My first time growing cannabis.

• Thread starter firsttimeer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

firsttimeer

Hi. So it's my first time growing cannabis and we've doing it in a tent.

A friend gave me some old seeds, White Gold, Rainbow and Train Wreck strains. The bags weren't marked so it's going to be a cannabis surprise.

Put 4 in water, they cracked but didn't make it. Seen a post about adding peroxide to the water and that worked like a charm. So we have 4 plants alive and sprouted in the tent under a grow light. had to manually remove the seed casings, the leaves couldn't push it off. Using a Technaflora fertilizer pack, mix with water and go. The water here has a pH of about 7.3 - added a bit of vinegar to get it to about 6.8. Using a 16/6 light cycle. Is all this cool?

Anyone have any good tips for a newbie to get a good crop? I never had much of a green thumb.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hi. So it's my first time growing cannabis and we've doing it in a tent.

A friend gave me some old seeds, White Gold, Rainbow and Train Wreck strains. The bags weren't marked so it's going to be a cannabis surprise.

Put 4 in water, they cracked but didn't make it. Seen a post about adding peroxide to the water and that worked like a charm. So we have 4 plants alive and sprouted in the tent under a grow light. had to manually remove the seed casings, the leaves couldn't push it off. Using a Technaflora fertilizer pack, mix with water and go. The water here has a pH of about 7.3 - added a bit of vinegar to get it to about 6.8. Using a 16/6 light cycle. Is all this cool?

Anyone have any good tips for a newbie to get a good crop? I never had much of a green thumb.
Hi, welcome. I;m not sure about your fert pack but I don't really feed the first few weeks in Promix type soil. I germinate, plant in solo cups then transplant up as needed...my lighting hours are 18/16 or 20/ 4 for faster growth. I'll transplant into 1 gal pots at around 2 weeks then .water to seat into her new soil, then at about 3 weeks I'll give them their first light feed....Others have different methods for success that's mine.... at about 1 month they go into 3 gal pots...2 months 5 gal.

F

firsttimeer

Using half gallon pots, filled half with sanded soil on the bottom and topped it off with promix. Will hold off feeding for a while. Thanks. It's a bit of a learning curve.

The_word

The_word

Use fabric pots for your final pots and water at between 22-23°c.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Keep your feedwater at around 6.3 - 6.5 PH if you are growing in dirt. If you are growing in a different type of media like coco coir then you want to PH your feedwater to around 5.8 - 6.2. Same if you are growing hydroponically.

You can use vinegar to drop PH but it is not recommended for the long haul. Buy some PH Up and Down and use it to adjust your PH.

I assume you have a PH meter if you are able to measure PH unless you are using paper strips. Again, usable but I would look to a PH pen rather than using strips. Strips are not the most accurate. I use Bluelab brand pens. They are pricey but they are also rugged and reliable.

I'd remove the sanded media and go all Pro Mix. It should have plenty of perlite for drainage. I personally use a soil mix called Roots Organic Original and have had success with it. I like to add some Mycorrhizae to the soil mix to promote root health. I agree about running cloth pots. I would use a gallon pot when you change out the media and pot up to a 3 or 5 gallon depending on what grow style you choose.

Typical Veg light schedule is 18/6 although some will run it 20/2 or even 24 straight. Typical Flower light schedule is 12/12 although some go 14/10. I would stick with the 12/12 for now.

RonnieB2nd

RonnieB2nd

Im not bashing but Im a fan of natural. Do what seeds do, plant them in the pots directly or jiffy seed starters, put the pointy end down and put it about 1/8 of an inch under the soil of the Jiffy, in a warm dark place. This practice has never failed me but once, the seed sprouted fine, but got hung up in the netting and died before I could catch it. Now I pull the netting back and zero failure rate. I do deal with helmet head a lot but thats not a big problem at all ...

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Keep your feedwater at around 6.3 - 6.5 PH if you are growing in dirt. If you are growing in a different type of media like coco coir then you want to PH your feedwater to around 5.8 - 6.2. Same if you are growing hydroponically.

You can use vinegar to drop PH but it is not recommended for the long haul. Buy some PH Up and Down and use it to adjust your PH.

I assume you have a PH meter if you are able to measure PH unless you are using paper strips. Again, usable but I would look to a PH pen rather than using strips. Strips are not the most accurate. I use Bluelab brand pens. They are pricey but they are also rugged and reliable.

I'd remove the sanded media and go all Pro Mix. It should have plenty of perlite for drainage. I personally use a soil mix called Roots Organic Original and have had success with it. I like to add some Mycorrhizae to the soil mix to promote root health. I agree about running cloth pots. I would use a gallon pot when you change out the media and pot up to a 3 or 5 gallon depending on what grow style you choose.

Typical Veg light schedule is 18/6 although some will run it 20/2 or even 24 straight. Typical Flower light schedule is 12/12 although some go 14/10. I would stick with the 12/12 for now.
ph up and down is synthetic and is killing anything organic in your medium..

RonnieB2nd

RonnieB2nd

ph up and down is synthetic and is killing anything organic in your medium..
My water source is natural and its been natural 6.0-6.,5 for this entire grow ,,, I havent had to use anything so far maybe thats why this grow is doing so good..They are exploding with growth....I didn't know that either, thank you

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
My water source is natural and its been natural 6.0-6.,5 for this entire grow ,,, I havent had to use anything so far maybe thats why this grow is doing so good..They are exploding with growth....I didn't know that either, thank you
well there are ways around it if using it with an organic medium and nutrients, like watering it down a bit before using trying to keep ph within a close range than many microbes should be fine, when there’s big swings when using it that will kill lots off..
ph ing is not my thing so take that part with a grain of salt haha..
i never ph, ppm, or anything, no clue, keep everything “organic” than no need too bother with all that stuff..

RonnieB2nd

RonnieB2nd

well there are ways around it if using it with an organic medium and nutrients, like watering it down a bit before using trying to keep ph within a close range than many microbes should be fine, when there’s big swings when using it that will kill lots off..
ph ing is not my thing so take that part with a grain of salt haha..
i never ph, ppm, or anything, no clue, keep everything “organic” than no need too bother with all that stuff..
I used to use organic and synthetic but I dont know enough about organic to go full on O.....Golden Tree is awesome, House and gardens Root Excelurator Neptunes harvest seaweed, and Aminos from House and gardens

Latest posts

Top Bottom