Munch's perpetual grow

• Thread starter Munch517
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Munch517

Munch517

I've been watching this forum for awhile, it's been a great source of knowledge for me but I'm just now joining. I've helped a few friends set up their grows and tried to find answers to their questions, I tend to be someone people turn to when they want to figure something out. Point being that I've been around grows sporadically for awhile and built up a fair bit of knowledge but I'm now doing it the first time for myself.

A little about my setup... I built two rooms in my basement, a 6x6 veg room and a 6x12 flower room, ceilings are about 6.5' tall. I laid cheap linoleum over the floor and reflective insulation on the walls, cracks and crevices are covered in foil tape; all this to make cleaning easier and remove hiding spots for pests.

For lighting I have a Fluence Spydr 2p in my flower room and I'll be adding another one soon, I could potentially squeeze a third one in. I have a cheap Amazon Cob LED in my veg room for now, I'm on the fence about what light to get to replace it. I'm leaning towards a Fluence Razrx.

My setup isn't complete yet. In addition to the new lights I need a mini-split and Co2. For the Co2 controller I've been leaning towards a Trolmaster room controller but I'd like other people's opinions on what to do there.

For nutes (I'm in soil) I'm using almost the whole Heavy 16 line. I use everything of theirs including the foliar, except I replace their roots with House & Garden Roots Excelurator Gold and I use an inoculant from a local company. I follow Heavy 16's feeding schedule and feed with every watering except the occasional "inoculating flush" as recommended by Heavy 16.

Right now I'm at the end of week 4 of flowering with 4 Do-Si-Dos and 2 Gorilla Glues, here's some pics leading up until now:

A little less than a week (day 6) after clones from a friend were potted, I think I started LST a little too early.
Munchs perpetual grow 2

Day 17 of veg
Munchs perpetual grow

Day 27 of veg:
Munchs perpetual grow 3

Day 35 of veg, netting up
Munchs perpetual grow 5

Day 48 of veg/Day 0 of flower
Munchs perpetual grow 6

Day 10 of flower, I added a frame for another layer of netting I won't end up needing
Munchs perpetual grow 7

Day 19 of flower, first defoliation (2 pics)
Munchs perpetual grow 8

Munchs perpetual grow 9

Day 24 of flower
Munchs perpetual grow 10

Day 31 flower (3 pics)
Munchs perpetual grow 12

Munchs perpetual grow 13

Munchs perpetual grow 11

And that's about where I'm at now, I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts or suggestions.

Munchs perpetual grow 4
Mewzette

Mewzette

I've been watching this forum for awhile, it's been a great source of knowledge for me but I'm just now joining. I've helped a few friends set up their grows and tried to find answers to their questions, I tend to be someone people turn to when they want to figure something out. Point being that I've been around grows sporadically for awhile and built up a fair bit of knowledge but I'm now doing it the first time for myself.

A little about my setup... I built two rooms in my basement, a 6x6 veg room and a 6x12 flower room, ceilings are about 6.5' tall. I laid cheap linoleum over the floor and reflective insulation on the walls, cracks and crevices are covered in foil tape; all this to make cleaning easier and remove hiding spots for pests.

For lighting I have a Fluence Spydr 2p in my flower room and I'll be adding another one soon, I could potentially squeeze a third one in. I have a cheap Amazon Cob LED in my veg room for now, I'm on the fence about what light to get to replace it. I'm leaning towards a Fluence Razrx.

My setup isn't complete yet. In addition to the new lights I need a mini-split and Co2. For the Co2 controller I've been leaning towards a Trolmaster room controller but I'd like other people's opinions on what to do there.

For nutes (I'm in soil) I'm using almost the whole Heavy 16 line. I use everything of theirs including the foliar, except I replace their roots with House & Garden Roots Excelurator Gold and I use an inoculant from a local company. I follow Heavy 16's feeding schedule and feed with every watering except the occasional "inoculating flush" as recommended by Heavy 16.

Right now I'm at the end of week 4 of flowering with 4 Do-Si-Dos and 2 Gorilla Glues, here's some pics leading up until now:

A little less than a week (day 6) after clones from a friend were potted, I think I started LST a little too early.
View attachment 885417

Day 17 of veg
View attachment 885416

Day 27 of veg:
View attachment 885419

Day 35 of veg, netting up
View attachment 885421

Day 48 of veg/Day 0 of flower
View attachment 885422

Day 10 of flower, I added a frame for another layer of netting I won't end up needing
View attachment 885424

Day 19 of flower, first defoliation (2 pics)
View attachment 885425

View attachment 885427

Day 24 of flower
View attachment 885428

Day 31 flower (3 pics)
View attachment 885430

View attachment 885431

View attachment 885429

And that's about where I'm at now, I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts or suggestions.
Looking good. Love your cage, great job. A good rule of thumb is K.I.S.S , less is best with fertilizer especially when your soil is bag soil. Fungus gnats are only a nuisance, the won't harm your plants. Looking forward to the rest of your story.

Munch517

Munch517

Looking good. Love your cage, great job. A good rule of thumb is K.I.S.S , less is best with fertilizer especially when your soil is bag soil. Fungus gnats are only a nuisance, the won't harm your plants. Looking forward to the rest of your story.

Thanks, I'm going to veg a little longer next time to make use of the second level of netting. I was really on the fence about whether to add nutes with every watering but it's worked out well so far. The only time my plants seem unhappy is when I give them the lighter "innoculant flush" mix of nutes.

I have been annoyed by some lingering fungus gnats. I also had two leaves with spider mites damage a couple weeks ago, I could only find one live mite. I went ahead and sprayed a few rounds with a mix of Azamax and Captain Jack's deadbug then followed with two sprays of Green Cleaner. I also added diatomaceous on top of the soil and on the floor of the room.

Mewzette

Mewzette

Thanks, I'm going to veg a little longer next time to make use of the second level of netting. I was really on the fence about whether to add nutes with every watering but it's worked out well so far. The only time my plants seem unhappy is when I give them the lighter "innoculant flush" mix of nutes.

I have been annoyed by some lingering fungus gnats. I also had two leaves with spider mites damage a couple weeks ago, I could only find one live mite. I went ahead and sprayed a few rounds with a mix of Azamax and Captain Jack's deadbug then followed with two sprays of Green Cleaner. I also added diatomaceous on top of the soil and on the floor of the room.
Yes spider mites are bad to have, but fungus gnats do not harm your plant. Don't fertilize every watering, you will burn your roots. Your bagged soil has a healthy mix of nutes and too much is not a good thing. Just hang a couple of fly strips and if you can water from the bottom. The gnats only breed in the top two inches of soil that is wet. You can also use sand on top of your soil, the gnats get cut on it. Can't wait to see the end product. Anther good way to kill pests on your plants is a mixture of dawn soap and water and spray on your leaves.

M

MkeNce

Looks great ...cool cage too. Ide only recommend elevating your pots. Some what newb here myself but theres always something to learn I realized already! Bud-to-Bud

Munch517

Munch517

Yes spider mites are bad to have, but fungus gnats do not harm your plant. Don't fertilize every watering, you will burn your roots. Your bagged soil has a healthy mix of nutes and too much is not a good thing. Just hang a couple of fly strips and if you can water from the bottom. The gnats only breed in the top two inches of soil that is wet. You can also use sand on top of your soil, the gnats get cut on it. Can't wait to see the end product. Anther good way to kill pests on your plants is a mixture of dawn soap and water and spray on your leaves.

It's my understanding that even as benign as fungus gnats typically are, if left completely unchecked their larva can cause serious damage to the roots. I've heard of using sand on top of the soil, I may try that next time as using the diatomaceous earth has been a bit of a headache. Either way, their under control now so I'm happy.

As for watering with nutes every time I'd still argue I'm happy with my results so far. Heavy 16 says to look for .5 ph drop from the nute mix to the runoff to indicate no build-up and healthy roots and I've been seeing that consistently. Coupled with no signs of burning I'm going to cautiously proceed with using nutes with every watering. I'll certainly post here if I find differently as a lesson to others.

Looks great ...cool cage too. Ide only recommend elevating your pots. Some what newb here myself but theres always something to learn I realized already! Bud-to-Bud

Thanks. I agree about raising my pots. I think I'm going to end up getting a drain tray and let the runoff go into a bucket where I can easily empty it or pump it out. Removing runoff from each tray with a turkey baster has become a pain lol

Riff Raff

Riff Raff

Plants look happy in that video mate. You have spent a few quid there.. that's a very nice setup. Drain to waste will make your life easier, bit less whisky in your water for the win.

Munch517

Munch517

I went to the grow store today for pots and soil but I saw they had a Razrx in stock so I bought it. I was all set to order a Mars SP250 because the Fluence lights are all on 4-5+ week backorder but I couldn't resist when I saw they had one in stock. It's strictly a veg light, definitely not enough light for flowering but it looks promising for veg. It only uses 90w, they claim it's a replacement for an 4' 8 bulb T5. I'm not 100% sure I'll be happy with the amount of light all the way through veg but I'll be updating the progress here

IMG 20190807 183157

IMG 20190807 183147

Munch517

Munch517

It turns out you were right, I was overfeeding my plants. After seeing some yellowing leaves around day 40 I finally decided to check the ppms of my runoff, tap water and nutrient mix to see what was going on. My tap water starts at around 250ppm and my week 5 flowering mix measures about 1500ppm, after some testing I found that with clean soil I'm getting ~1000ppm rise in the runoff, which is odd to me because the soil should be virtually free of nutrients. Anyways, when I watered my flowering plants with 1500ppm nute mix I was getting runoff at over 4000ppm where I would like it to be around 2500ppm. I ended up making a 10%-15% nute mix and flushed the pots until I was only seeing the 1000ppm rise I expect from the soil, it took almost 20 gallons for my six 5 gallon pots.

Safe to say I'll be regularly watching my runoff ppms and pH from here on out so I can safely feed my plants to their max potential.

Pics from day 46, two days of recovery after flushing. I also added back a second scrog layer:

IMG 20190820 043435

IMG 20190820 043558

Testing between the cheap light and the Fluence light for veg I don't see a lot of difference, though I have been mainlining the plants so they're not really growing to potential yet:
IMG 20190819 032813

IMG 20190819 032807

Munch517

Munch517

Looks pretty well. man. The spyder is so much for me. I was recommended by other people here too.
But i had to go with cheaper quantum board light Mars SP250 due to low budget. How many bucks you spent for this light?

It's a really great light, I think I spent about $1350 on my Spydr 2p, I'm hoping to get a second one soon. I really need CO2 to use them to their potential. The Razrx I'm using in veg was $320, not bad for light that can veg a 2x4 area using 90w.

If I was to buy a cheaper light it would be the Mars SP250, you made a good choice there, it's the most efficient affordable light I know of besides diy options. I've recommended that light to others and I may buy one as a third light in my flower room since a third 4x4 light would be a really tight fit.

Lisa22

Lisa22

I wound up with a few Do Si Do clones and have been having difficulty trying to find basic grow info on them - like how tall the plants get. I had read "medium height" but if you have them with GG and are doing low stress they must get pretty tall? Can you tell me what you know about growing do si do? Thanks

Munch517

Munch517

I don't have very extensive grow experience to know how differently it grows versus other strains, I can really only accurately compare it to gorilla glue. Do-si-do is definitely taller and less bushy than the GG, with similar effort the GG grew outward much more. When I started flower the Do-si and GG were the same height, by the end of flower I had the GG pots sitting up 2-3" and they were still probably 6" shorter than the Do-Si. I'd say about 60% of my space was taken up by 4 Do-Si-Dos and the other 40% was for the 2 GGs, my yield is almost distributed exactly the same. The bud isn't cured yet so I can't really judge either yet but I'm happy with both as far as I can tell right now. I'll be continuing to grow both strains as I was given good phenos and I don't want to go hunting for anything better just yet.

Do-Si on the left GG on the right:
IMG 20190914 202146

Lisa22

Lisa22

Nice Buds!

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to reply. Just your info on the height is going to help me enormously! I can put the Do Si Do in the tent with my Willie Nelson which will also want to grow tall. And now I also know that I need to train and it helps to do that when they are young.

I grew GG4 a couple of grows ago and was happy with the harvest. I would be interest in your comparing Do Si Do and GG4 as far as its effects and what you think about the two and their differences.

MarsHydroLED

MarsHydroLED

Premium Member
Supporter
Nice buds, awesome pictures👍hope you could share the pics with SP250 growing one day😊

Munch517

Munch517

My second crop is on day 38 of flower. I finally got CO2 up and running a few days ago and my second light is ready to go for next round. I also got a Trolmaster grow room controller I've been pretty impressed with that I'll post a video of when I get the last few pieces hooked up.

As things look now:

IMG 20191115 212635
CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Wow dude, this is looking awesome, some good pictures too. Ill be following, youre killing it. Can i ask, it looks like in the video youre using humidity, temp controllers, i mean, obviously, most of us do. but, what brands are you using? I just ask because im using Inkbird and well, it kinda sucks? Would appreciate your input!
Ill be following, clicked the watch button. Dope grows man.

EDIT: Ah re-read, trolmaster, is thatjust for co2?

Top Bottom