My DIY Carbon Scrubber

• Thread starter bmvortex81
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bmvortex81

bmvortex81

Hi all i present to you my homemade carbon scrubber, mind you my parents live at my grandmas and grandpas olf farm house and the barn me and my dad converted into a garage so in other words i have alot of stuff laying around and can pretty much find anything and everything lol with that out of the way this is a version of a scrubber i found somewhere on the net.
Supply List:
2 6 inch metal coffee cans
1 4 inch by 6inchs tall or 2 4 inch soup cans, vegatable cans.. whatever can you can find that is 4 inch
2 6 inch hose clamps (i cheated and used a 3 1/2" and a 3" and put them together heh)
2 4 inch hose clamps (again i cheated and used a 2 1/2" and a 2" and put them together :cool: )
a roll of hardware cloth (it looks like chicken wire but the squares are 1/2" by 1/2")
a pack or 2 of panty hose (i only used 1 but im going to get another pair and put on)
activated charchol for however big your scrubber is goin to be (my scrubber is a 6 inch outer filter and 4 inch prefilter by 14 inchs long
Tools Needed:
tin snips
Air cutter= Click HERE to see what i mean by air grinder
Phillips screwdriver
Corded or Battery op drill
Drill Bits (whatever size you require)
Small Zipties
Silicone or Caulk and caulk gun
Measuring tape
LOTS OF BEER OR THE GREEN MEDICINE :D because there will be this--->:banghead: and this :facepalm: rofl
Now on to the fun part, first decide on how big of a filter you need Click HERE and scroll down to page 3 Plus this is what i used as a genral guideline to build my scrubber alot of very informative info in there!!!
Once you have the size you need we are gonna move on to building, NOTE if you need a diff size for your room then just replace my 6 inch and 4 inch cans with whatever size you need.
Step 1) in my case i took the 4 inch by 6 inch tall can measured up 2 inchs from the bottom****CAUTION WHEN THE TIN CANS ARE CUT THEY ARE EXTREMELY SHARP AND WILL SLICE YOU OPEN WITHOUT EVEN TRYING PLEASE USE EXTREME CAUTION AS I AM NOT RESPONSEBALE FOR YOUR INJURY****** (if it helps when i cut my cans i used a table grinder with a wire wheel on it and it dulled the edges out pretty good so they wernt as sharp I STRONGLY URGE YOU TO NOT USE A REGULAR GRINDING WHEEL AS IT WILL NOT DULL THE EDGES BUT MAKE THEM SHARPER!!!!!!) PLEASE USE COMMON SENSE FARMERS!!!!!!!! and cut it off with my air grinder so i had the 2X4 inch piece and also a 4X4 inch piece now my scrubber was 14 inchs long so i took and wrapped the hardware cloth around my 4 inch peice with an inch overlap and made a nip so i knew where to cut and cut it all the way across. then i measured my 14 inchs long and cut it so it was 5 inchs by 14 inchs. Still With me? i know it seems confusing and if you are attempting this and get stuck dont hesitate to ask me for a hand i will help the best i can :finger:
Now take your 4 inch clamp and slide it onto your hardware cloth so it gives you a cylinder shape to work with when trying to put in your 4 inch end cap (the 2 inch peice you cut off the bottom of the can) Your hardware cloth goes on the outside of your can, so when your cap is in snug up your clamp, NOTE be sure not to crank the clamp down as they will easily strip then you will need another clamp, i had pushed the cap in till it was even with the hardware cloth. Now take the other half of your can (the 4 inch peice) and slide it into the hardware cloth about an inch or so and snug up that clamp again takeing care not to strip it o_O and you should come out with sumpin that looks like the second picture down
now when you snug up your clamps it will kinda like "bubble" up in the middle this is where your lil zipties come in, throw in like 3 or 4 of them bad boys to make it level and not bubble http://i1086.invalid.com/albums/j441/Sirbrad_2000/DSC00996_zps06c19912.jpg >now take your panty hose out and cut a leg off and roll it up in your hand and CAREFULLY unroll it over your prefilter
as you can see i tried to roll it back down to double it up and i didnt make it, thats why i said i was gonna go back and double it up because 1 layer of the hose is really REALLY thin lol ok now that you got your prefilter this is where ya gotta be a lil bit crafty lmao Grab your 2 6 inch metal coffee cans and use your air grinder to cut off 1 1/2 inchs off the bottom so you have 2 end caps
Ok heres where it gets a bit tricky lay 1 of your end caps down (flat part up) and take your prefilter and put the open end on top of the 6 inch cap and trace the 4 inch hole with a black marker Check the pics underneath for clarification
and you should have sumpin that looks like that :happy: now take your cap with the hole in the middle of it and gently work it on to your prefilter
TAKE NOTE you might have to do some trimming on the inside hole as your first original cut will prolly not fit right on (mine didnt i ended up trimming mine 3 diff times) be sure to only do a little at a time as you can keep going back and trimming a lil at a time where as if you take to much it will be to big of a hole and you wont be able to fill it in with silicone or caulk and you will have to start this step over again :( once you get your cap on there and its the best fit you can get then get your sealent out weather it be silicone or caulk (i would have to be honest here id go with this --->
it dont have to be that exact stuff but a acrylic based silicone but thats my opinion) push the cap down untill you snug up against the hardware cloth of your prefilter then put a good beed of silicone around the outside ring as shown here
and then flip it over
and get a good beed down in there also, if you cant get your gun and tube down in there pump it out of gun onto your finger amd get it down in there BE CAREFULL NOT TO SLICE IN BETWEEN YOUR FINGERS ITS VERY EASY TO DO and be sure to get a good glop in there of that cap forseeing thats the only thing kleeping it from falling apart so this step is rather important to get correct. Now it is also imortant to let it fully cure because if you try and work with it before its cured all the way it again will just fall apart and ya start over again....:banghead: Ok after you have let it cure its time to measure out how much hardware cloth you need as these are 6 inch coffee can 7 or 7 1/2 inch will b good and for the length put your other end cap on (just hold it there and grab your tape measure and measure from end to end of the 6 inch caps (might help to have a 2nd but can b done by 1 person just requires a lil talent:cool:)) now once you got your hardware cloth cut out do the same as you did wrapping up your prefilter, be sure to nip off any sharp points on the hardware cloth so you dont get runs in your hose (NOTE if your using 2 pair of hose 1 or 2 timy holes wont hurt cause the 2nd pair will cover it up) REMINDER the hardware cloth goes on the outsie of your caps, its easier if ya put your clamps on then slide your cloth on!! once you get your cloth on and snug up your clamps REMEMBER dont over tighten and strip them, put your hose on VERY VERY CAREFULLY (dont want ya to have to go chase em when they start running HAHA i couldnt resist lmao) you should have sumpin like this theres my 5 pound bag of activated charchol which i used 3 pounds 10 oz in my 6 by 14 filter the way i filled up my filter is i took the silver cap off (the left one in this picture) and stood it up on end and filled it, but when i put the cap back on there was some charchol on the outside of the cap and when i layed it down a lil fell out so im gonna come up with a way to put some kind of door on the left cover so i dont have to take it off to fill it. but thats pretty much it ill post up one more pic with it hooked up to my fan so yall can see my setup, as for the rest of you farmers you might have diff fan setups so im not really gonna get into that as yall should b able to get it from here :cool: if anyone has a question pretaining to sumpin i didnt mention dont hesitate ti ask and ill gladley help if i can:D
Happy Scrubber Building Farmers!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom