recommend or which ones have you had experience with ?
I'm currently (last yr ) using NOTG which I really like but seldom feel foolish using so many bottles.
What's your opionion on the over priced silica acid ...ex osa28 the bottle etc (plant available ) over say a silica blast ? I've recently have been leaning away from the high ticket items as at one time I might of been adding 13/14 bottles to a 4 gal feed regime.

Have you had a chance to grow wedding cake ? And if so where would you rate it against your lemonade. I have a cultivator that is pretty special I think , and I'm just starting to spread it around a little.

No worries bro. I've learned a lot from this site over the years, so I am happy to pay it forward a bit. I have experience with many different nutrient lines. And even found ways to avoid the big brand names and source nutrients in a cheaper and more direct way. Like epsom salt instead of expensive hydro store magnesium, for example. Or buying microbes from the same wholesaler that Mykos and Great White buy from, instead of buying from those brands. I think it boils down to, again, what do you want? Do you want the absolute dankest stuff out there, even in a crowded scene like SoCal? Ok, go mostly organic. But kiss your yield goodbye. Want to cash in and make the most money? Ok, go full synthetic. But kiss your quality goodbye. Or find something in between, which I think is what most people arrive at after a while. Finding the sweet spot with that balance is where the real proprietary magic happens. Organics absolutely creates the best medicinal potential hands down. For the same reason that an organic apple has more nutritional content than a synthetically grown apple. So if making medicine is your goal rather than to just get high, I definitely recommend organics. That's probably more vague than you wanted, but hope it helps some.

Silica is not really mandatory, but I use it and I do recommend it. I don't recommend Silica Blast because of its high salt content. Silica strengthens cell walls and protects the plant from environmental stress. If you run a hot room, silica is your friend. Also ups your yield a bit. If you're a dirt farmer, instead of liquid silica, consider putting it in your dirt.

Haven't grown Wedding Cake. I'm on the lookout for it but I just got some new genetics so I'm not in a hurry to get more. I saw some flowers of it in LA. Absolutely full of Phosphoload. Nugs looked like bricks. I couldn't smoke it. Didn't want the carcinogens. I'm sure the genetics when grown right are great. That being said, I wouldn't trade it for the LemonAid. The bag appeal is unusually strong. Both parents were super dank in a way that complimented each other very well. I see people crossing stuff that doesn't make a lot of sense to me sometimes. Pre '98 Bubba Kush x Jack Herer comes to mind. I saw that recently. I love both strains, but in my mind those flavors don't make sense together, and medicinally it's like crossing Yin and Yang together. So I try the flowers and yeah, wasn't my favorite.

For my first stable and relatively successful breeding project, I fem crossed XXX (Pre '98 Bubba x So Cal Master Kush) to Dubtech 7 (Alien Dog Ether x Sour Double). I called it Trip 7. I wanted to keep the indicas together. Wanted that coffee-like bubba kush flavor to mix in with the hashy Sour D taste of the Dub 7. It worked and I was happy with it, but it wasn't super special. I liked the parent strains more than my hybrid, so I ditched it. I had other crosses that I did alongside the LemonAid that didn't make the cut. Like I crossed Gorilla Glue 4 to Green Dream (BD x green crack). Didn't turn out the way I hoped so I ditched it. I did a cookie cross at the same time that turned out very well.

Krypto

Krypto

Oh man...its my favorite plant!
Gonna take it out to f4 maybe.
definitely crossing it with a selected pure hindu male and maybe to the 14er Cookies since its 1/3 Stardog. I like to keep it simple fir now. And the pheno hunting is going to be fun as hell.

A

aquabig

Hard for me to put my 2 cents in about other people's systems without being there in the middle of things. I wouldn't want to throw you off with bad data relative to your setup bro. When I go into a new grow and they ask me how often to water, I go in and get a feel for their system first and then figure out what I think is the ideal schedule. I saw one shop use 5 gal pots in dirt watering every other day religiously, without bothering to check if they needed water. Which they didn't. I got on the scene and watered once a week and it was still too much, because they chose the wrong pots and there was no air getting to the roots. So there's so many variables man. 5 gallon pots for me is way too big. I prefer to run smaller pots, and one of this biggest reasons why is so I can water more often. I want them to dry out faster. Bigger the pot the more that process lags, and the less control I have over their feeding. I found that it's best to design a system where the plants to need you more often. If they need my intervention frequently to survive, then I have the most control over them WITHOUT forcing them onto my schedule.

When I figure out a watering timing, it's pretty basic. I wait until I see they need it and water then and only then. Keep doing that as needed, keep track of what you're doing, boom, there's your rough schedule. But even then that becomes just a guideline I think. I always change things up based on their needs. Important thing is to not force the plants onto your timing. I'm trying to get on their page, not the other way around.

Oversaturation: Using more water than is necessary for the plant at any one given watering. For example, using a gallon of water on a 5" pot.

Overwatering: Means oversaturating the plant repeatedly across multiple waterings. To the point that it causes plant damage. You can't overwater a plant one time. That's oversaturating. Overwatering, is blowing it over time by watering too much. That's how I've always understood it.

This was recorded in Humbolt County where 80 King's Mix bags which were semi-gusseted and purposely designed to also serve as 3cuf growing pots. This demonstration, along with others, revealed that less stress on the root system could result in greater yields by applying a low precipitation rate.

"The pulsators uniformly wet the soil from top to bottom without any saturation, channeling, or bottom leakage. This was true even after 14 hours of continuous watering on one occasion. "

View attachment MJPulsator (1).pdf
Last edited:
Top Bottom