My Fungus Gnats DGAF yo....

• Thread starter bellumromanum
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bellumromanum

bellumromanum

Hi guys,

I have a first grow going, organic living soil in a 4x4 tent. Using the Earthbox Probiotic Wellness Gardens just to keep things simple while I learn about organic farming. Things are going pretty fucking rad except I got these fungus gnats yo and they don't give one single solitary fuck what kind of struggle I'm going through.

I was going to flip my ladies this weekend because we're about into week 5 of veg and they're getting to the max height I feel comfortable with before they stretch but I CANNOT get rid of these fungus gnats. Thought the neem oil in the foilar spray was working but they kept surging back so I ordered some Neem Seed Meal to do a top soil dressing with and they couldn't care less. Now the spray doesn't really seem to do much either and when I lift the mulch cover from one box they like fly out The Mummy style like Brendan Fraiser tryna dome up a cloud of bugs straight into my mouf. Fuck.

At first I thought it was cause I was doing compost tea and SST soil drenches (and the earthboxes are already SIPs) so I figured it was getting too moist. I let it full dry out and did another neem seed meal topdress and they're still here just disrespecting my shit.

I don't wanna flip to flower and end up with a bunch of fucked off buds in my sticky icky.

#sendhelp #hepme

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

I was thinking about mixing some neem seed oil into the next SST soil drench I do and see if that works? Or is that gonna shock & awe my roots?

zzzybil

zzzybil

diamateous earth is non toxic ........dust it around and on top your soil ............it'll wash in when you water so repeat when top starts to dry between watering . SAUCERS of beer attract and drown them . Sticky tape . Lastly water deeply LESS OFTEN . Too wet enviroment is yuh issue . Also if you can cool down your space to 70f max a few days break their multiplying cycle till the other stuff gets a chance to work . the de needs to be dry and your soil is too wet causing the issue imo........ Yuh need to dry out a bit more .The de will kill'm but the too wet enviroment needs to stop

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Product called Microbe Lift. It is a natural bacteria that attacks the larvae. I use 4 drops per gallon of water. Its the same thing that is found in mosquito dunks but more concentrated and in a better suspension.

The fliers are controlled with yellow sticky cards. Hang above canopy and lay on top of soil to trap gnats.

Thats the organic way.

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

diamateous earth is non toxic ........dust it around and on top your soil ............it'll wash in when you water so repeat when top starts to dry between watering . SAUCERS of beer attract and drown them . Sticky tape . Lastly water deeply LESS OFTEN . Too wet enviroment is yuh issue . Also if you can cool down your space to 70f max a few days break their multiplying cycle till the other stuff gets a chance to work . the de needs to be dry and your soil is too wet causing the issue imo........ Yuh need to dry out a bit more .The de will kill'm but the too wet enviroment needs to stop

Agreed dude, too moist.

Product called Microbe Lift. It is a natural bacteria that attacks the larvae. I use 4 drops per gallon of water. Its the same thing that is found in mosquito dunks but more concentrated and in a better suspension.

The fliers are controlled with yellow sticky cards. Hang above canopy and lay on top of soil to trap gnats.

Thats the organic way.

Sweet, thanks guys!

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

Thats the organic way.

Actually had some mosquito dunks on the way - canceled the order and swapped if for Microbe Lift and already had the yellow pads on the way. Amazon Prime 1-day I'll test it out tomorrow. Really appreciate the tip, thank you.

Otherwise I feel like I'm doing pretty decent. Nice healthy fungal beard when I lift the covers, plants are thriving, basically can't be stopped. I think I over-trimmed the shit out of them (again first grow) getting ready to flip and just days later it's hard to tell:

Under Cover:
Beard

After Smack'n em back a little too far (6.19.2020):

20200619 064924
20200619 064928

Three days later - the covers are up to help dry topsoil out a bit - (6.22.2020):

20200622 111437
20200622 114715

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

Thats the organic way.

@MIMedGrower couple more questions if you don't mind terribly - my Microbial Lift was already delivered and I have a gnarly looking AACT ready to go that I was going to put in the soil tonight. Will the Microbial Lift negatively impact the AACT or the existing life in the soil? If not, is there any other reason not to mix it in with an AACT or SST?

Thanks!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

@MIMedGrower couple more questions if you don't mind terribly - my Microbial Lift was already delivered and I have a gnarly looking AACT ready to go that I was going to put in the soil tonight. Will the Microbial Lift negatively impact the AACT or the existing life in the soil? If not, is there any other reason not to mix it in with an AACT or SST?

Thanks!

Directions are to add directly to irrigation water or fertilizer mix. They warn no chlorine.

But i dont know what would happen if you bubbled it with the tea. I would contact the company.

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

Directions are to add directly to irrigation water or fertilizer mix. They warn no chlorine.

But i dont know what would happen if you bubbled it with the tea. I would contact the company.
Not even so much bubble it but was thinking I'd add it after it's done brewing right before I put it in...

Spdsqr

Spdsqr

Did you ever have any luck with getting rid of the gnats without ruining the mycelium? I am new and having same issue. For some reason my plants strive for 3-5 weeks then act like the have nutrient difficincies and I can only think it’s all the gnats. Any help would be awesome! I can’t find a lot about the issues of growing marijuana in an earthbox online

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

I use Microbe lift with all of my organic concoctions and no problems. I also tend to use too much most of the time. It goes drop, drop, drop, squirt. lol I also use the Mosquito Bits and, I still have some gnats but manageable.

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

Did you ever have any luck with getting rid of the gnats without ruining the mycelium? I am new and having same issue. For some reason my plants strive for 3-5 weeks then act like the have nutrient difficincies and I can only think it’s all the gnats. Any help would be awesome! I can’t find a lot about the issues of growing marijuana in an earthbox online

I did actually man. I used a combination of nematodes and predator mites and KO'd them completely.

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

I use Microbe lift with all of my organic concoctions and no problems. I also tend to use too much most of the time. It goes drop, drop, drop, squirt. lol I also use the Mosquito Bits and, I still have some gnats but manageable.

Highly recommend checking out Arbico Organics when you have a pest issue. Their website has pest eradication guides for most of the nastys you might encounter in your garden and how to combat each of them at multiple levels.

zzzybil

zzzybil

Try DE - and lettin your medium dry out between watering - gnats = too wet

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

Right on. I did nematodes, and it seemed to help but did not radiate them. We the predator mites okay for your plants?

Worked great man, once I let those out in conjunction with the nematodes I basically never saw another gnat on the sticky pad

Top Bottom