MY first outdoor!

• Thread starter jimmyhoffa59
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jimmyhoffa59

jimmyhoffa59

So I am going to do a nice big outdoor this year.. momma letting me have access to a portion of her 20 acres. I have done some research and have a great plot. Because of gophers and moles I have been advised to go along with smart pots to avoid losing some 5+lb plants.

Strains I plan to run are some Purple AK, Grape Ape, Purple Diesel, Blueberry Trainwreck, C4, Bubba Kush..and whatever else I can get my hands on that will yield large WITH color is my goal..

Here is the set up .. so the well is at the top of the hill approx 1500' away from the plot that is way down a hill. It is all a nice down slope. The well produces 27 gpm and fills a 3000 gallon reservoir as backup for the house. My mom said I can use the output valve at the of the tank, its a 1"-1 1/2" pvc outlet valve with a ball valve.. if I open it water rushing out like crazy. Because of the long run down the hill I was thinking of hooking in and using this type of line:

It is the 1000' roll of 1/2" poly mainline drip irrigation tubing.. do you think this would work? I am not sure how to run the water setup at the plot once I have water to it.. I would like relatively inexpensive ideas aside from what I have linked here..I originally wanted to just run a bunch of garden hose down to the site and to another shutoff valve then to sprayers or whatever at the bottom of the hill. This would cost me a fortune in hose to make that reach the poly tubing is inexpensive and lasts up to 8 years in direct sun.

I am planning on running 12-18 100 gallon smart pots. As for dirt I would be retarded trying to grab a couple pallets of Roots Organics 707 dirt bags.. so I am going to just go to like a gravel yard and get some just topsoil and just get my own amendments to add to it and let it bake in the pots for the next few weeks before I plants my clones in the pots. How does that sound? Does anyone have some good sources for the amendments for the SubCools super soil mix?

Also wanted to have some sort of post and shit set up around each smart pot so that if it does get a bad storm or needs a late finish I can put some plastic above the plants to keep them from being destroyed. I believe the elevation is around 1500'.

So in Far Nor Cal is the best time to lay into the outside like late May or what? This is my first time doing an outdoor grow. Will deer be a problem? There are tons of them in the area I imagine.. can I just piss all over to keep them away or better off putting up fencing? Maybe a plastic wolf? LOL

Should I let the plants just take off there own way or will an outdoor grow do good if you bend and break and do all the shit to them you do indoor also? I want to keep them short as I can.. like 6 ft.. so should I stake them down and wide?

Appreciate you guys checking out my thread.. I will get some photos so you guys can help me plan this out.. I have all my plants ready just need to get the plot ready and have a nice water setup so I do not have to constantly check on them.. so I really need sound advice on what I should do with my water situation..

Thanks again..
Jimmmmmmmmy!:harvest:

P

primeform

Id run 1" poly down to another smaller tank (500 gallons). Then you can run your drip line system out of there.

You could put them under a hoop house made of pvc that you could put the plastic over if you get a storm.

T-posts and 6 foot plastic fence to keep out deer and other pests if they are a problem.

You can use tomato cages instead of pulling them down and top them a couple times to make them bushier. Your strain selection would help here too.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
ok Im not sure if smart pots will save you from gophers and ground squirrels - couple of layers of chicken wire on the ground under and maybe at least 6 inches up the sides would help

I have seen some really destuctive gophers - they will chew through drip lines and wreak havoc

for deer and storms you can make hoop houses out of pvc - cover the hoops with deer screen and if you got some rain coming you can throw tarps over those

get your plants going inside for now and put out half way through may and you should be golden

pretty much sounds like a solid plan - good luck with the grow

jimmyhoffa59

jimmyhoffa59

Thats shitty, I never heard of them gophers going through the smart pots.. little bastards I have seen these hoop house things.. is it just regular pvc bent like that?

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
yup pound some rebar in the ground and slip pvc over it

you can get fancy and drill some holes in the pvc 5 feet up on either side of the hoop and run bailing wire through each hole and around the pvc one time and connect all the hoops to keep them tight

then you can use the wire to hold up the deer screen

S

Sunbiz1

I deal w/deer every year, they will eat young plants but do not distinguish or prefer the herb over anything else. They simply eat what is available to coincide w/their 4 chamber digestive system. By mid-Summer they move on to berries and mushrooms etc. The biggest problem is not their appetite, but rather their clumsy ass hooves. Find their paths, and do not plant near them. Deer can be re-directed to use different paths with a heavy gauge fishing line. I string it repeatedly(using existing trees)from 2-4 feet above the ground. This discourages them and they go around.

A heavy twine will work just as well, but both need 5-6 passes around the trees to hold.

Good luck on the grow, sounds like quite a project!

C

crossouttheiis

Hey jimmy... it is sad to see you go away from the UC forum... but Ill be there with you in your outdoor run :). I was wondering how big of smart pots are you thinking about going with?

Last year I ran 200 gallon smart pots with a lot of success. A few things I learned and saw that helped a lot...

*cover the surrounding area in the smart pot with straw (doesnt have seeds like hay). This prevents weeds and other things from growing in your pot because they wont get light.

* plants act really well to foliar feeding. i fed mine with cal 25 and some stuff called brix mix. (There is a whole lot more you can feed them aside from that but that is where I started.

* check out the forum tom hill seeds on the mag and look for a thread called growing large plants outdoors.... There is a bunch of sick ass growers and a wealth of knowledge.

* trellis the girls multiple times in the season ( that thread goes over everything im posting pretty much)

Good luck though and I hope you turn out a great one. Hoop houses are awesome though and pretty cheap. if you are interested in seeing how mine look I could post a picture.

C

crossouttheiis

Here us a picture of the trellis and hoop house both cheap to make

http://i298.invalid.com/albums/mm275/cruzma1/2010-10-05_11-05-36_692.jpg

And youll get shit looking like th is

http://i298.invalid.com/albums/mm275/cruzma1/2010-09-27_15-44-49_134.jpg

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Just read this VERY quickly, and I wanted to mention that with the water pressure I think you're going to get coming out of that tank you're probably going to want to install a pressure regulator or you could blow out the dripper lines. Don't ask how I know. 30psi is what I think we have installed for my planter, but it might be the 60psi unit.

Step that down to quarter inch tubing for the drippers that feed the girls. I use... fuck, now I can't remember if they're the 1gph or 1/2gph drippers. Damn it! Anyway, when the girls are growing strong in veg phase they get about 1/2gal every other day. When it starts getting really hot and they're starting to set bud they get 1/2gal every day. This is for a big planter, so I'm sure you can treat those big SmartPots very similarly though I would expect them to dry out much more quickly than a big wood planter.

Hortonova is the easiest product I've found for supporting the girls, and I start laying it in when they hit around 3' tall, horizontally over the tops, and then when they've gotten really big and those buds are ready to start flopping over I wrap it around.

The only truly effective material I've found to use for gophers is hardware cloth, the quarter inch stuff. I'm sure you could wrap a SmartPot with it, as well as an underlayment. I have found they can easily fit through chicken wire. A good gophering dog would be a great addition here.

As for soil, yes, do the topsoil and then amend it yourself with the following, which you can adjust, add to or subtract as you feel is necessary:
Good compost
Greensand
Soft rock phosphate
Kelp meal
Alfalfa (meal, hay, pellets, whatever you want)
Azomite
Micronized humic acid (MicroHume)
Dolomitic lime
Chicken shit
Bat shit
Bird shit (optional, as in if you can find it)
Worm castings (not necessary in following years assuming they're able to gain access to same soil mass throughout the years)
Dr. Earth Organic premix (1st year I did Organic 5 for veggies, 2nd year I did Organic 4 for acid-loving plants, this year I hope to try Organic 8 for fruit trees) or equivalent like Gardener & Bloom
Mycos (don't do this too early, they'll only live a few weeks in absence of roots)

Uh... I'll have to go downstairs and look at all the boxes, I'm drawing some blanks right now and so I'm not sure if this is a complete list. But all of that got mixed into the first batch, and is top-dressed every other year. Every year on all the beds we top with a good layer of Gardener & Bloom's Harvest Supreme, which is an excellent mulch that's inoculated with microbes and mycos.

Then in October you should be walkin' like this ---> :harvest:

Top Bottom